• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Wild Game or Fish

If this exists the super search feature failed to direct me...

I would love everyone to post plates of food from something they caught or killed hunting.

First up....ugly plate but a southern classic, fried venison and onions...I like to put pepper powder in the breading.

Shorerider said:
Here's a few fish from a spearfishing trip. From left to right Boarfish, Australian Salmon and King George Whiting.

Boarfish was 45cm long which is quite large for the species. 
20140113_115714.jpg

Boarfish prepped for the oven. Oregano, Parsley, Mint, Thyme (all fresh from my garden) garlic, lemon, salt, pepper and a little soy sauce and olive oil. 
20140114_164946.jpg

Boarfish has a very white, firm flesh and is an excellent table fish. Only one can be taken per person per day. Ugly but delicious.......
20140114_180227.jpg

SR.
Since you are in Australia I wanted to ask if you ever come across sea snakes when spearfishing in shallow waters. 

GhostPepperz said:
Since you are in Australia I wanted to ask if you ever come across sea snakes when spearfishing in shallow waters.
I live in the state of Victoria, which is located in Southern Australia. I have not encountered a sea snake as they tend to live further north in warmer waters.

I have however encountered numerous Moray Eels while diving off the coast of New South Wales. They are aggressive bastards and are very territorial. They will chase away anything that gets too close to its hole/cave. I've even had one attack me while cleaning fish in shallow water.

Good thing is though, Moray Eels taste great!

SR.

Rairdog said:
Drunken SD venison burger pie....I need to lighten the top SD crust with some butter and a lil more flakey.

Chesus Christ on a motorbike that looks awesome.

BigB said:
Beautiful fish!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Venison and bean chili, pintos were from scratch topped with some white cheddar and pepper powder.

12688154_1155795451120846_6646847130340335473_n.jpg
Looks like that will keep you warm on this ridiculously cold night!

This picture is much more boring than all of the exotic game in this thread, but I feel like sharing.  This is my system for preparing my snappers, which are young bluefish.  I prefer the younger ones, as they haven’t yet developed the oily bluefish flavor that I’m not terribly fond of.

While I am still fishing, I keep my catch fresh in a bucket of saltwater.  If it is hot and sunny and I’m going to be out for a while, I’ll add ice to the bucket.

I don’t like wasting meat and it is really easy to eat around the snapper bones, so I don’t bother filleting.  As soon as I get home, I cut the heads off and gut them.  Cutting the tails off is a waste of perfectly good meat.  I vacuum seal and freeze anything that I’m not going to eat any right away.

To defrost, I leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then (while still vacuum packed) on a room temperature counter for 3 and a half hours.  I can achieve the same level of “defrostedness” by going straight from the freezer to the counter and leaving for 7-8 hours.  I split the fish into two pieces by cutting on the side of the backbone.  I used to pull the backbones off, but a friend of mine told me that cooking with the backbone on will add flavor.  Then, I dump a big glob of salted butter in a frying pan and turn the gas up to high.  As soon as the butter is melted, I put the fish in the pan.  After two minutes and 45 seconds, I flip sides and fry for another 2 minutes and 45 seconds. 

This is how I like it!

dkF6wqy.jpg

Back