• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Why do transplanted seedlings burn in the sun?

Howdy people!

Short story for the beginning of my second year growing peppers with ya'll. I have been swamped at work and I completely forgot to plant my seeds until Spring Break and that is when I should have put my transplants outside! Even after I set up my lights and stand last year, bought a heating pad and made the pvc light stand it still slipped past me. Anyway, I planted my cuc's, swiss chard, tomato plants and pepper seeds direct in the garden two weeks ago and some more peppers inside on the heating pad.

I have had quite a few sprouts so I transplanted a few direct in the garden and they fried in a few days.

Here is the question, why are my vegetable sprouts not burning?

I would think hooks are just as tender when they emerge in the garden as hooks transplanted to the garden.

Do I have time and should I keep trying to germinate peppers inside?

SV

Howdy people!

Short story for the beginning of my second year growing peppers with ya'll. I have been swamped at work and I completely forgot to plant my seeds until Spring Break and that is when I should have put my transplants outside! Even after I set up my lights and stand last year, bought a heating pad and made the pvc light stand it still slipped past me. Anyway, I planted my cuc's, swiss chard, tomato plants and pepper seeds direct in the garden two weeks ago and some more peppers inside on the heating pad.

I have had quite a few sprouts so I transplanted a few direct in the garden and they fried in a few days.

Here is the question, why are my vegetable sprouts not burning?

I would think hooks are just as tender when they emerge in the garden as hooks transplanted to the garden.

Do I have time and should I keep trying to germinate peppers inside?

SV

You have to harden off pepper seedlings and tomato seedlings before you put them in the garden. Some vegetables do well directly sowed like cucumbers and beans - but not peppers and tomatoes grown from seed under artificial lights.

I set them in a nursery outside about the third week of March that's protected from full sun. Then, I put them in an area that gets partial sun for about a week.

Yesterday, I put my seedlings in the spots where I intend to grow.

Zone 8B - April 1 is my "go ahead" date and I still will be cautious....

That's just the way it is........

They grow excellent if directly sown...
They come up with the sunshine!
But if ya have em gettin artificial light they have to be hardened off! Period!

Kevin

SV - what part of TX are you in? I used to live in the Houston area, and grew various things direct-sow back then. If you're getting excessive heat (which in theory, you shouldn't right now), that would do it, as would under-watering. What are your temps like? Also, have you checked your soil? Anything in it that would burn your plants? (Even fertilizing too soon can burn them.)

geeme,

I am in the B/CS area, but I think my question is misunderstood.

If I direct sow in the garden, a seedling generally emerges and does not die in a few days.

If I germinate seeds inside, and transplant them as soon as they emerge, they die.

SV...here is why....read the introduction...it has to do with the deltas in the intensity of the artificial light and sunlight

http://books.google.com/books?id=L7op-CiBZ6AC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=what+mechanism+protects+plants+from+sunshine&source=bl&ots=UZK4lVlesL&sig=WsbQvmP9ML_2D1f0WPh-nFLR4HU&hl=en&ei=V62VTcbVKovegQfLk5G1CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

+1 on AJ's article. There is a big difference between artificial light and sunlight (intensity, radiation, etc.) and how plants naturally react to both.

and if you are really interested in the actual mechanism...read this...it talks about the light attenuating effect of anthocyanin...

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/94/5/784

You have to harden off pepper seedlings and tomato seedlings before you put them in the garden. Some vegetables do well directly sowed like cucumbers and beans - but not peppers and tomatoes grown from seed under artificial lights.

I set them in a nursery outside about the third week of March that's protected from full sun. Then, I put them in an area that gets partial sun for about a week.

hey, how do you harden off seedlings?

I have a partial sun area behind my pool house. I set up a nursery area with saw horses and plywood. I place the plants here for a week or so when I want to start hardening off. They stay here for about a week where they get acclimated to cool evenings - they are also protected from the wind. They get some sun, but nothing powerful.

I keep an eye on weather conditions. Earlier this week, we had a deluge after which I planted up the transplants in pots and placed where I want them. They would have otherwise stayed in this transition spot for a few more days. I will keep an eye on the weather forecast to make sure nothing major happens for awhile.

Just to clarify an earlier comment, I have successfully sown directly into the ground, but this works mostly after the soil has warmed. For late season chinense varieties, direct sowing means you're probably going to have to overwinter because by the time the plants get ready to pod, the season is ending.....

Back