favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Will do guys I'm going to be getting a heat mat this week (hopefully tonight) them germing begins along with a ton other wilds and then later will be doing some cuttings of capsicum rhomboideum

Got a cool little shot of the ripening stages of one of my eximium.

10986371155_d87d59c7f4_b.jpg

List of the recognized Capsicum taxa with their growth form, corolla shape and color, fruit shape and color, seed color, chromosone number and geographic distribution. Seeds of all species are reniform except in C.pubescense, where they are irregular

Species and variety

Growth form

Corolla shape and color

Fruit shape and color

Seed color

2n

Geographic distribution

C.annuum L var. annuum

Herb or subshrub (1-2 m)

Stellate , white or cream (exceptionally violet)

Highly variable shape, violet, red, orange, yellow or green

Yellowish

Cultivated worldwide

var. glabriusculum (Dunal) Heiser & Pickersgill [syn. = var. minimum (Mill.) Heiser]

Herb or subshrub (1-2 m)

Stellate , white or cream

Ovoid or spherical, red

Yellowish

S USA, Mexico, Antilles, Belize, Honduras, El salvador, Panama, Costa rica, Gautamala, Ecuador, Peru, N and NE Brazil

C. baccatum L var. baccatum

Shrub (0,6-3,5 m)

Stellate , white with greenish spots in the throat

Ovoid or elliptic, red

Yellowish

Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, S and SE Brazil, N Argentina

var. pendulum (Willd.) Eshbaugh

Shrub (0,6-3,5 m)

Elliptic or fusiform, red or yellow

Yellowish

Cultivated in USA, Mexico, Costa rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chili, Argentina, India

var. umbilicatum (Vellozo) Hunz. & Barboza

Herb or subshrub (1,6-2 m)

Umbonate umbilicate, red

Yellowish

Cultivated in USA, Mexico, Jamaica, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina

C. caballeroi M.Nee

Herb, shrub or tree (1-7 m)

Campanulate; lemon yellow

Spherical; red

Yellowish

?

Bolivia; COCH,SC (endemic)

C. campylopodium Sendtn.

Shrub (0,7-1,1m)

Stellate; white with golden spots in the throat

Spherical compressed; yellowish green

Blackish

Brazil; FS, MG, RJ (endemic)

C. cardenasii Heiser & Smith

Shrub (1m)

Campanulate; violet lobulus with azure throat

Spherical; red

Brownish

Bolivia; LP (endemic)

C. ceratocalyx M.Nee

Shrub (1,5m)

Rotate; yellow with green spots in the throat

Spherical; red

?

?

Bolivia; LP (endemic)

C. chacoense Hunz.

Shrub (0,4-0,8m)

Stellate; white

Ovoid or elliptic; red

Yellowish

S Bolivia, Paraguay, N and C Argentina

C. chinense

Herb or shrub (0,5-2m)

Stellate; white or cream

Spherical or conical; red, orange, yellow or white

Yellowish

Cultivated in USA, Mexico, Central America, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, China, Japan

C. coccineum (Rusby) Hunz.

Herb or climbing subshrub (1,5-3m)

Stellate; yellowish white with purplish spots in the throat

Spherical; orange or red

Brownish

?

Peru, Bolivia

C. cornutum (Hiern.) Hunz.

Shrub (1,2-1,8m)

Rotate; white with violet or brownish spots in the throat, green in the tube

Spherical depressed; yellowish green

Blackish

Brazil; RJ, SP (endemic)

C.dimorphum (Miers) Kuntze

Shrub (1,5-2m)

Stellate; yellow, sometimes with violet spots in the throat

Spherical; orange or red

Brownish

?

Colombia, Ecuador

C.eximium Hunz.

Herb shrub or tree (0,6-4m)

Stellate; white with violet lobulus, greenish in the tube

Spherical; red

Brownish

S Bolivia, N argentina

C.flexuosum Sendtn

Shrub (0,5-2m)

Stellate; white with greenish spots in the throat

Spherical depressed; red

Blackish

Paraguay, S and SE Brazil, NE Argentina

C. friburgense Bianchetti & Barboza

Shrub (0,8-2,5m)

Campanulate urceolate; pink or lilac

Spherical depressed; yellowish green

Blackish

Brazil; MG, RJ (endemic)

C.frutescense L.

