• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
That is very interesting. I wonder if they will remain deciduous-berried..
Are the leaves on that one bigger than the others that seem true?
The 3 plants looked identical to one another when I potted up this one a few weeks back. The leaves look more like PaulG's second plant in post 724, above. Do these pods look different than yours? I'm not sure what to expect with this one, though I suppose I was expecting the pods to be a bit smaller (they're about an inch) and more upright.

The 3 plants looked identical to one another when I potted up this one a few weeks back. The leaves look more like PaulG's second plant in post 724, above. Do these pods look different than yours? I'm not sure what to expect with this one, though I suppose I was expecting the pods to be a bit smaller (they're about an inch) and more upright.
The true one would be with upright deciduous berries that are about the same size/look as the berries produced by Solanum dulcamara, aka Bittersweet.. More like an egg than a tube or cone. Unfortunately not produced in bunches though. Here's a crappy picture of the mother that cutting I posted recently. If it wasn't for that cutting, she'd be gone. The only real difference I've noticed in the two I have from original seed is the habit.. This one likes to spread, the other, pictured in the airpot(Rabbitbit), is more upright in nature.
20210807_193710.jpg

I've been in my head trying to imagine what could have caused the cross you have.. Most of the stuff I can picture growing near it had upright pods. Yours look tasty!

Were yours from the train too.. Or isolated? I've yet to grow either out.

Several years back I had a C. Galapagoense in ground and managed to get a few pods but never ripened ones. Best of luck on this variety Paul Thanks, James!
I have been very pleased with this plant. It's
an OW from last season still in a #1NC pot. I
grew a galapagoense outside some years back,
but it never really flowered much and really did
not have any more berries than this one has now.
Getting ready to move it to the deck under the
canopy.

The berries on my 2020 plant were upright
and sort of like a chacoense pod, but a bit bigger.
Pic below.

The true one would be with upright deciduous berries that are about the same size/look as the berries produced by Solanum dulcamara, aka Bittersweet.. More like an egg than a tube or cone.
20210807_193710.jpg

I've been in my head trying to imagine what could have caused the cross you have.. Most of the stuff I can picture growing near it had upright pods. Yours look tasty!

Were yours from the train too.. Or isolated? I've yet to grow either out.
Those were the kind of pods I was expecting
from the Uvalde, but at the time I thought it
was a tepin.

Here's a pic of the harvest. It was the first wild
to set pods, and it had a ton on the plant. Very
prolific. This year's plant came from these seeds.
TxTepinIMG_9588.jpeg

Should be fun comparing our specimens this season,
@CaneDog and @CraftyFox.

I have one question - what is a deciduous berry? I have
only heard that term in reference to foliage.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the harvest. It was the first wild
to set pods, and it had a ton on the plant. Very
prolific. This year's plant came from these seeds.

I have one question - what is a deciduous berry? I have
only heard that term in reference to foliage.
Even yours look hybrid to me, with that kind of tubular shape of other AnnG types. My pods almost always have a distinctly 'chicken egg' shape to them, whereas these look very 'snake egg'.. If that makes sense. It's a very seldom occurrence with these to pop off-pheno pods, that I've noticed, and the flowers are also very consistently 5 pointed, if I recall correct.. With the occasional 4's. All very cool, JTS.. To me anyway. I can get you both some Isolated seed for next year if you want. I plan to isolate them again this year. Also pretty sure I have original seed still too.

Deciduous, in berries, means that the pods come off freely, and easily, from the pedicle when ripe. Raspberries are another example of a deciduous fruit, vs. a Blackberry which is the opposite extreme. By the end of the season, the plant is full of empty pedicles.. At times you can bump this Uvalde and ripe berries will drop(wind too). From what I read, it is a dominant trait that has bred out of cultivated pepper varieties to help prevent produce lost. I can see how it wouldn't be the greatest trait in a large fruiting variety, but for small pods.. 🤗

Yep. It sure is nice with those scores of little pods come off easy versus having to forcibly remove each one.

I'd be down for a few of those isolated seeds when you get them :)

In the meantime, I'll be happy to see what comes of these plants. Could be some interesting stuff.

I'd be down for a few of those isolated seeds when you get them :)
Add me to the list, as well. Thanks, CF, very
generous of you!

Are the original seeds wild-collected? That
would make your iso seeds a direct acession.

Yes, these were from wild AnnG that grow around Uvalde, Texas.. More specifically, these are from the Haygood estate. I love how quickly they lignify!
Thanks for that info, CF!

Agreed, my ‘purple’ plant looks
like a little tree in its 2-liter pot!

Last edited:
The Dwarf Chiltepín has a really weird growth habit.
After I topped it, most all of the branches grew on one
side of the plant. It will take some major trimming for
the OW season. If only a fourth of the flowers set, there
will be a ton of berries on that little plant, in a #2NC con-
tainer.

If you keep posting pictures of such beautiful plants @PaulG i can't help developing a certain interest in wilds that eventually will lead to expansion of my plant numbers in the seasons to come! 😁
Glad to hear you are developing an interest in
growing some wild varieties, @Sulsa. I’ll be happy
to stock your grow with seeds whenever you are
ready. Just say the word!

The “canopy” of the chiltepin dwarf looks quite arboreal, from above. Those small, short leaves really lend themselves to bonsai applications. Maybe, with the lopsided growth, you could coax it into a sort of craggy, windswept appearance.

The “canopy” of the chiltepin dwarf looks quite arboreal, from above. Those small, short leaves really lend themselves to bonsai applications. Maybe, with the lopsided growth, you could coax it into a sort of craggy, windswept appearance.
My plan is to OW it and shape it for more
balanced growth. Then perhaps see about
a bronchi type, probably in an 8” clay bulb
pan.

Some overdue potting up and hardening off happening.

PI 260567 (C.Baccatum var. baccatum) - multiple of these
20220518-Baccatum-var-baccatum-PI260567-p1.jpg

CAP 500 (C.Eximium) - multiple of these
20220518-cap500.jpg

CAP 524 (C.Chacoense) - multiple of these
20220518-cap524.jpg

CAP 1445 (C.Chacoense) - multiple of these
20220518-cap1445-chacoense.jpg

CAP 1530 (C.Eximium) x USDA Cardenasii F3 (not my cross)
20220518-CAP1530Eximium-x-USDACardenasii-F3.jpg

CGN 20497 (C.Cardenasii)
20220518-Cardenasii-CGN20497.jpg

A couple of F2 plants, again not my cross, C.Eximium x C.Cardenasii
20220518-eximium-cardenasii-f2-1.jpg

20220518-eximium-cardenasii-f2-2.jpg

Purple Flowered Baccatum
20220518-purple-flwr-bacc.jpg

C.Rhomboideum - multiple of these
20220518-Rhomboideum-p1.jpg

C.Tovarii - multiple of these
20220518-tovarii-p1.jpg

C.Lanceolatum - multiple of these (eventually!!)
20220518-Lanceolatum-large.jpg

C.Flexuosum - multiple of these, trying this one in a big boy pot for multi-year growing and left outdoors. 50+ litres. May try another direct in the ground. Sorry for the hedge camouflage on this shot :-)
20220518-Flexuosum-p1.jpg

Other things still awaiting potting up and hardening off :-(

Back