• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Setting up is frustrating. Add in flowers and intermediate stages of development and it exacerbates the stress.

I use a metal strainer,too. Smash with cold running water,then just tap out onto a towel or plate.
Sure does. The worst one I’ve done was the species flower group photo in 2022, race against shrivelling flowers.

I always stay safe-ish,amigo. The Solanaceae count on Quintaroo is weak so I had to move around a bit. It was a snorkeling trip but difficult the plants I like in the water. Hope all is well in the PNW.
That's a good thing, bro! I hope you enjoyed the trip!
Things here are progressing slowly.

Nice pix with the coins. You gave GW a black eye 🤣

I am always amazed by the number of seeds the various
small wild berries contain.

Last edited:
Potential F1 for one of my domesticated C.baccatum hybrids x C.tovarii. As it’s not 100% wild I’ll continue commentary for it in my main crossing post. Only mentioning here in case of interest. 17 days to emerge.
IMG_9795.jpeg

My potential C.lanceolatum x C.rhomboideum plants suffered a near death experience when I wasn’t available to look after them for a period. They are starting to come back but still no rhomboideum traits spotted. Still likely an accidental self until I can see something that indicates otherwise.

I offered some data to Carolina Carizzo Garcia from the hybrid I made back in ‘20 during the study but they weren’t interested. :think:Interestingly enough,one of the phenos ripened burgandy while the others went red.

The work you and others are doing with the interspecific crosses I think is a huge benefit to them and citizen science in general. Maybe if more people offer help they might accept. There seems to be very little interest in Capsicum in academia other than the typical rinse and repeat studies.

Attachments

• E9BB0E2F-F6DD-48DE-8F6C-AD4329D16821.jpeg
    E9BB0E2F-F6DD-48DE-8F6C-AD4329D16821.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 24
I offered some data to Carolina Carizzo Garcia from the hybrid I made back in ‘20 during the study but they weren’t interested. :think:Interestingly enough,one of the phenos ripened burgandy while the others went red.

The work you and others are doing with the interspecific crosses I think is a huge benefit to them and citizen science in general. Maybe if more people offer help they might accept. There seems to be very little interest in Capsicum in academia other than the typical rinse and repeat studies.
That’s a good look on that hybrid you made!

I’m just doing them for my own interest and understanding but would love for the information to be useful. That’s why I at least try and capture relevant photos and backstories. If my possible baccatum x tovarii works out then, along with my rabenii x tovarii, I’d like to write something up. There were zero photos of those two hybrids in the 1990’s paper about them.

I was glad to see that a stand at a recent science fair in the UK, which was from the Sainsbury Lab, actually used my Capsicum flowers group shot to help explain things 🙂

That’s a good look on that hybrid you made!

I’m just doing them for my own interest and understanding but would love for the information to be useful. That’s why I at least try and capture relevant photos and backstories. If my possible baccatum x tovarii works out then, along with my rabenii x tovarii, I’d like to write something up. There were zero photos of those two hybrids in the 1990’s paper about them.

I was glad to see that a stand at a recent science fair in the UK, which was from the Sainsbury Lab, actually used my Capsicum flowers group shot to help explain things 🙂
Good stuff. They have been receptive of some stuff but for some reason not other things that I feel would greatly help them with low funding—and specifically the Andean Clade. there is definitely some stuff that needs addressed there in terms of C.geminifolium. Things that the monograph has only exacerbated.

Found a couple more photos of the above plant on my phone. Not a true wild but wild enough.

Attachments

• 88935741-37A7-4F20-AFC5-8D34528C5BB2.jpeg
    88935741-37A7-4F20-AFC5-8D34528C5BB2.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 19
  • 39067966-1697-4D47-8D5C-5382696BABED.jpeg
    39067966-1697-4D47-8D5C-5382696BABED.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1F1F1DA3-E9BA-40FC-B798-C4310EFEFC53.jpeg
    1F1F1DA3-E9BA-40FC-B798-C4310EFEFC53.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 20
  • EF2FD599-0D59-4127-A1CC-918560793CFE.jpeg
    EF2FD599-0D59-4127-A1CC-918560793CFE.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19
It appears to be a wintered plant, do you notice a smell inside with older plants? I have never grown one longer than the typical 7 months here.
Correct, it’s a small plant indoors grown from a cutting. The main plant outside is in a dead or alive state in my glasshouse.

Definitely always get that distinctive smell. They are still one of my favourite species. Amazingly I haven’t tried crossing with one yet!

Back