Herb or shrub (1-2m)

Stellate; white or cream

Elongate; red

Yellowish

Cultivated in USA, Mexico, Central and South America, Africa, India, China, Japan

C. galapagoense Hunz.

Shrub (1-4m)

Stellate; white

Spherical; red

Yellowish

Ecuador, Galapagos Island (endemic

C. geminifolium (Dammer) Hunz.

Shrub (0,7-4m)

Rotate; white or yellowish with violet spots in the throat

Spherical; red

Brownish

?

Colombia, Ecuador, Peru

C. hookerianum (Miers) Kuntze

Shrub (1-3m)

Stellate; Ochre

Spherical; color unknown

Brownish

?

S Ecuador, N Peru, (endemic)

C. hunzikerianum Barboza & Bianchetti

Shrub (1-3m)

Stellate; white with purple spots in the lobulus and throat yellowish in the tube

Spherical; yellowish green

Blackish

?

Brazil; SP (endemic)

C. lanceolatum (Greenm.) Morton & Standley

Herb or shrub (1-5m)

Stellate campanulate; white or yellowish

Spherical; pale orange or red

Brownish

Mexico, Guatamala

C.mirabile Mart. (syn. = C.buforum Hunz)

Herb or shrub (0,5-3m)

Stellate; white with purple spots in the lobulus, greenish in the throat and tube

Blackish

Brazil; MG, RJ, SP, (endemic)

C. parvifolium Sendtn

Shrub or tree (1,5-5m)

Rotate; white with purple spots in the lobulus, geenish in the throat and tube

Spherical; orange or red

Brownish

Colombia, Venezuela, NE Brazil

C.pereirae Barboza & Bianchetti

Shrub (0,5-3m)

Stellate; white with purple spots in the lobulus, yellowish in the throat and tube

Blackish

Brazil: ES, MG, SP (endemic)

C. praetermissum Heiser & Smith [syn. = C. baccatum var. Praetermissum (Heiser & Smith) Hunz.]

Herb or shrub (0,8-1,8m)

Rotate; white with purple lobule margins and greenish spots in the throat

Spherical or elliptic; orange red

Yellowish

Central ans SE Brazil, Paraguay

C.pubescense Ruiz & Pav.

Shrub (0,8-2m)

Rotate; purple or violet in the lobulus, white or yellowish in the tube

Turban-shaped, spherical or elongate; red, orange or yellow

Blackish

Cultivated in Mexico, Central and South America

C.recuvatum Witas

Herb or shrub (0,5-3m)

Stellate; white with greenish spots in the throat

Blackish

Brazil: RJ, SP, PN, SCA (endemic)

C.rhomboideum (Dunal) Kuntze [syn. = C.ciliatum(Kunth) Kuntze]

Shrub or small tree (0,8-4m)

Rotate; yellow

Spherical; red

Blackish

Mexico, Guatamala, Honduras, Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru

C.schottianum Sendtn

Shrub (1,2-3m)

Stellate; White with violet or brownish spots in the throat, greenish in the tube

Blackish

Brazil: MG, RJ, SP (endemic)

C.scolnikianum Hunz.

Shrub ca. 1,5m

Campanulate; yellowish white

Spherical depressed; red

Brownish

?

Ecuador: EO, Peru: PI (Endemic)

C. tovarii Eshbaugh, Smith & Nickrent

Shrub (1m)

Stellate; variable color (purple or cream, cream with greenish spots in the lobules)

Spherical; red

Brownish

Peru: AY, HU, JUN (endemic)

C.villosum Sendtn

Subschrub or shrub (1-3m)

Stellate; White with violet or brownish spots in the throat, greenish in the tube

Blackish

Brazil: MG, RJ, SP (endemic)

Very cool list and descriptions

So, a buddy of mine from Italy told me some time ago that he was going to send me some wild varieties he had but didn't say what was going to send. 3 days ago there was this envelope with seeds in my mailbox - some cool superhots and ornamentals, some tepins, couple of praetermissimum seed and a couple of flexuosum and galapagoense seeds, all lookin viable. I realy wasn't prepared for this beacuse seems to me that this 2 are very tricky from what I heard. I'm already gathering data on the web about how to grow them but I would like some tips and personal experiences with them. So please help!

