• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Who made the Best Burger(s) of THP 2017?

Vote!

• Veggie - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64684-begin-the-dual-burger-duel/page-32#entry1464066]Oz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gator - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64684-begin-the-dual-burger-duel/page-32#entry1464080]Stu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like both, but feel compelled to argue about it on behalf of SV ...

Wrapping blows the counter argument, since it's functionally a braise ...

Typical smoke session:

- period of taking smoke until surface temp too high and surface moisture too low
- period of cooking
- extended period for tenderizing

Telling me you prefer the degrees of braise of wrapping/tenting/boating over SV falls under cool story bro ...

Oxidation is the enemy of flavor, so SV inherently wins the technique battle for the cooking portion ...

Since I've actually done it, I'll tell you - sub'ing in SV for portion of the total cooking of a brisket or plate ribs instead of all fire makes for a tastier outcome in my real experience if you like beef flavor ...

Don't be the guy who praises ribeye for flavor, and then does't care about losing potential flavor brisket ...

You can argue before you try it, but not from higher ground ...

So, like I said, try it and report back ;) ...

big-lebowski-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg

All of those "issues" you describe in a normal smoke all come down to talent and technique lol.  

SV is for people who can't learn, or there are a lot of them or who don't have the space/tools, to properly make a brisket.  Briskets are hard, and people want an easier way out.  However with SV, as seen pretty much anywhere, the cook itself loses some of the BBQ character.  These are done in blind side by side taste tests with foodie pros who can pick out the BBQ and pick out the SV and what they prefer.  Even if its just with the supplemental "cook" portion.
Sure its good to impress your friends with technology and bling, we get that, you like your toys lol. Be like (I had this stake at 131.2455298389 degrees for 4727 minutes!) But to come in here and say its the best way is pretty asinine especially when cooking is subjective :)

It would bug me too when I have all the gadgets and youtube videos about SV, random 4 star chef advice (but conversely have to chefexplain to people why techniques are better, and tell people they are stupid if they disagree) and what not to get beat by simplicity.

just don't say it tastes better for being solely made on a grill and that's great ...

if you want to place a priority on cook-purity over a hybrid cook, be my guest ...

You, I, BigB, FB ... we all already stated earlier that the beef flavor ... the BEEF flavor ... was greatest SV ...

I'm saying that I think it's worth considering taking the middle portion of a brisket cook and bagging it and extending it over a couple of days at a lower, closely held temp in an effort to end up with a more flavorful result ...

I'm testing this.

I messaged you with excitement that my initial foray was promising.

You can either try it, or you can listen to me share my experience! =)

calchilihead said:
big-lebowski-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg

All of those "issues" you describe in a normal smoke all come down to talent and technique lol.  

SV is for people who can't learn, or there are a lot of them or who don't have the space/tools, to properly make a brisket.  Briskets are hard, and people want an easier way out.  However with SV, as seen pretty much anywhere, the cook itself loses some of the BBQ character.  These are done in blind side by side taste tests with foodie pros who can pick out the BBQ and pick out the SV and what they prefer.  Even if its just with the supplemental "cook" portion.
Sure its good to impress your friends with technology and bling, we get that, you like your toys lol. Be like (I had this stake at 131.2455298389 degrees for 4727 minutes!) But to come in here and say its the best way is pretty asinine especially when cooking is subjective :)

It would bug me too when I have all the gadgets and youtube videos about SV, random 4 star chef advice (but conversely have to chefexplain to people why techniques are better, and tell people they are stupid if they disagree) and what not to get beat by simplicity.
This is too stupid to parse out and address bit by bit.

Are you suggesting bbq is the pinnacle of culinary accomplishment? ...

grantmichaels said:
just don't say it tastes better for being solely made on a grill and that's great ...

if you want to place a priority on cook-purity over a hybrid cook, be my guest ...

You, I, BigB, FB ... we all already stated earlier that the beef flavor ... the BEEF flavor ... was greatest SV ...

I'm saying that I think it's worth considering taking the middle portion of a brisket cook and bagging it and extending it over a couple of days at a lower, closely held temp in an effort to end up with a more flavorful result ...

I'm testing this.

I messaged you with excitement that my initial foray was promising.

You can either try it, or you can listen to me share my experience! =)

Well if all you are after is the beef flavor, then SV away.  Keep the meat off the BBQ because anything other then heat (i.e. smoke, spices, wood, pan ect and just have a basically a boiled piece of meat) affects the flavor and diminishes the flavor of the BEEF.  Thats the ultimate beef flavor lol  But again thats not BBQ :)

I'll make two promises:

1) If Booma tries it and disagrees, I'll yield to his determination.
2) Whatever method produces the reliably-best results is the one I'll be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back