• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
All of the true wild species of S.E. Brazil including C.carassense are shade plants. I'm not sure where you researched(phytokeys?),but I'll post a link to some nice photos and description from Claudio dal Zovo aka Lonewolf.

Edit: I see you did read the description from phytokeys. You will enjoy the link I shared.

Yes, some awesome keys and information on the phytokeys! I still haven't come across the other Capsicum keys, but I'm working on it. Those pictures were a much better representation of the species.. Shame about the state of the habitat. Thanks for sharing that link!

All of the true wild species of S.E. Brazil including C.carassense are shade plants. I'm not sure where you researched(phytokeys?),but I'll post a link to some nice photos and description from Claudio dal Zovo aka Lonewolf.
I have seen that this season, John. The preatermissums
loved the super hot weather and dappled shade. They set
pods all summer, and haven't stopped yet.

Just wondering because I've got a couple like that as well.. Leaning towards Pepper weevil, but I haven't caught one yet. I agree it could be something else too, hard year to call things for me.

@CraftyFox I have no idea. Possibly physiological or a random insect. I am just smashing them up for seed stock,haven't looked that closely
Just wondering because I've got a couple like that as well.. Leaning towards Pepper weevil, but I haven't caught one yet. I agree it could be something else too, hard year to call things for me.

I can understand your concern. I've never had issues with that specific bug,just the typical baddies.

Dedicated this year to refreshing my stock of wild seeds. Here is an easy method for separating flesh and pulp from seed. This is more geared towards C.flexuosum and rhomboideum,which get very gummy when drying,but works on all others. The chacoense pods pictured below are easy to air dry and crumble,but sometimes they can get funky and seeds discolor. This gets them nice and clean. Run water over the berries while smooshing them in a fine strainer. Then just tap out onto a plate after and let dry 2-3 weeks before bagging.

51423393955_fe7223f60b_b.jpg

51422406366_54bb0d927a_b.jpg

51422666658_c549c8210e_b.jpg

51422406106_83e763fc9a_b.jpg

51421660422_febf806d09_b.jpg

51422666758_39cbb98bb9_b.jpg

Nice pic of the purple c. chacoense, John!

And a great tip for seed drying, I will definitely
give that a shot.

Last edited:
The strainer idea is a good one John,wished I'd thought of that would have saved me hours of work of to many years lol.
The photos are stunning most of mine are lost to Imgur and poor care of my photos but there are some left here,lovely to see a wilds thread where all can share and wise of Paul to start one.👍

I love strainers for stone seeds.. I still run them thru a wet towel to finish them, but the grating action gets almost all of the pulp off them. How do you all check/maintain the moisture level with your dried seeds? I'm to the point now where I'm getting kicked out of the kitchen fridge, so time to look into something more practical, for the basement.

The strainer idea is a good one John,wished I'd thought of that would have saved me hours of work of to many years lol.
The photos are stunning most of mine are lost to Imgur and poor care of my photos but there are some left here,lovely to see a wilds thread where all can share and wise of Paul to start one.👍
I am just happy that some folk find the thread useful.

I am a beneficiary of the great info posted here by
other members, too, so I feel like it’s a win-win :party:

I love strainers for stone seeds.. I still run them thru a wet towel to finish them, but the grating action gets almost all of the pulp off them. How do you all check/maintain the moisture level with your dried seeds? I'm to the point now where I'm getting kicked out of the kitchen fridge, so time to look into something more practical, for the basement.
This is not real scientific, but I put my seeds into a
little resealable plastic bag with a 1-gram silica gel
packet, and store them in cigar boxes in the garage.
Seems to work okay here in the 8a/b PNW. Have been
able to germinate some stubborn six-to-seven year
old seeds.

Last edited:
Great images on this page! That PF Chac bush is a beast and I'm a big fan of lanceolatum and its many cool characteristics.

How do you all check/maintain the moisture level with your dried seeds?

I store them in a pelican case and often keep a reusable desiccant similar to these inside to compensate for periodic opening and closing.

Last edited:
Wow! The flibu looks like it has frost on it, @PaulG .It's the fuzziest praetermissum I have grown to date. To address post #336... I find it useful,it's helped me get more active again. I've shared photos of these plants a million times,so It's nice to see new faces taking interest.

I'm not the one to give any seed saving advice because my method is irresponsible. When very few of us were growing these I put more emphasis on generating and saving seed but there are so many out there now I don't see the sense. I haven't saved seeds in probably 5 years.This year I am going to do it properly and store them in the fridge so they keep for awhile. I'm going to take a break and focus on the 2500 or so Solanum species out there. :shocked:

C.lanceolatum
51428255083_713ab913cf_c.jpg

51428014651_e052df1288_c.jpg

51427262147_482ab5d6f7_c.jpg

Back