• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Why always cook salsa????????

I am OK with canned salsa, or salsa made with stewed tomatoes in the winter, or even the occasional cooked salsa in the summer.

But I have heard a few people here say that they always cook salsa.

My greatest pleasure in the summer, is when I can take tomatoes ripe off the vine, onions that were in dirt 5 minutes before, ripe pods right off of the plants, a little salt, maybe some garlic or cilantro, and make the freshest tastiest salsa you can get.

In that instance, I would be horrified to see someone cook all of that fresh goodness.

I agree Cheezy...I only cook what I am planning on canning...if I am making it to use over say a 10 day period, I won't cook it and just keep it in the refrigerator until it is gone...

To me cooking does have one important benefit...you get the taste mixed quicker than just letting it sit and stirring it...JMO

I've never even considered cooking it. When i make salsa or pico de gallo it goes straight into the fridge for an hour or so to blend.

One exception I made recently was to add some tomato paste to the fresh ingredients. It really is good. You still get the fresh ingredients, but the paste makes it really thick.

I got the idea from a local restaraunt that has really thick but really tasty salsa.

Only ever fresh..Would love to can but getting anything but industrial canning over in the u.k is impossible :)

talas said:
Would love to can but getting anything but industrial canning over in the u.k is impossible :)

all you need is a pressure cooker and the jars with tops/lids...surely you can get those in the UK...

Potawies right...

Canned salsa should always be cooked.
I cook a lot of salsa for winter canning, but fresh is obviously much nicer

I never make salsa with the intention of canning it anyways....it just wont last long enough to get into the jars;)

AlabamaJack said:
all you need is a pressure cooker and the jars with tops/lids...surely you can get those in the UK...

Canning here means with aluminum cans and we call using bottles/glass/Kilner containers pickling :)

again, you brits need to learn to speak english...roflmao

I always wondered why we call it "canning". We call it pickling here if we are pickling something in vinegar, but sauces, salsas, jams etc. are just "canned"

All i know is that i'm very well 'pickled' after 10 or so dirty martinis and i'm 'canned' if i get too beligerent at the bar

cheezydemon said:
I am OK with canned salsa, or salsa made with stewed tomatoes in the winter, or even the occasional cooked salsa in the summer.

But I have heard a few people here say that they always cook salsa.

My greatest pleasure in the summer, is when I can take tomatoes ripe off the vine, onions that were in dirt 5 minutes before, ripe pods right off of the plants, a little salt, maybe some garlic or cilantro, and make the freshest tastiest salsa you can get.

In that instance, I would be horrified to see someone cook all of that fresh goodness.

Raw tomatos are, to me, one of the most revolting things imaginable.
Something about the combination of the smell and the texture makes me want to hurl.
Strange, considering I always have at least 8 plants in, and my tomato harvests are a thing of beauty.
So, all my salsa is cooked salsa. Peeling and quartering the raw tomatos is a total nightmare, but worth it. I have homemade salsa all year round.

So for me: raw tomatos are as appetizing as rotten fish, my Mother is the same way. Can't stand them raw, love them when cooked. I blame my DNA.

I don't eat raw tomatoes on a sandwich, or any other way than salsa.

There is something about the spice that makes them great.

Back