• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
I'm guessing they just gave it that listing and had nothing to do with cultivation. Chile taxonomy is silly. These could be what was previously listed as C.ciliatum.

Per G.E.Barboza: "Both, the colour of the fruits and the shape of the leaves are variations frequently found in C. rhomboideum. We had a plant in cultivation (Córdoba), and we obtained fruits with a similar colour to the population from La Jagua or even darker."

I did find plants 10 minutes north of the type locality that had the darker berries she mentions.They appeared to be black.
Most interesting, John. Nothing like being
able to see them in their native habitat.

Chiltepin Hermosillo Dwarf is beginning to show some personality. To my eyes, and compared to other annuums I’m growing, the dwarf habit is already distinct:
Looks like you will have some nice specimens
to go forward with.

Hoping for a set pod on this go around with my C.lanceolatum. Awesome looking plants Paul
Thanks, James, just trying to hang on til plant-out.
In 3 months. :eh:

Good job getting a c. lanceolatum to grow and
flower. I am 0 for 3 on my lanceolatum attempts.
Keep us posted!

:cheers:

Thanks, James, just trying to hang on til plant-out.
In 3 months. :eh:

Good job getting a c. lanceolatum to grow and
flower. I am 0 for 3 on my lanceolatum attempts.
Keep us posted!

:cheers:
Paul, it hasn't been easy nor fun growing this particular variety. Took me several attempts and years to get a hook going and not dying off. My arch nemesis is the C. Flexuosum right now, tried many of times last season to get one seed germinated and did get one to hook and it didn't take off. Got some fresh seeds in from Chris Fowler and going to give em another try.

Paul, it hasn't been easy nor fun growing this particular variety. Took me several attempts and years to get a hook going and not dying off. My arch nemesis is the C. Flexuosum right now, tried many of times last season to get one seed germinated and did get one to hook and it didn't take off. Got some fresh seeds in from Chris Fowler and going to give em another try.
I'd take even a hook on my C.lanceolatum this year! Probably had 4-6 develop a radicle and then do nothing regardless of media and different environmentals. I'm sticking at it though :banghead:

Last edited:
I'd take even a hook on my C.lanceolatum this year! Probably had 4-6 develop a radicle and then do nothing regardless of media and different environmentals. I'm sticking at it though :banghead:
That was how it went for me last season with C. Flexuosum. Patience is a must with these varieties, had one C. Flexuosum give me a radicle and did nothing after that and died off. 😔 Will be tossing a few more in and giving it another try.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to see
radicles extend, and then... nothing. I'll
look for some more seeds and try again
at some point. At least the fiexuosum did
well for me this time around.

@Portuge - Thanks James, That plant really
needs some great weather and a larger pot.
Hoping for a good OW specimen from this
one for sure. It's going through an accelera-
tion of growth now.

Wild Cumari Annuum, Like C. Annuum?
That's right, James, a c. annuum variety. The seed
came from @leo72, According to him, the plant was
found on a coffee plantation in Brazil, and surmised
it was a bird-sown seed and usually found in northern
South America. I think it is very similar to a Goat's-
Weed from Venezuela, except small berries instead
of long, pointy 2" pods.​

Last edited:
It's taken way too many seeds to get this far, I think my first C.Lanceolatum seeds went in last September and I have done batches since then. At last one that has made it past the radicle stage and popped up!

I sourced seeds from elsewhere, dropped two in and got this in 17 days. I hate being beaten by seeds :lol:
20220407-Lanceolatum-17days.jpg

Back