Just wanna know if this two are growable in the mediterranian climate? I already know that the flexuosm isn't self-fertile, are there other problems?

Yes, growable in a Mediterranean climate. Our climate here in San Diego is classed as Mediterranean and I have a galapagoense plant that flowered this year, but didn`t fruit. It`s actually still outside, but dropped a few leaves in the last week. I`ll bring it in and overwinter, then try again next year. I have not grown flexuosum yet, but Pr0digal_son has in Pittsburgh. I`m sure others have in various parts of the USA, as well. 

Portuge said:
11-8-2013
C. Galapagoense update

IMAG0833_zps0ed35146.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:

Nigel said:
Yes, growable in a Mediterranean climate. Our climate here in San Diego is classed as Mediterranean and I have a galapagoense plant that flowered this year, but didn`t fruit. It`s actually still outside, but dropped a few leaves in the last week. I`ll bring it in and overwinter, then try again next year. I have not grown flexuosum yet, but Pr0digal_son has in Pittsburgh. I`m sure others have in various parts of the USA, as well. 

I wonder if there are stronger and weaker galapagoenses around or if they are more or less genetically uniform and it's just the growing conditions?  Mine did really well this past season and the seedlings Portuge are growing are from that strong plant I grew.  Pr0digal also seems to have had a very strong plant this past season.  If Portuge's plants turn out just as strong as the parent, maybe you should give seeds from those a go to see if they perform any better for you.

mememe said:
Just wanna know if this two are growable in the mediterranian climate? I already know that the flexuosm isn't self-fertile, are there other problems?
This has been floating around for awhile. Nothing in the literature I have read describes C.flexuosum as self-sterile. I have seen a few individuals state this on a couple different forums though. Are we saying that they will not self seed or that the seed will not be viable?

I grew one plant this season and it produced fruit that had seed in them,if they are viable or not I will know soon. My plant was not producing very much pollen early on,later in the season the anthers were full and the fruit started setting. I would suggest growing more than one plant,I hope to have my overwintered plant and 5 others for the '14 season.

I think you would see way more outcrossing if this was true. Wild capsicum just don't seem to mingle well. C.flexuosum is supposed to be a transition species. It only has 24 chromosomes while all other black seeded SE Brazilian species have 26. Maybe at some point in time they were self-incompatible and this helped the spread to other parts of SA and other species? Baccatums? Way more interesting to think about than another chinense hybrid breaking records!

Spicegeist said:
I wonder if there are stronger and weaker galapagoenses around or if they are more or less genetically uniform and it's just the growing conditions?  Mine did really well this past season and the seedlings Portuge are growing are from that strong plant I grew.  Pr0digal also seems to have had a very strong plant this past season.  If Portuge's plants turn out just as strong as the parent, maybe you should give seeds from those a go to see if they perform any better for you.
All summer I have been wondering about this tovarii plant. The seed was the smallest chile seed I have ever seen,smaller than lanceolatum,honestly looked like a piece that chipped off. I didn't think it would even sprout. Turned out to be an amazing plant,never dropped a bud,not even a pinhole in a leaf or a spot on one. I showed pictures of the nodes to a European friend of mine who has some 4 year old plants and has been growing tovarii since 05 or 06,he said he'd never seen one fruit so much.

Why?

Pr0digal_son said:
All summer I have been wondering about this tovarii plant. The seed was the smallest chile seed I have ever seen,smaller than lanceolatum,honestly looked like a piece that chipped off. I didn't think it would even sprout. Turned out to be an amazing plant,never dropped a bud,not even a pinhole in a leaf or a spot on one. I showed pictures of the nodes to a European friend of mine who has some 4 year old plants and has been growing tovarii since 05 or 06,he said he'd never seen one fruit so much.

Why?

It could be the genetics.  If they really aren't domesticated, they may have a lot more variability than we're used to seeing.  Spread the seed of the good producers I say!

