• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Have you ever grown this one before?
Yes, once before and the plant really struggled. I nursed it long enough to get a few ripe berries. I’ve been meaning to give it another try for a while.

I have the cotton wool, bubble wrap and a 20 foot exclusion zone ready in anticipation!

Any other tips?

Last edited:
Some casual pics from the other evening. Both of my older C.tovarii plants getting into flower mode even with cold nights still. Neither has yet been moved back into larger bags and are still tolerating old media, to do list way too long right now!
IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2669.jpeg

Last years F1 for C.rabenii x C.tovarii in the same boat but seems happy with my neglect.
IMG_2646.jpeg

IMG_2650.jpeg

Old C.rhomboideum has been repotted since winter and is getting back to it.
IMG_2640.jpeg

Things slowly getting going on the outdoor plants.

Recovering C.lanceolatum from last year now flowering.
IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3105.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

Single stemmed C.rhomboideum has decided this is the year to branch out at the bottom.
IMG_3086.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

C.tovarii plants now covered in flowers
IMG_2959.jpeg

IMG_2954.jpeg

IMG_2962.jpeg

Old F1 for C.rabenii x C.tovarii back and flowering outside. I’ll keep stacking F2 seeds from this as germination has been a pain.
IMG_2906.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpeg

IMG_2896.jpeg

How’s it going for everyone else?

Slow here too but the aphids are enjoying it.
IMG_3415.jpeg

Tovarii still the thing growing best for me with our poor season. Well, also one of the original F1s for Rabenii x Tovarii is looking good again after having its head chopped off for the winter:
IMG_3302.jpeg

IMG_3299.jpeg

IMG_3303.jpeg

IMG_3304.jpeg

IMG_3307.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3313.jpeg

Various Flexuosum variants doing ok too
IMG_3271.jpeg

IMG_3275.jpeg

Finally, managed to awaken this potential F1 which had stalled. Looks leggy but it’s been in a glasshouse for the last month, so light not a big issue. Fingers crossed the wild genes are driving that type of growth. I’m pretty confident at the moment. Attempted domesticated C.baccatum hybrid with C.tovarii father. Only one that germinated 😬. Marks on the foliage are temporary from a recent foliar treatment.
IMG_3256.jpeg

IMG_3258.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg

I may just get another shot at extracting a variegated C.flexuosum line. Last year I had a section of a plant that didn’t last until berries but did give me pollen which I used to make some F1s which are growing right now.

Checked the same original plant today and it’s had another section break out with variegated foliage and variegated pedicel and calyx. It’s up in the new season growth canopy, so I also stand a chance of it growing enough to allow cuttings with luck.

The rest of the plant is green and healthy, in it’s third season iirc. One that stays outdoors year round.
IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_3975.jpeg

IMG_3972.jpeg

I may just get another shot at extracting a variegated C.flexuosum line. Last year I had a section of a plant that didn’t last until berries but did give me pollen which I used to make some F1s which are growing right now.

Checked the same original plant today and it’s had another section break out with variegated foliage and variegated pedicel and calyx. It’s up in the new season growth canopy, so I also stand a chance of it growing enough to allow cuttings with luck.

The rest of the plant is green and healthy, in it’s third season iirc. One that stays outdoors year round.
Starting to get some berries set on the variegated pedicels and some more white nodes breaking out.
IMG_4560.jpeg

IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4689.jpeg
IMG_4688.jpeg

IMG_4685.jpeg

Permission to post a half-wild in here as likely where the interested audience may be? I’m sure I heard you say yes 🤣

Open today, final confirmation I needed to say this F1 worked. One of my colourful domesticated C.baccatum hybrids as mother crossed with C.tovarii.
IMG_4720.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4787.jpeg

Back