• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2017

My every season starts with Texas Pequin, because it never stops growing. A few weeks back we dug up about 30 of these perennial plants to rescue them from the relentless march of the upcoming super hots...

pequin_1.jpg

Chile pepper plants of the New Mexico pod type (Capsicum annuum). The variety, bred at New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute in Las Cruces, is NuMex Sandia Select, probably my favorite of all the New Mexico chiles. This bed was built in 2013 of the native irony, clayey, silty sand and chipped oak branches. I have never added fertilizer, manure, worm tea, seaweed extract, fish emulsion, or anything else other than fresh water in those 4 years, nor has this bed ever been tilled. This practice, pioneered in Quebec by the late Professor Gilles Lemieux of Laval University, mimics the way soil evolves naturally in hardwood-forested stream valleys, and actually improves fertility over time rather than depleting it, as mankind has done for millennia...

sandia1.jpg

stickman said:
Hi Gary... Happy 4th! Hope you and your family have a great holiday and something nice on the grill.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Rick! Same to you, bud! As a matter of fact, I did get to grill some nice Green Chile!

My awesome Green Chile pickers: Jordan, Nova (my grand daughter), and Kendyl.
green_chile1.jpg

Jordan took this great shot with Kendyl's Polaroid:

green_chile2.jpg

Picking some Zapotec Jalapeño for Kendyl's Dad:

green_chile3.jpg

Peeling and de-seeding the roasted Green Chile...These girls work really hard, and, yes, I pay them!

green_chile4.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks like a fantastic time with family and friends, Gary. Memories in the making. Glad you've got some help.

How much heat does the Zapotec have? Must have good flavor.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the haul.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! You are exactly right about that...Some of the best times of my whole life, to be honest...But now the grandkids are gone on vacation and the New Mexico plants are really pumping out the pods. I believe my weekend is already booked!

Weeellllll, since you asked about the Zapotec....Is it still P.O. Box 382? :cool:

Gary

windchicken said:

Thanks Chuck! You are exactly right about that...Some of the best times of my whole life, to be honest...But now the grandkids are gone on vacation and the New Mexico plants are really pumping out the pods. I believe my weekend is already booked!

Weeellllll, since you asked about the Zapotec....Is it still P.O. Box 382? :cool:

Gary
I hear you about the weekends being booked. LOL! Not enough time to get things done during the week. No pods yet, but plenty to do. Stay hydrated and start early. That's my plan.

Yes Sir. That is it.

Devv said:
A fantastic grow Gary!

My wife had a question. "what does he do with all those peppers?" I said "I dunno" LOL

That sure is the mother load!

Keep it green bro!

Thanks Chuck! When I make Green Chile Pork Stew, I generally use one quart of roasted, peeled, and chopped green chile. It seems to take around 2 gallons of whole pods to produce one quart of finished product...I can never get enough stew, so, yeah, that...I probably need more plants...

OCD Chilehead said:
I hear you about the weekends being booked. LOL! Not enough time to get things done during the week. No pods yet, but plenty to do. Stay hydrated and start early. That's my plan.

Yes Sir. That is it.

Yep! In the NW Louisiana summer one must get all of one's gardening work done by 10:30 a.m. or so, or it won't get done...And lots of breaks to cool down, plus plenty of cold water!

Chris Dennis (THP member Meathead1313) seems to have produced a NagaBrain x 7 Pot Primo hybrid. The pods are freaking massive and screaming hot. I was lucky enough to do the first video review of this one, and it may very well be my last ever. Chris, thanks so much for the honor of doing this...You have created a very special and wonderful pepper, my friend:

[media]https://youtu.be/aTm69XUctIQ[/media]

Superhot Sim said:
Gary your a boss dude. handled like a pro.
I think Wes stitched you up buddy.
Great review and you done well.
Love the Mahala plant next to you in the review.
Top work my friend.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Simmy!!! That was an experience like none other, to be honest. I'm not sure I'm even the same guy I was before I did that...

Devv said:
Hey Gary, it hurt just watching the video. You did well ;)

Like you, I eat them with food. But I do like to taste them straight up, but in smaller amounts.

No more...promise?

Thanks Scott! The video captured a small fraction of the agony that succeeded it...That's all I'm saying about that, but it will be a very long time before I eat a super hot pod that large and potent again...

Got a chance to watch the video. You are a champ. Great review. When my pods start coming in I'll send them to you for review. LOL!

I use to do that. Not anymore. I eat about a third of bad to see what kind of flavor and heat. Then I save seeds from the ones that pass.

Sounds like a good pod to me.

Thanks again and yes we did enjoy it.

windchicken said:
Chris Dennis (THP member Meathead1313) seems to have produced a NagaBrain x 7 Pot Primo hybrid. The pods are freaking massive and screaming hot. I was lucky enough to do the first video review of this one, and it may very well be my last ever. Chris, thanks so much for the honor of doing this...You have created a very special and wonderful pepper, my friend:

[media]https://youtu.be/aTm69XUctIQ[/media]

Thanks for the kind words Gary! It's a blast to grow too. Ridiculously prolific, although the heat and humidity has them slowing down now. All the rain we've had hasn't fazed them either.
Have to give credit to you for the cross though, the seeds came from your pods.

First Gary I got to say mad props to you on the video .
You want find me doing that even when I built my tolerance up for Judy's peach bhut ss I still got guy bombs.
Love your yard & garden's
I got some tomato cages for the Zapotec's as they need them now.
The papa Dreadie or hybrid lost the pod but new ones are forming.
On another note I have a mystery pepper plant that came up with moms varigated black pearls pepper plants.
It's interesting as only moms black pearl pepper plant was in the pot .
Maybe a possible one cross?
Here's a pic

Back