Do I have to do something special to get them to sprout or do I do like with other capsicums and just wait a little longer?

mememe said:
Do I have to do something special to get them to sprout or do I do like with other capsicums and just wait a little longer?
I'm a noob in the wild world. I "accidentally" left mine soaking for 14hrs in chamomile tea and I sowed them. I had an Eximium break soil yesterday. Total time was 9 days, I'd say it depends on which species or variety it is. The method you use to germinate can play a role too.

Nightshade and others here can tell you more. I just did plain soil.

-Walt

mememe said:
Seeds germinate with a higher rate when temperatures are between 21-27 °C, but seeds germinate faster when the temperature is between 32-38 °C (NMSU). But it is very important to keep the temperature at a constant level!.

I figure it is about time to share my wilds. I can honestly say, I haven't been this excited about pepper plants in quite some time.

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

These darned Flexuosum are killing me! They have looked like this for about a month now, I am really hoping they hang in there.

Hang in there,the flexuosum will not stay on pace with the praetermissum. They are a great looking seedling,and initially they don't budge. You are going to have some sequoias if your praetermissum are that far along already!!!!

Pr0digal_son said:
This has been floating around for awhile. Nothing in the literature I have read describes C.flexuosum as self-sterile. I have seen a few individuals state this on a couple different forums though. Are we saying that they will not self seed or that the seed will not be viable?

I grew one plant this season and it produced fruit that had seed in them,if they are viable or not I will know soon. My plant was not producing very much pollen early on,later in the season the anthers were full and the fruit started setting. I would suggest growing more than one plant,I hope to have my overwintered plant and 5 others for the '14 season.

I`ll try and get the full paper,  but have a look here,

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0367253010001581

Here`s some more fun bedtime reading........

Unilateral Incompatibility in Capsicum(Solanaceae): Occurrence and Taxonomic Distribution

1. A. NACI ONUS1,* and 
  2. BARBARA PICKERSGILL2
+Author Affiliations
  1. 1Department of Horticulture, Faculty of Agriculture, Akdeniz University, 07059 Antalya, Turkey and 2Department of Agricultural Botany, School of Plant Sciences, The University of Reading, Whiteknights, PO Box 221, Reading RG6 6AS, UK
  1. *For correspondence. Fax + 90 242 227 4564, E-mail onus@akdeniz.edu.tr
  • Received January 21, 2004.
  • Accepted April 16, 2004.
  • Revision received March 1, 2004.

Abstract
• Background and aims Unilateral incompatibility (UI) occurs when pollinations between species are successful in one direction but not in the other. Self-incompatible (SI) species frequently show UI with genetically related, self-compatible (SC) species, as pollen of SI species is compatible on the SC pistil, but not vice versa. Many examples of unilateral incompatibility, and all those which have been studied most intensively, are found in the Solanaceae, particularly LycopersiconSolanumNicotianaand Petunia. The genus Capsicum is evolutionarily somewhat distant fromLycopersicon and Solanum and even further removed from Nicotiana andPetunia. Unilateral incompatibility has also been reported in Capsicum; however, this is the first comprehensive study of crosses between all readily available species in the genus.
• Methods All readily available (wild and domesticated) species in the genus are used as plant material, including the three genera from theCapsicum pubescens complex plus eight other species. Pollinations were made on pot-grown plants in a glasshouse. The number of pistils pollinated per cross varied (from five to 40 pistils per plant), depending on the numbers of flowers available. Pistils were collected 24 h after pollination and fixed for 3–24 h. After staining, pistils were mounted in a drop of stain, squashed gently under a cover slip and examined microscopically under ultra-violet light for pollen tube growth.
• Key results Unilateral incompatibility is confirmed in the C. pubescenscomplex. Its direction conforms to that predominant in the Solanaceae and other families, i.e. pistils of self-incompatible species, or self-compatible taxa closely related to self-incompatible species, inhibit pollen tubes of self-compatible species.
• Conclusions Unilateral incompatibility in Capsicum does not seem to have arisen to prevent introgression of self-compatibility into self-incompatible taxa, but as a by-product of divergence of the C. pubescenscomplex from the remainder of the genus.

Back