• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, the weather has been very nice so far... I suppose that i will deal soon with monster heat and critters 😂
The Guatemalan Chiltepin seeds come from Semillas, it seems a little different from Tolito maybe closer to this one?

Have a great weekend thp fellows!

F
Interesting, Fabrizio. The Chiltepín Guatalamala
I grew was the Tolito/Torolito From @Wiriwiri. It
had a lot of frutescens characteristics, so not
sure it it could be called a Chiltepín or not.

Hello wild people!
Got hooked in wilds, mostly because of Sandy (wiriwiri), but so far not so successful like some of you.
Got an overwintered Lanceolatum, from 2019, also 2 Rhomboideum from 2019. Lance had only some flowers but no one set fruits, and Rhombo had no flowers so far. Now I see Lance have 3 flowers again.
Besides, I have some other wilds, posted below.
Lanceolatum
red1.jpg

Cardenasii
red3.jpg

Tovarii
red4.jpg

Chile del monte (chiltepin)
red5.jpg

Rhomboideum_1
red6.jpg

Eximium
red8.jpg

My house is facing south, my garden is facing south, not easy to find a partial shadow place. Now my question is, any of my peppers should have some shadow, or is ok to be in full sun? Some of them had a bit of sunburn, but now they are hardened and going well. But I think that the Lanceolatum lost already a couple of unopened flowers. They are so tiny and I think they dry and fall. Not sure if full sun is the cause of this.
I have another overwintered wild, dunno anymore what it is, also Wild Lombok (the Frutescens), will post pictures of them.

Last edited:
Five days later, the c. lanceolatum seedling making
progress. This is one teeny little seedling, for sure.
I hope it’s grows as nice as yours, @ChilliCrosser !
03E5D3DF-4479-4E52-938E-1C138D10F498.jpeg

So far have only been using General Hydro’s Rapid Start
(for root development). There is a root poking out the bottom
of the rockwool cube, so in a few days, maybe I’ll start feed-
ing with some dilute AK fish.

Last edited:
Five days later, the c. lanceolatum seedling making
progress. This is one teeny little seedling, for sure.
I hope it’s grows as nice as yours, @ChilliCrosser !
03E5D3DF-4479-4E52-938E-1C138D10F498.jpeg

So fatr have only been using General Hydro’s Rapid Start
(for root development). There is a root poking out the bottom
of the rockwool cube, so in a few days, maybe I’ll start feed-
ing with some dilute AK fish.
I transplanted my extras yesterday into their own cups. Mine have been slow as in coco mix and I've not been feeding them, just started to use a weak nutrient mix to get them going in their new homes. Given how much grief I had germinating them I've not had the heart to cull any, so I have an army of 6 Lanceolatum to work with :)

Great germination results for you, @ChilliCrosser!
I'm still cruising at one out of three :rofl:

The other two are still on the heat mat, so they
may surprise me sometime down the road!

Here some leaves of my overwintered Lanceolatum. What could be the problem? It is setting new leaves, but they go to this stage when they go bigger.

I first put my OW Lanceolatum outside for the day about a month ago, just after it had just started to set pods. It seemed like a pleasant day and it was mostly in dappled sun/shade, but it got a little burn despite that. It reacted by immediately shutting down blooming/production (I have a bumper crop of about 3 berries ripening now). It also started to burn off its bigger leaves like yours and some leaves that were getting bigger.

Lance's are pretty aggressive about branching out as they grow, which lead me to assume that when it perceived an environmental change it started cannibalizing the older growth in favor of new more suitable growth. I've seen this behavior from them on other occasions and, for whatever reason, they've just burned some leaves for a while and come out of it strong with new growth. I probably paid a little more attention to proper watering and adequate nutrients during these times, but it really seemed more like the plant was simply adjusting its growth and wanted to shed a bit than that anything was really wrong or an ongoing concern.

Last edited:
@CaneDog : thanks for your input. I think I should find a place, or create a place, and let it be there for a while, because in the last time I have moved the Lance (is potted) many times, first when it was raining - to avoid overwatering, then back to sun, then again away from rain, then in the shadow to protect from too much sun... However, all the 3 flowers it had before, are gone, I saw one still on branch but dried, the other 2 vanished... So, will probably try to put it somewhere to be in shadow when the sun is in full power, and to protect it from rain, to control watering. Will see...

This Pequin Rojo 'Chihuahua' is well suited to this climate.
Has been out for awhile, and looks healthy and robust in
the shade of a Japanese Maple. Full of pods and flowers.
Sort of hard to see the whole plant against the green Doug
Fir behind it, but you get the idea. Second year plant, has
put up a handful of vertical branches, so should be an awe-
some plant this Summer.
285BF8CE-3A69-4C0F-98E0-D1C7E5CC3B84_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Back