• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

Devv said:
We did OK here Gary, this morning was 45°, colder in town, we're higher and the cooler air sinks. No way to cover all the plants, I have close to 2,500 square feet planted. I have sprinkers in case of a frost, works really well. Dew point was in the 20's anyway. We had 20-25 steady wind and gusts in the 40's. Didn't help for sure, but not much damage. Today marks a month in the dirt, they really haven't grown, but have certainly toughened up.

Planting this weekend?

Nice, I'm glad everything is okay  :P . I'll probably get a few plants in the ground this weekend...Most of them still need at least another week of hardening-up, though.

Trying to guess which tub are SmiterQ Pequins?  Maybe the back middle.

We got the same cold front and 39° here.  I had everything covered and brought my fruit trees back in for a couple days.  No problems though and looks like clear sailing from here on out.

Glad to hear you got plants going to hit the dirt this weekend.  These do look very nice. 

Have a great week!

Mike

Devv said:
Looking good there Gary!

Really nice healthy plants!

Thanks Scott! I'm always a little uneasy about setting my tender little babies outside in the great big scary world, but there comes a time when ya got to kick em out….. :P

capsidadburn said:
Trying to guess which tub are SmiterQ Pequins?  Maybe the back middle.

We got the same cold front and 39° here.  I had everything covered and brought my fruit trees back in for a couple days.  No problems though and looks like clear sailing from here on out.

Glad to hear you got plants going to hit the dirt this weekend.  These do look very nice. 

Have a great week!

Mike

Hi Mike! The SmiterQ's are the 6 pale-leafed plants in the front right tub. Then there are another 3 in the middle back tub, as you guessed, mixed in with the de Arbols…I've been hammering everything with Liquid MG in an effort to get the dark green leaves they will need to stave off BLS. There seems to be a fine line between too much and too little N2, but as of today everyone seems to be doing okay….

I'm glad you got everything back out in the sun…I went ahead and left the fig trees and plum trees out those 2 nights…It didn't seem to faze them.

Today I put the 3 BOCs, 5 of the Madame Jeanettes, 4 of the NagaBrains, and 4 of the Chocolate NagaBrains in full sun…I'm watching them closely for signs of UV distress. Fingers crossed, because if they handle it okay then they're going in the beds Saturday…. :party:

Y'all have an awesome weekend!

I was trying to get a good pik of this OW Cabe Gendot blossom (C. pubescens, Indonesia) this morning, but it seems I could only focus on the hairs…It's kind of a cool pik so I'll post it anyway:

cabe_gendot1.jpg

millworkman said:
That is a beautiful sight Gary.  I've got a surprise for you in the next few days.  I finally got back to that second wood pile.

Cool Noah! That pile should be gold by now!

Chewi said:
Nice!! Carlos' famous Chile de Arbol! Forgot about that one. Keep em coming man!

Hey Rob! Lol—Carlos, the man, the legend… :P

I'll be growing 5 plants, and Bob will grow 5…I think Carlos has a photo of those pods on his FB somewhere—He called them "chubbies". Anyway, those are some formidable plants. Really robust and pretty.

Found these pix on Carlos' FB. Chile de Arbol:

deArbol1.jpg

deArbol2.jpg

Carlos:

Carlos2.jpg

Okay, I'd plant a flag if there was a spot for one :rofl: .....but I've managed a bit glog this weekend finally...

"Gary, I am glad to hear that you have come of age proper with the Manzano's!  Imagine back in the days of the Inca's, gathering daily, or for a special feast!  To be there now would be something wouldn't it."
Be careful what you wish for.....you don't want to turn up in the middle of a Chac Mul ceremony as the center of attention,...just sayin(LOL)

Gary , I've got you smoked in getting behind this year, you'll have to settle for second most behind....I've got a tray in the hotel room with Green Hornets that are sportin maybe  quarter inch leaves on the first set of real leaves(they did get to sit by the pool yesterday, outside, but under a chair, full sun would smoke em right now. Daily casualties to the fungus gnats...2 Green Hornets left, and a few others I really want this year(SBB X 7Pot Yellow).Right now they are outside under the Yota.
...and I've killed 3 fungus gnats flying around since I started with your glog.

The Naga Brains made it in the second group of starts so I'm glad that came to pass-now 2 are in 20 oz cups, percolating under some T-5's. :dance:

I am headed to a Kroger down the road a bit to snag some Orange and Red Manzanos, all the comments are spot on there.Except , um, I didn't start any AGAIN!
Your starts are looking amazing-are those 2-3 plants(those were the pubes in the shot with the lights?) that sprung up together?, or do they always have the multiple trunk and branching like that?

And last but not least....one of my last pool boards was a Sims Phase 3, sitting on some Indy 150's...that rolled on the Double Radiused Bones.My tailbone still cringes when I see the Ollie mentioned(lol...ouch).Those rear trucks were in love with the TOP of the coping it seemed like!

Always a pleasure Gary-
DJ

Devv said:
Gotta love Carlos, and all that surrounds him :party:

Lol, Scott, I can honestly say I have never known anyone quite like Carlos...

gnslngr said:
Okay, I'd plant a flag if there was a spot for one :rofl: .....but I've managed a bit glog this weekend finally...

