• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

Spicegeist said:

I don't know if you've seen this, Vegas_Chili is also growing out an F2, here's what his plant and fruit look like:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44189-wild-in-las-vegas-2014-hardening-off-and-flowers/?p=974595

Wow, interesting—sideways growth like Cumari do Para (sprawling habit?) and a ton of flowers. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to get in touch with Vegas_Chili and compare notes.

I brought all my plants inside this evening, right after a punishing rainstorm, with 25-30 mph gusts. That's why my Tepin x Barrackpore babies look a little frazzled here. These plants appear to be a few weeks younger than his, but as nearly as I can tell, the the growth habit of mine is more upward. (I can't remember the botanical term for that right now.  :P) The leaf shape appears much the same.

TepinxBarrackpore1.jpg

Devv said:
Tonight is 38-39° here, wind is crazy!

Forecast is for 35-37ºF here Scott, and yeah, the wind is freaking honking right now. I spent most of the evening getting all my plants back in the house....I understand Wednesday morning will be much the same way....I've got my fingers crossed that your in-ground plants will be fine.  :P  You got them covered?

Thanks Carl! Cumari is definitely one of the great surprises of the chile world. There's not much else like it....

Snowflakes, yikes! I just got real grateful!

Spicegeist said:
Wow, they look great.  Looks like you're going to have a nice season!

Thanks Charles! Here's another shot, to show the long stems:

TepinxBarrackpore2.jpg

Svetlana said:
Your babies do not seem to have suffered of the rainstorm, they are beautiful. What a beautiful green !!!

Thanks Isabelle! And thanks so much for stopping by!

mikkelbob said:
Great looking plants, looking forward to see them all go into the ground!

I see there's some talk about Søren Friis Larsens pruning techniques, here's a link to a guide he's made - it's in Danish but the picture on the first page should describe where he suggests taking off flower pods at least :)

Thanks Mikkel! And thanks for the great info...I will be definitely be doing that this season.

windchicken said:
Thanks Penny!

Just so you know, I've been fighting aphids and fungus gnats for several weeks now. As of today I'm winning  :P, but that could change at any time….

Oh really.....well here`s hoping that you have better success then I`ve had. ;)

Oh really.....well here`s hoping that you have better success then I`ve had.  ;)

Malathion, 1 Tablespoon per gallon. Soak 'em down good every couple days…If the bugs start really getting the upper hand I'll go to 2 Tablespoons per gallon, but then the plants need to go outside to dry or the house will smell toxic...

A few more baby photos, if you don't mind:

Karpathos Market, C. annuum, seeds from Datil. The pods for these seeds were collected in a market in Greece:

karpathos1.jpg

7 Pot Rennie, seeds from armac. I could have sworn there were 4 of these plants, but I cannot find the other one anywhere:

Rennie1.jpg

7 Pot Yellow (THSC). These plants are from third generation saved seeds. Still my favorite of all the super hots:

7PotYellow1.jpg

Gary it sounds like your getting hit with our weather. It went from the the 80's Saturday afternoon to throwing wood in the fireplace in the evening...lol

Sorry to hear about the insects, did you bring the plants outdoors then bring them back under the lights ? Those darn aphids can sneak in through a vent or the screen of an open window. It good to hear that you're taking measures to get it under control.

Einstein would be happy with the NagaBrains that I'm growing, as they're filling in the open space like the speed of light...ha
Thanks for those seeds again, btw the Bonda's x Yellow 7's are plush also....just need to move those rascals outdoors.

I'm looking forward to seeing your wide rows of plants !

Nulle said:
I'll take one of each, please. ;)

Lol, thanks Linda! Thanks for stopping by, too... :P

Penny said:

Yep!! ;)

Thanks Penny! It's good to hear from you! I need to check your glog...

PIC 1 said:
Gary it sounds like your getting hit with our weather. It went from the the 80's Saturday afternoon to throwing wood in the fireplace in the evening...lol

Sorry to hear about the insects, did you bring the plants outdoors then bring them back under the lights ? Those darn aphids can sneak in through a vent or the screen of an open window. It good to hear that you're taking measures to get it under control.

Einstein would be happy with the NagaBrains that I'm growing, as they're filling in the open space like the speed of light...ha
Thanks for those seeds again, btw the Bonda's x Yellow 7's are plush also....just need to move those rascals outdoors.

I'm looking forward to seeing your wide rows of plants !

The weather didn't get as cold as they predicted…I think around 39ºF was the morning low. But it was nice to get everything out of the shade tent and into the house where I could get a better look at them and take some photos. They're calling for 39ºF tomorrow morning, so I'll keep them in for one more night, as long as they're already there….

You're exactly right about the aphids…They came in on a volunteer Yellow 7 seedling that I dug out of one of my big OW containers in the driveway. As for the fungus gnats, they just seem to be ubiquitous. Every germ room I ever had has been infested with them.

Man, I need to get by and check your glog…I was just thinking today how lucky I am to have such amazing talent working on the F3 NagaBrain grow.  :P

I've been busting it for several weeks now getting the big beds ready. This year is going to be the year I finally get those bad boys finished!

Thanks Greg! It's great to hear from you.

windchicken said:

Forecast is for 35-37ºF here Scott, and yeah, the wind is freaking honking right now. I spent most of the evening getting all my plants back in the house....I understand Wednesday morning will be much the same way....I've got my fingers crossed that your in-ground plants will be fine.  :P  You got them covered?
We did OK here Gary, this morning was 45°, colder in town, we're higher and the cooler air sinks. No way to cover all the plants, I have close to 2,500 square feet planted. I have sprinkers in case of a frost, works really well. Dew point was in the 20's anyway. We had 20-25 steady wind and gusts in the 40's. Didn't help for sure, but not much damage. Today marks a month in the dirt, they really haven't grown, but have certainly toughened up.

Planting this weekend?

Back