• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

I got 3 seeds of Laceolatum sent to me with some other pepper species, I have them soaking in a solution of water and a plant hormone that will break seed dormancy. I really hope that they will grow for me this year. the last time I got 7 seeds and none grew for me. I'm soaking some Tovarii seeds in the same solution to speed up germination.
I have some other wilds that I got from my friend Chris and Allen Boatman, one species  which was just labeled as  CGN 17020 I have no idea what it is and I have a C. eximium CAP 1491 that I will be growing along with a couple of C. chacoense PI 260429 and CAP 499.
When it comes to liking various wilds I like growing them all, I want to grow C. flexuosum and C. Parvilfolium as I have not grown them yet. There are some other very rare wild varieties out there, but some of them are not yet available as they are Eastern Brazilian species.  

I have had very good success with germinating lanceolatum seeds from Peter at Semillas.  I just ordered another batch from him.  I am 2/2 on the lanceolatum's from him.

You are lucky to have the CAP 1491. Good luck!  I have been trying since October to germinate flexuosum and cumari pollux seeds with what I have on hand.  Finally, got cumari pollux to germinate this week.  I have had one c. tovarii seedling die and I am down to my last two seeds in the germ station.  Crossed fingers.  I also had one lanceolatum seedling die over the holidays.  I have a backup galapagoense germinating (CGN 22208) hope it lives.  My first germinated galapagoense is in the throws of death.  Gave it some beer the other night to try and save it.   Seedlings of CAP 215, Wild Brazil and Blue Mystery are being treated to the best of care at Chez Pepperia.

I ordered Ulupica from Tarija, Bolivia.  I put a few in rock wool this week.  Only time will tell if they are the true c. cardenasii.

good luck!

Here is an updated photo of my surviving lanceolatum:

E5QptbRl.jpg

wildseed57 said:
I got 3 seeds of Laceolatum sent to me with some other pepper species, I have them soaking in a solution of water and a plant hormone that will break seed dormancy. I really hope that they will grow for me this year. the last time I got 7 seeds and none grew for me. I'm soaking some Tovarii seeds in the same solution to speed up germination.
I have some other wilds that I got from my friend Chris and Allen Boatman, one species  which was just labeled as  CGN 17020 I have no idea what it is and I have a C. eximium CAP 1491 that I will be growing along with a couple of C. chacoense PI 260429 and CAP 499.
When it comes to liking various wilds I like growing them all, I want to grow C. flexuosum and C. Parvilfolium as I have not grown them yet. There are some other very rare wild varieties out there, but some of them are not yet available as they are Eastern Brazilian species.  

Wildseed57, what is this plant hormone that you are talking about?  Is it specifically used for certain wild peppers or can it be used on any pepper seed?  I am interested because I have some CAP 691 seeds that I want to germ that I am having problems with.  Thanks!

bpiela said:

Wildseed57, what is this plant hormone that you are talking about?  Is it specifically used for certain wild peppers or can it be used on any pepper seed?  I am interested because I have some CAP 691 seeds that I want to germ that I am having problems with.  Thanks!

Hi its a plant growth hormone called gibberellic acid it has many differ uses in the ag. and horticulture industry I got mine on amazon so far I have seen no early germination but its only been a few days. I plan to use it on my galapagoense seeds the chemical was supposed to come with directions on the amount to be used, but it didn't have it. its supposed to be 99% pure and at $10.00 a gram its a bit expensive. I have used it in a liquid form that is already mixed and I grew some of the biggest tomato plants with very heavy production of larger than normal tomatoes, in the past . I also mixed it with some rooting hormone to increase root mass. this is the first time I have used it on pepper seeds to break seed dormancy.  As this hormone is supposed to break dormancy on just about any plant species it should work just fine on pepper seeds. 

I have a small amount of galapagoense seeds That I will be soaking in the Gibb. acid, as I want to hopefully increase the germination rate as I'm down to on sickly looking plant that is now 3 years old. I did have 4 in one pot but they all died almost one for every year, to much early rain in the spring time, they really don't like wet feet at all, in fact they require less watering than other species.  I'm sill at a loss at what CGN 17020 might be species wise as I have not found any info on it yet, but I have been having blood test again and haven't had much time for search and find.   

wildseed57,

Accession number: CGN 17020 / PI 281353
Country of origin: Northern Mariana Islands
Species: Capsicum frutescens L.

:cool:

wildseed57 said:
 its a plant growth hormone called gibberellic acid... the chemical was supposed to come with directions on the amount to be used, but it didn't have it. 

Here is the information sheet that came with the GA3 I have- glad I had this as I had no idea about its solubility with water and the need to dissolve it with an alcohol along with the specifics to prevent recrystallization.

