• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens White Flower, C.Pubescens

Ok here is something to think about!!!!
I received the seeds from the seed bank in the Netherlands as CGN 22797.
I have 4 plants 3 are your normal purple flowered C. Pubescens, however the fourth plant has white flowers...,

Here are 2 pics of the normal purple flower variety

IMG_3879.jpg
IMG_3893.jpg

Were they all black seeds? and is the white flowered plant hairy like the others? It doesn't appear so in the pic

Wait and see what comes out of the flower.

May be a mix up of seeds and you might have an Annum on hand.

To my one fully functional eye, the plant itself looks different.

the plant has less pubescense than the purple flowered plant, all the seeds were black and the growth pattern is the same as the other C. Pubescens i.e.the plant is more wide than the high

Is it absolutely impossible to get a cross pollination between C. pubescens and f.e. C. annuum? Or are just the odds really really bad?

Could it be that seed stock is not pure!? Time will tell, I guess... I once grew a pubescens with almost white flowers (i.e. some very pale purplish on flowers) - it is called Rocoto San Isidro and is avaliable from Semillas (http://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi) Do a search...

A very rare treat in pubescens, but I find the dark purple flowers prettier...

There are some pubes out there that have white as well as purple in the petals maybe it's a cross with one of them and has just not put the purple in!!!
The plant does look like a pube all be it less hairy.
I'll be first to say save the seeds!! I'm pm you my addy :lol:

I have just recieved some seeds labled White Flowered C.Pubescens.
I'll let everyone know when I grow them out if I get white flowers.

And here is same plant Aji Mongol with purple flowers,It was ony one white flower on the plant I don't even know if I save the seeds from this one or not.
AjiMongolP1000414.jpg

I've had several Pubes put out faded purple/white buds but never all white.Some were really close to white but not white,always at least a tint of purple.
Might be a combination of genes and growing conditions.I don't know.
just another reason to grow more pepper varieties and strains.

No such thing as too many peppers.

Back