• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

meatfreak said:
Don't they look picture perfect, great job, Gary!

Thanks Stefan! Those Jeanettes of yours are some crazy robust plants...I took the photo front the far end of the bed so their size would not be as distracting....  :P

compmodder26 said:
RCW beds look good Gary.  Got my RCW bed prepped last October, so it should be good and ready here in the next few weeks.  Good luck this year my friend!

Awesome Brian! Every time another grower builds an RCW bed the world becomes a little happier place :cool:

I'll be watching your grow—good luck to you, too! Thanks so much for stopping by, and thanks extra much for building RCW soil!

Devv said:
And we're off and running!

Looking good!

Lol, thanks Scott! I've got a lot of running to do to catch up to you!

millworkman said:
Gary I wish I could like them more, but that row is super crooked...   :)

Lol, thanks Noah! I've got no excuses—That bed will have that kink in it for many years to come—I think I counted around 40 bags of RCW to construct it, so it's not going anywhere for a long time  :cool: I've got one more to build on the slope above it, and I can't decide whether to make it conform to the kinky one, build it straight like the others, or bend it even more so it wraps around the hill....thoughts?

Devv said:
But crooked will grow just as well!

How about some character for aesthetics?

Lol...You got it Scott...Thanks dude!

Right on, Gary!  Planting out and looking good!

One of my big NagaBrains is setting pods - woot!
Will get a pic up for ya in a few days!

Thanks PG! Man I need to get over there and see that  :P :dance:

A few pix snapped early this morning—It's down to T-minus just a few days 'til everyone's in the dirt….

Siam Queen Thai Basil. These plants are bound for my brother's garden:

basil1.jpg

Chilhuacle Negro, seeds from meatfreak. I'm really excited about this legendary Oaxacan mole negro chile:

chilhuacle_negro1.jpg

NuMex Jalmundo. These plants are also destined for my brother's garden, in the "Old South" plantation district of northern DeSoto Parish:

kevins_jalmundos.jpg

Puya, seeds from meatfreak:

pulla1.jpg

F2 Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore, from the THP breeding wizard himself, Spicegeist:

tepinx2.jpg

Texas Pequin, from Austin THP member SmiterQ. No one's talked to Brian for a while, but we still grow and love the perennial Texas chile he kindly shared with us all those years ago:

texas_pequin1.jpg

You won't be disappointed by the Negro and Puya, both very distinct flavors on their own. The one thing they do have in common is the leathery skin they have. You got more Basil growing for yourself?

Devv said:
Nice plants Gary!

It's gonna be a good year!

Thanks Scott! I'm feeling good about it  :P

meatfreak said:
You won't be disappointed by the Negro and Puya, both very distinct flavors on their own. The one thing they do have in common is the leathery skin they have. You got more Basil growing for yourself?

Thanks Stefan...I can't wait to get some ripe pods of those...Thanks so much for the seeds. I have 10 Thai basil plants for my home bed. They should go in the dirt tomorrow.

Spicegeist said:
Haha, thanks Gary.   Things are coming a long nicely.  I can smell that basil just looking at the pic.

Thank you for those wonderful plants, Charles  :P Check out post #239 for a nice shot of the BMJxY7 grow—6 plants this year.

I'm looking forward to thinning the basil before plant-out time, because those get eaten on the spot  :drooling:

Super, Gary; love seeing that nice sun on your plants!

Can you give me a heads up on some of the plants of yours I'm growing out?  
Namely sun exposure and height is the info I'm looking for.
NagaBrain
Bonda x Yellow 7

Roguejim said:
Looking forward to those RCW beds in full growth. 

Thanks Jim! Everything's looking good so far...

PaulG said:
Super, Gary; love seeing that nice sun on your plants!

Can you give me a heads up on some of the plants of yours I'm growing out?  
Namely sun exposure and height is the info I'm looking for.
NagaBrain
Bonda x Yellow 7

Thanks Paul! Speaking of NagaBrain, so far I've only ever grown it in full sun in the ground, with the exception of the F1 mother plant, which has always been in a container. The RCW bed for the F2 grow received unaldulterated full sun up until mid-afternoon, but was protected by a large tree from the brutal late afternoon rays. NagaBrain seems to do quite well under those conditions. The height of the largest F2 plants was about 6'6". The original F1 mother plant grew to around 6'0" in a 25-gal container.

Speaking of Bonda x Yellow 7, unfortunately, because of my poor planning last season, I did not grow it under the best conditions. Last year (the F2 generation) the plants were in 5-gal black nursery containers sitting on black landscape fabric from midday until sunset. The plants only reached about 3 feet in height, but produced very well in the more temperate weather we have in early summer and then again in the fall. This year Bonda x Yellow 7 are in one of my better RCW beds in the sunniest part of my "desert" garden. We shall see how they do.

Thanks for asking  :P  

Back