"Gary, I am glad to hear that you have come of age proper with the Manzano's!  Imagine back in the days of the Inca's, gathering daily, or for a special feast!  To be there now would be something wouldn't it."
Be careful what you wish for.....you don't want to turn up in the middle of a Chac Mul ceremony as the center of attention,...just sayin(LOL)

Gary , I've got you smoked in getting behind this year, you'll have to settle for second most behind....I've got a tray in the hotel room with Green Hornets that are sportin maybe  quarter inch leaves on the first set of real leaves(they did get to sit by the pool yesterday, outside, but under a chair, full sun would smoke em right now. Daily casualties to the fungus gnats...2 Green Hornets left, and a few others I really want this year(SBB X 7Pot Yellow).Right now they are outside under the Yota.
...and I've killed 3 fungus gnats flying around since I started with your glog.

The Naga Brains made it in the second group of starts so I'm glad that came to pass-now 2 are in 20 oz cups, percolating under some T-5's. :dance:

I am headed to a Kroger down the road a bit to snag some Orange and Red Manzanos, all the comments are spot on there.Except , um, I didn't start any AGAIN!
Your starts are looking amazing-are those 2-3 plants(those were the pubes in the shot with the lights?) that sprung up together?, or do they always have the multiple trunk and branching like that?

And last but not least....one of my last pool boards was a Sims Phase 3, sitting on some Indy 150's...that rolled on the Double Radiused Bones.My tailbone still cringes when I see the Ollie mentioned(lol...ouch).Those rear trucks were in love with the TOP of the coping it seemed like!

Always a pleasure Gary-
DJ

Hey Dave!!! Man, it's great to hear from ya dude! You, my friend, have to be the most dedicated chile grower I know—growing under lights in your hotel room. That is so freaking cool! And there are no words to say how proud it makes me that you're growing the NagaBrain.  :party:

It's too late, I am now incurably hooked on the Manzano chile…I am salivating right now at the very thought of them! I need to look up the Chac Mul ceremony—I'm intrigued….

You had to be a late 70s skate rat!!! Cool!!! That was really my favorite period…Those guys had style in their DNA. As you said, a love for the coping, too…Wow, that really makes my week to know that, Dave.  :P

Keep in touch! I'm on my way to check your glog now….

Last Saturday I managed to get 9 plants in the C. chinense row of my big country garden. In positions 1-3 are some nice plants of Bhut Orange Copenhagen, here saying "Hello" to another April morning in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana:

BOC3.jpg

In the "Mexican Hot" row I planted 5 each of: Chilhuacle Rojo, Chile de Arbol (Carlos "O"), and Lytle's Chile Pequin. These other 5 plants of Carlos' de Arbol are going in my co-worker Bob's garden:

deArbol3.jpg

These 9 plants of SmiterQ's Texas Pequin are waiting for me to get the "Bird Row" ready:

smiterq1.jpg

Cabe Gendot, a robust C. pubescens from the Dieng Plateau of Java, seeds from Indochilli. This is one of 4 overwintered plants from last season:

cabe_gendot6.jpg

These four C. annuum plants grew from seeds that Datil collected in a market in Karpathos, Greece. Hence the name. Fabrizio reports that the dried fruit tastes like sun-dried tomatoes:

karpathos3.jpg

Back for another season in the DeSoto Parish dirt is Doux Très Long des Landes, a wonderful sweet Cayenne from France, and an amazingly tough, heat-resistant, and productive plant. Meatfreak turned me onto this one last year:

doux_tr%C3%A8s_long1.jpg

millworkman said:
LOVE those beds still.  So perfect!  Great stuff Gary.

Thanks Noah! You know how to make me smile.  :P

Datil said:
Great job Gary!
Nice to see small seeds travelling all around the world and landing in good hands :)
The Cabe Gendot also looks real interesting!

Cya!

Datil

Thanks Fabrizio! Stuff like THP would never have been possible without the inter webs…If that was the only thing it accomplished it would be way worth it. :cool:

When I get some more ripe pods I'll send you some Cabe Gendot seeds. I would think they'd do well in your climate.

Devv said:
Woot!

Plants in the dirt, AND stellar looking candidates as well!

Woot! again ;)

Wow, thanks Scott!  :dance:
I snapped this photo of my F3 NagaBrain (romy6) population a couple days ago, but forgot to post it. These babies are within a couple days of being in the dirt:

nagabrain4.jpg

F2 Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore, a.k.a. "TepinX", from Spicegeist. These plants are growing like crazy:

TepinX3.jpg

My C. chinense bed in the DeSoto Parish garden is all planted, except for one F2 Chocolate NagaBrain (Tmudder) that I forgot at home. Hence the gap in the procession below.  :P The six plants nearest the camera are F3 Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, a.k.a. "BondaX" from Spicegeist. After the gap are 4 plants of F2 Chocolate NagaBrain (soon to be 5), then 3 plants of Madame Jeanette (meatfreak), and 3 plants of F5 Bhut Orange Copenhagen (capsidadburn).

Ignore the weeds. They are a projection of your cluttered mind :cool::

CaribbeanBed1.jpg

Back