• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Given this year has been the worst outdoor grow season for me ever & the few wilds I started either didn't germ or succumbed to the elements early on I've gone ahead and tried to start a few. Also gives me more time to re-attempt should I get the inevitable failures.

I'd rather manage plant size and give them a good head start than end up with another season with no wilds :cry: I have a bit more winter grow space at least this year. Is it just me or does grow space always seem much bigger when filled with imaginary plants? :)

Went through my seeds and started germination last week for these:
  • C.Flexuosum
  • C.Praetermissium (seeds from a previous grow, need to identify which one!)
  • C.Lanceolatum
  • C.Galapagoense
  • C.Cardenasii (CGN 20497)
  • C.Tovarii
I have a few others for next year as well but will need to start those nearer the time as even in my optimistic imagination I can't fit them all in the space I have.

And the winner is 🥁🥁🥁

C.Praetermissum of unknown accession. First to appear after 53 days. Seeds from one of my previous grows.
20211115-cpraetermissum.jpg

@ Paul:
I have Cap Tepin that came true, from what I can tell.. Indoor grown and isolated. I got one pod off it before the mites lit it up, but you are definitely welcome to seed.. If you don't have that one from the train. I might have more later this winter if it bounces back.. The other one I have is too busy being chopped to produce anything yet, but I hope to have more later this winter. They are the two tall, upright ones in the sawed-off quarts.. I have a heck of time keeping them out of the lights. Really upright habit on both of them, unlike that Uvalde Wild I have. Pod was a little brown ball, just like the one I got the seed from.
20211015_184935.jpg
20211010_144836.jpg

Anyone around here have: CP 203 Wild Baccatum Baccatum, or a similar long podded deciduous version or CP 291 Wild Brazil Orange

I'm also looking for a couple other non-wilds from Mr. Phillips collection, if someone has a vast collection of his offerings.. I really want these two and have spent a lot of time NOT finding them online.. Ed doesn't count as a source, because his TOS is unacceptable.
Not looking for a hand out, just unregulated seeds.

@CraftyFox I have some ripe wild brazil orange on plant now, but they're OP. I have a couple nice healthy green pods bagged that I expect to ripen shortly, though, and would be happy to send ISO seeds your way if/when they come through. Pods are deciduous and not very long, but chunky.
What!! I didn't even note they were deciduous! Sweet! How do feel about them? I'll have to find them in your GLOG. They sound like an awesome candidate for Bonchi. Thanks.. I'll hit you up in the DM.

Volunteer annuum v Glabriusculum, probably Pequin Rojo Chihuahua.
Several true leaves, and already wanting to put out laterals.
3D92C873-CA30-4B8B-A2A2-779FA324F183.jpeg

Evidence of birds(?) snacking on a Chiltepín Rojo CPI.
D438E632-C583-437D-832F-B480578C1FF9.jpeg

@ Paul:
I have Cap Tepin that came true, from what I can tell.. Indoor grown and isolated. I got one pod off it before the mites lit it up, but you are definitely welcome to seed.. If you don't have that one from the train. I might have more later this winter if it bounces back.. The other one I have is too busy being chopped to produce anything yet, but I hope to have more later this winter. They are the two tall, upright ones in the sawed-off quarts.. I have a heck of time keeping them out of the lights. Really upright habit on both of them, unlike that Uvalde Wild I have. Pod was a little brown ball, just like the one I got the seed from.
That little brown pod looks just like my Capucinno Chiltepin (Semillas la Palma).
It's growth habit is more like the Uvalde Wild you mention; in a #10 container,
the bush got to about 2'6" tall and 2' wide.

If I remember correctly, you said the Uvalde (that I got off the 2019 seed train)
was a Pequin variety, correct?

What do I do with them now? Pickle, ferment, dry? What are your favourite uses for wilds?
I think they would make great spicy jelly/jam when fresh. I usually
just dry and store for later powdering, or just crumble a few dry
ones as needed. I think one could use them in salsas and ferments,
as well.

That little brown pod looks just like my Capucinno Chiltepin (Semillas la Palma).
It's growth habit is more like the Uvalde Wild you mention; in a #10 container,
the bush got to about 2'6" tall and 2' wide.

If I remember correctly, you said the Uvalde (that I got off the 2019 seed train)
was a Pequin variety, correct?
That's what it was given to me as.. I can't say I fully understand them. I'm just calling it a wild Ann v. glab. for now.. 'Officially'. Haha.
I was starting to build this idea in my mind that a 'Piquin' was a cone shaped one, and a 'Pequin' was the egg shaped one, like the Uvalde.. Then I talked to Danny and that whole idea just fell apart, like I forgot the binder.

62 days in and the second of my C.Praetermissum seeds has popped up. I only put two of these in, I knew my own harvested seeds were good sometimes :party:
20211124-cpraetermissum-own-p2.jpg

The earlier one is looking good, if a little more leggy than I'd like but that'll get fixed. First true leaves appearing. Trying these in coco, perlite, vermiculite mix in double-cup for starters.
20211124-cpraetermissum-own-p1.jpg

No signs of the rest of the wild crowd as yet.

62 days in and the second of my C.Praetermissum seeds has popped up. I only put two of these in, I knew my own harvested seeds were good sometimes :party:
20211124-cpraetermissum-own-p2.jpg

The earlier one is looking good, if a little more leggy than I'd like but that'll get fixed. First true leaves appearing. Trying these in coco, perlite, vermiculite mix in double-cup for starters.
20211124-cpraetermissum-own-p1.jpg

No signs of the rest of the wild crowd as yet.

Nice work. There is no rhyme or reason to some of these wilds when germinating. Flood them with light and that leggy plant will correct itself. One foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator.

Nice work. There is no rhyme or reason to some of these wilds when germinating. Flood them with light and that leggy plant will correct itself. One foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator.
Thanks @Pr0digal_son Always good to get the first ones up and running. I'm moving some indoor things around so the leggy one was under an LED light used for something else but didn't want to put it too close early on, as you say it's an easy fix. Should be in it's new home at the weekend.

Now fingers crossed for the Tovarii amongst others. Still deciding on a few others for next year, normal problem of too much choice.

Any views on CAP 500 in comparison to CGN 19198 out of interest?

Back