• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Good luck with the flexuosum. I had good germination,
but they took so long to ripen I didn’t get many berries.
Paul,I think you can probably grow those outside in your zone for just about the whole year. I am in 5a and have taken my in 2 or 3 times overnight when it went into teens. If you keep the container from freezing solid for prolonged periods of time it will be fine. Even a few times freezing will not kill it,won't even drop leaves probably. I bet in your greenhouse it will live without heat 365 days a year.

I had a few plants of different species freeze solid for 6-8 hours without dying. Even one that I think might be more cold tolerant than C.flexuosum. This isn't something I have ever had interest in but having a few accidents lately has opened my eyes.

Paul,I think you can probably grow those outside in your zone for just about the whole year. I am in 5a and have taken my in 2 or 3 times overnight when it went into teens. If you keep the container from freezing solid for prolonged periods of time it will be fine. Even a few times freezing will not kill it,won't even drop leaves probably. I bet in your greenhouse it will live without heat 365 days a year.

I had a few plants of different species freeze solid for 6-8 hours without dying. Even one that I think might be more cold tolerant than C.flexuosum. This isn't something I have ever had interest in but having a few accidents lately has opened my eyes.
Thanks, @Pr0digal_son. I will try again next season!

Not sure what’s prompted it but despite the cold snap this little Florida wild bird has decided to grow full speed ahead and he started pushing flowers in January!

Attachments

• 1E7DF582-CEE0-4DCC-AB2C-967DFB00AA7A.jpeg
    1E7DF582-CEE0-4DCC-AB2C-967DFB00AA7A.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Not sure what’s prompted it but despite the cold snap this little Florida wild bird has decided to grow full speed ahead and he started pushing flowers in January!
Awesome, DB! Glad you are having success with the
wild variety. I have found some of the wilds are very
hardy, indeed.

Trying my overwintered wilds in a small unheated glasshouse this year. Cheating slightly because I put them all into small grow bags, for good surface contact, and sitting on aluminium wrapped, bottom insulated, heating pads. Soil temp thermostat set to 10C.

We’ve had quite a few nights of -5C, air temperature inside the glasshouse has gone down to at least 0C a few times possibly lower during the night. Iced up glass nicely.

The plants don’t look terrible but many have no foliage. Let’s see if keeping the root ball warm works well enough, way cheaper than fan heaters! I suspect most of them will be fine.

Good luck with those, CC. Keep up the good work!

Flexuosum Farm - used various mother plants and various pollen batches from my variegated flex section last year. Game plan, get lots of F2 seeds from these and then mass sow to hunt for variegation.

Some idiot left these in their tiny 5cm starter pots for a month or so with no feeding. Should green up now that they have found time to move them on. Even used some @CaneDog lucky blue cups this time :-)

IMG_8990.jpeg

@ahayastani ever gotten into the Sierra Madre? I am in Akumal and considering a drive over to see what I can get into.

Well, yes... the Sierra Madre de Chiapas is very beautiful, and so are the Central Highlands. As a matter of fact, the only part of Chiapas you can skip is the Pacific Coast, unless you are a fan of turtles and mangroves. But... today are turbulent times here in Chiapas, especially in the more remote and mountainous areas near the border with Guatemala.

Also, last week travel agencies from San Cristobal announced that they won't take tourist to Yaxchilan (IMO most beautiful site in Mexico) and Bonampak anymore because the area has been taken over by gangs. Apparently, INHA personal is not active anymore at Yaxchilan either. There is a very beautiful site in Toniná as well, but also closed (not because of violence though). At this time, I would advise against travelling to the mountains here in Chiapas if you are not familiar with the area. Tabasco also has problematic areas... And if you still decide to go, inform yourself, and CERTAINLY DO NOT GET OFF THE BEATEN TRACK there. If you accidentally run into human traffickers, it's bye-bye Pr0digal_son.

Don't tell me you can't find good food in Yucatan though :)

Last edited:
Back