• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

The last time I checked Peter aka Semillas didnt have any Lances on his site or are you talking about a different Peter? Been looking to get my hands on some fresh lance seeds to sow, guess I will keep looking

Portuge said:
The last time I checked Peter aka Semillas didnt have any Lances on his site or are you talking about a different Peter? Been looking to get my hands on some fresh lance seeds to sow, guess I will keep looking
Yes sir, Peter from semillas. Some don't know this, but if you change language the wilds and who knows what else disappears from the catalog.

Check just as it is in German. Where the species list is it says "wildsorten" and click on that and you should see the list of wilds he has. Quite a few nice ones. When you order just contact him directly and tell him what you need. Hope this helps.

-Walt

Someone told me semillas has quality lance seeds. I might have to try them out if I have any issues. I have been guilty of sowing them too shallow and getting helmet heads,it's hard to bury them when you see their size.

1005034_620262748030330_1045543908_n.jpg

Starting a few wilds... :)

coheed196 said:
Yea I've noticed the English version doesn't have everything as well.

My wilds are starting to go, well....wild.

C. Galapagoense popped this morning
Nice Vincent! Is it really that common to have helmet heads? None of my galaps had helmet head when they came out, and overall only 3/13 had helmet heads. I did plant at about 1/4 in.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Nice Vincent! Is it really that common to have helmet heads? None of my galaps had helmet head when they came out, and overall only 3/13 had helmet heads. I did plant at about 1/4 in.
-Walt
I actually didn't bury it at all. I followed Allen Boatman's techniques and just set the seeds on the surface of the soil and made sure the "bottom" of the seed had complete contact with soil. Sprayed soil with water and into the humidity dome. Once it popped I moved it into a bigger cup and made a tiny hole and set the root into the hole. Covered with saran wrap and back into humidity dome. Spraying with water every day, the humidity will soften the shell and it'll come off.

Just placed an order on Peters site for some C. Eximium and some C. Lances... Let the wait begin, won't be till after the new year these will be sown...

It would be hard to identify without seed color flower shot and a good picture of the calyx and teeth. That being said it does look from this picture that it could be cardenasii.
Where did you find this picture?

I know, it`s asking a lot for an ID. My guess is cardenesii or eximium, with more likelihood of it being eximium, although there are a couple of odd species in Bolivia that are very similar, but have been separated from either eximium or cardenesii. One is Capsicum eshbaughii, the other is Capsicum caballeroi.

I found the photo on ebay, of all places. I ordered seeds, so we`ll see what I get. I`ll post when I get them.

Here`s a wonderful photo of C.cardenesii flowers in the wilds of Bolivia. This is not related to the above post, difference source and not my photo. The blue/purple calyx is stunning.

The 3 species that it could be legally if they are infact from Bolivia.
C.eximium
C.cardenasii
C.chacoense

Being from ebay it's hard to say. Maybe it will be something unique. It seems to me that locals look at the wild capsicum like we would a wild nightshade. Get the weedeater out and clean up the backyard. The people that are enthusiasts seem to obey the laws. Hopefully you atleasr get a nice cardenasii out of the deal.

Pr0digal_son said:
The 3 species that it could be legally if they are infact from Bolivia.
C.eximium
C.cardenasii
C.chacoense

Being from ebay it's hard to say. Maybe it will be something unique. It seems to me that locals look at the wild capsicum like we would a wild nightshade. Get the weedeater out and clean up the backyard. The people that are enthusiasts seem to obey the laws. Hopefully you atleasr get a nice cardenasii out of the deal.

Exactly John, but how many people do you know that could tell the difference between any of the cardanesii/eximium complex?

In all honestly, I`ll be very happy to just get another C.eximium, while hoping for a cardanesii. 

I agree, wild Capsicums are looked at as Ho-Hum. They collect them for eating and don`t care what the species is. As far as I can tell Ulupica could mean any of at least 4 species. 

Back