The GA3 I bought several years back was 90%, so I’m not too sure if the chart would be of any use for something of 99% purity as the measurements are already small enough when mixing into a solution- any over or under measurements would alter the intended outcome in a positive or negative way. Might be good as a general overview/reference material however (or a math inclined person could calculate it for the proper ratios for 99% perhaps..) Hope you can read this, I tried to enlarge the pic/text... couldn't get anything to work in Photobucket. 
(edit: think this is the full size...)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/Alchymystic/20160211_200344_zpszn37uyjb.jpg~original 
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/Alchymystic/20160211_200427_zps2epieead.jpg~original

20160211_200344_zpszn37uyjb.jpg

20160211_200427_zps2epieead.jpg

Thanks for the info on 17020 and the usage rate for the Gib. acid. I knew about adding the alcohol to it to dissolve the powder but was sure if I had the PPM right as it turned out I was at 40PPM So I was pretty much on the money. All the seeds I soaked in the solution are all plump and pretty I expect to see some little tails sticking out soon. 

GhostPepperz,

Likely the pepper is a Faria which is also known as a Tobago Scotch Bonnet. This was his favorite pepper when he passed.

Shawn Mitchell aka "pepperproblem" passed away in June 2013. Shawn was a white light in the pepper community and is missed by those he touched.

Jim

A little update on my lanceolatum and tovarii seeds, I checked them this morning and discovered that 3 out 0f 4 lanceolatum seeds had sprout tails but no tovarii sprouts yet but since all of the tovarii seeds looked like they should sprout anytime do to plumpness and color of the seeds I decided to plant them along with the lanceolatum seeds. After they come up I will give them another dose of Gibb and rooting hormone to see if that will jump start them some as they are very slow growing.

George do you attribute this to the Gibb?

GhostPepperz said:
What is that pepper in your pepper photo?
Ghostpepperz, Chis Phillips has a Faria for sale on the Puckerbutt website. Just noticed it today.

Hi Chiltepin, Yes I do attribute my success or luck as it maybe to the gibberellic acid. The seeds came from Italy and even been rolled through the mail machine so I really didn't have much hope for them, the last time I tried to grow them and some others, I just soaked them in diluted peroxide and had them sitting on a heat mat but not one sprouted and I even planted them after 5 weeks and waited another 3 months before giving up on them and they were supposed to be fresh seeds as I knew the grower.

I'm hoping that Nigel will see this post as I tried to PM him about what he might be growing this year but his mail box is full I was interested if he might have found any seeds of that were true C. cardenasii I know he has been looking for some. I'm trying to find some also. I have been looking for some C. flexuosum and C. parvilfolium seeds.  

chiltepin said:
GhostPepperz,

Likely the pepper is a Faria which is also known as a Tobago Scotch Bonnet. This was his favorite pepper when he passed.

Shawn Mitchell aka "pepperproblem" passed away in June 2013. Shawn was a white light in the pepper community and is missed by those he touched.

Jim

Sounds like someone I could have definitely got along with!

wildseed57 said:
Hi Chiltepin, Yes I do attribute my success or luck as it maybe to the gibberellic acid. The seeds came from Italy and even been rolled through the mail machine so I really didn't have much hope for them, the last time I tried to grow them and some others, I just soaked them in diluted peroxide and had them sitting on a heat mat but not one sprouted and I even planted them after 5 weeks and waited another 3 months before giving up on them and they were supposed to be fresh seeds as I knew the grower.

I'm hoping that Nigel will see this post as I tried to PM him about what he might be growing this year but his mail box is full I was interested if he might have found any seeds of that were true C. cardenasii I know he has been looking for some. I'm trying to find some also. I have been looking for some C. flexuosum and C. parvilfolium seeds.  

Geo,

I ordered Ulupica Cardenasii seeds from an International source and they have germinated this week.  Only time will tell.  Wild attempt at the right thing!  They are supposed to be authentic pepper seeds with purple flower, from the area surrounding Tarija, Bolivia.  See picture below.

4d88_12.JPG

The pods look pretty close to the description of what they should be, hopefully they are true cardenasii,
it would be great if they were.

C.cardenasii is from La Paz area. Tarija is probably 400+ miles south of there. Hopefully they grow true,but unlikely. Somebody else grew out seeds from that vendor and they didn't conform. I don't think true C.cardenasii will elude us much longer,with all the interest in that species,seeds should be available sooner than later.

Pr0digal_son said:
C.cardenasii is from La Paz area. Tarija is probably 400+ miles south of there. Hopefully they grow true,but unlikely. Somebody else grew out seeds from that vendor and they didn't conform. I don't think true C.cardenasii will elude us much longer,with all the interest in that species,seeds should be available sooner than later.

Thanks for weighing in John.  Time will tell if the flowers are the right color and campanulate, etc.  probably c. eximium. I have many wilds underway. cumari pollux, lanceolatum, galapagoense, etc.  Just when I got really interested in wilds you took off! I really enjoyed your photos and discussions.  Learned a lot from them.

Back