• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will Goats eat my plants?

Do you have any extra Goanna seeds I can get from you? :rofl:

I bet they could eat a ton of mites off my plants.
and put a hurt on the cats that crap in my pots. :woohoo:

When I was a kid, a friend of mine had 2 goats. One of them drank a drain pan full of anti-freeze that was left on the driveway. Everyone thought the goat was going to die, but it didn't even faze him. The thing lived for years after that. And yes, I'm sure a goat would eat your pepper plants if given the chance. I would hope that your neighbor wouldn't let his goats eat your garden while he takes them for a walk!

Sandgroper, I know that some reptile hobbyists will keep monitor lizards as pets.

Does anyone keep Goanna lizards as pets. They are a sharp looking specimen.

And I noticed that the base of tail in the pic looks enlarged...do they use their tail as a storehouse for future energy much like a Gila Monster does?

dvg
I really dont know. It is only fairly recent(within the last few years) that mere mortals in West Oz have been allowed to keep native reptiles as pets. And you have to have a licence. I dont know about the storehouse either but I will try to find out. I work in the mines and on the rigs and on one mine that I work at there are 4 BBQ's for the workers to use socially or when they get sick of the food in the mess.
Guys started feeding the bungarras(goannas) left overs and the bungarras started getting really aggressive and stealing food. They hiss and snarl at you and are quite scary. These guys were up to 2 meters long and weighed 100lbs plus. You dont argue with them mothers. In the end the mining co had to relocate all of the big ones and ban anyone from feeding the smaller ones. They still hang around but they dont mug you anymore.

Do you have any extra Goanna seeds I can get from you? :rofl:

I bet they could eat a ton of mites off my plants.
and put a hurt on the cats that crap in my pots. :woohoo:

They would certainly piss the cats off, probably eat them. The only goanna seeds that I find are smelly pellets and I havent managed to germinate any yet. They make the chillies grow really well though.

My neighbour walks his Goats past my new house twice a day, and I wondered if they are going to be a pest.
I understand they will eat almost anything, but I don't know if chilli is on their preferred list?

Seriously folks, people call us chilli growers crazy but who in the hell walks their goats. :crazy: We just eat ours.

I'd talk with your new neighbor first before growing a hedge or building a fence. Just because he has them doesn't mean they're free range goats. He could keep them under control.

Good luck with everything.
Sadly he seems to have little control over them, he just takes them out to get free food in the countryside.
When we viewed the house I found remains of Goats in the garden, and even one body in the house!
However there is one plus, there is a large quantity of droppings to be had that will help the rocks I mean soil.

Mix up a spray with some peppers if you have some already. It might, MIGHT keep the goats off. My parents sprayed some roses so they wouldn't eat them. It worked for us on three goats but the fourth, a male, ate them anyway.

Don't touch ANYTHING after you handle your plants if you spray them.........yeeeeeeeeeeooooooowwwwwww!

Mix up a spray with some peppers if you have some already. It might, MIGHT keep the goats off. My parents sprayed some roses so they wouldn't eat them. It worked for us on three goats but the fourth, a male, ate them anyway.

Don't touch ANYTHING after you handle your plants if you spray them.........yeeeeeeeeeeooooooowwwwwww!

I was thinking the same thing....I read somewhere that they use Trinidad Scorpions to keep elephants away from certain areas or things. I'm thinking a decent super hot may work as a deterent for sure. Only thing is you'd have to be mindful of innocent passer by's like children and such. From the description you've given so far, something tells me that wouldn't be an issue for you though.

Nah, you got me all wrong there. I don't want to recklessly zap all comers. Just the goats and the neighbor. I hve a little one myself. Nothing would make me feel worse than if she got ahold of a pepper. She has grown up knowing not to squeeze or break them because they are hot.

Things would be a lot simpler if you were here in Texas. As Justaguy said, your property. Warn him and next time have a BBQ. Fire roasted goat seasoned with chilies and garlic...........I'm hungry now.

Not you Woody, I meant the OP....(Lawrence). Seems like the place he's speaking about is remote....at least thats how it sounds.

Ah, my bad Capitone.

How about just tying a porkchop around the goats neck and letting the goannas take care of your problem?

Yes goats will eat pretty much everything but some things they have to real hungry to eat.

Many years ago my father had a bulldozer business, mainly clearing land and stock tanks.

He bid on one land clearing job for a AA Pilot, with the additional requirement he needed 3 months to complete it, my fathers bid was way below the other lowest bids. The AA Pilot talked to my father making sure he could do the job for that cost and was not going to ask for more money later. My father said that he could do the job for that cost and would not be asking for more money. So the AA Pilot gave him the job.

First thing my father did was bring a crew in repair all the fencing around the acreage. He then brought in 100 head of goats, set up supplemental feeders. My father would go by daily to check on the goats and there eating of the under and overgrowth.
After 3 months he removed the goats from the acreage and brought in his crew with bulldozers, clearing the acreage was a snap.

The AA Pilot was thrilled and amazed at what he had been seeing the goats eat, did not feel my father had screwed him over, that he had gotten a great deal. My father then told him the goats came from a local farmer and the farmer paid my father to let goats eat their fill.:lol:

The AA Pilot was thrilled and amazed at what he had been seeing the goats eat, did not feel my father had screwed him over, that he had gotten a great deal. My father then told him the goats came from a local farmer and the farmer paid my father to let goats eat their fill.:lol:

Double payday. Smart man. That is a good example of thinking outside of the box...or fence. lol

Yes it is pretty remote, it is a little place called Ramil Bajo in Andalucia Spain.
The problem is the neighbour is THE neighbour, when we move in we double the number of occupied properties!
I dont want to upset him, especially as my Spanish is at the basic end of rudimentary at the moment.
I really appreciate all your answers, you have given me a lot to think about.
I think the way forward is a nice spiky hedge with some superhot spray as a deterrent until it grows big enough.

While looking for "Goat proof hedge" I came across this
"Goat-keeping should not be undertaken lightly. Goats are difficult, suicidal, cantankerous animals" LOL

My goats were eating the bark off of my plum tree so I put bhut jolokia paste (bhut powder mixed with a bit of water) all over the areas they were targeting. I actually watched them eat the bark and paste off and then just lick their lips quite rapidly as if to try and subdue the burn. They still went back after that so I ended up having to place wire mesh around the trunk of the tree and branches.

YES, they will eat the peppers, plants, everything! :eek:

A customer that I work with grows some Habaneros, and he regularly complains that possums eat his chillies then shit all over the place when it finally hits them. Unfortunately it doesn't deter the possum from repeating the exercise.

And yes, Goats are awesome lawn mowers, and unfortunately excellent at stripping just about any living plant of existence.

It's a little known fact that all of the deserts of the world were once lush, green grasslands inhabited by wild goats.

Alan

Back