• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Windchicken Grow 2011

My babies dodged another hard freeze last night, and I thought it would be good to get some more photos while I still can:

Congo Trinidad. A real beauty, and still my favorite:

PB040048.jpg

That congo looks a lot like the XL CR's I sent you, how's the heat on those Congos?

Hey Gary. I'm so glad you are finally getting a good harvest. That was a long wait, and thankfully, it looks like you have lots of chiles to keep you happy till next season. The Lumbres look good. I am just letting mine turn red and am slowly letting them dry to use as enchilada sauce. Hopefully they give you a good burn. Great photos as usual!
icon_smile.gif

Fine pics of some beautiful pods and plants!

I tried the Aji Amarillo last year and grew a huge plant with very few pods. I don't think it likes the southeast.

Hope the weather holds out for ya.

I can't wait, I've got 4 caja plants aready about a foot tall and will be using grow lights to make them as strong as possible for the spring. I've heard really good things about these, the citrus tang sounds very interesting.

They are super-easy and fun to grow. Expect massive plants with thick, woody, tree-like main trunks.

That congo looks a lot like the XL CR's I sent you, how's the heat on those Congos?

They do look very much like one of the two distinctly different pod types called "Caribbean Red Habanero." The Congo, when fully mature and in grown in ideal conditions, is, in my experience, every bit as potent as the Caribbean Red. I find the flavor of the Congo, however, to be denser and more savory, with a quite intense, pungent aroma, whereas the Caribbean Red, especially the variety I believe you may have, to be fruitier and sharper in flavor and sweet and floral in the aroma.

Holla if you need some Congo seeds and compare for yourself. I will do the same here!

Hey Gary. I'm so glad you are finally getting a good harvest. That was a long wait, and thankfully, it looks like you have lots of chiles to keep you happy till next season. The Lumbres look good. I am just letting mine turn red and am slowly letting them dry to use as enchilada sauce. Hopefully they give you a good burn. Great photos as usual!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Richard! I am officially in love with the Lumbre chile. All that great New Mexico chile flavor followed up by a nice, mule-kick bite...what's not to love?

Have you tried roasting any?

Fine pics of some beautiful pods and plants!

I tried the Aji Amarillo last year and grew a huge plant with very few pods. I don't think it likes the southeast.

Hope the weather holds out for ya.

Thanks SS! I remember reading your comments last year on the Aji Amarillo...She doesn't seem to be too fond of the South Central area, either. The plants struggled all through the summer just to stay alive, never mind producing any flowers or pods. Finally, since the weather cooled off in October, I'm getting the pods you see here, maybe 20 or so like that on 6 plants, but mostly smaller. What's interesting is that I also have one in a large container on the patio, which grew to 5 feet tall and grew huge, dark green leaves. That one has a few pods on it, too, so I plan to bring it in for the winter and maybe get some all the way to color.

My brother came by yesterday with his good camera and took some more pix.

Cajamarca:

DSCF4472 (1).jpg

Cajamarca:

DSCF4474.jpg

Scorpion-Tail Scotch Bonnet. These things out-produce the True Jamaican Bonnets by a magnitude of 3 or 4:

DSCF4480.jpg

Thai Chile:

DSCF4487.jpg

A mother tending her nursery:

DSCF4507.jpg

Cucumber Beetle:

DSCF4511.jpg

Guampinha de Veado:

DSCF4519.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion. Same pod as yesterday, better camera/photographer:

DSCF4522.jpg

Garden overview, facing southeast. The large rows on the left, except for the first two, are 12 plants long, and consist of C. baccatum, in front, and C. chinense, in back. The shorter rows to the right are 6 plants long and are C. annuum, mostly Thai Chile. The C. annuum row nearest the camera consists of 10 Lumbre plants, seeds from Richard:

DSCF4525.jpg

The dogs dragged up this cabeça de veado. Right after Kevin snapped this shot Christian's Daddy saw what was happening and yelled at him to throw it down.

DSCF4527.jpg

Thanks Meat! There is 3 feet between the plants, and 6 feet between the rows. I believe I need 8 feet between the rows, however, as the chinenses are difficult to walk between without breaking branches.

Gary,

Thumbs up on your "hilled rows"... :cool:

I wish I had that 30 x 90' garden....and kudos to your brothers camera work, he makes your photos look like the "peak of the season"

Greg

Hey Gary. Great pics! I did roast a few dozen of the Lumbres and they came out wonderful. I was really surprised how much my hands burned from only peeling a few dozen. It usually takes peeling a whole sack of Sandia Hots to get that kind of burn, and it lasted for a few days. I just can't peel with gloves and the hand burn was kinda enjoyable
icon_smile.gif

Gary,

Thumbs up on your "hilled rows"... :cool:

I wish I had that 30 x 90' garden....and kudos to your brothers camera work, he makes your photos look like the "peak of the season"

Greg

Thanks, Greg! The tall hill/bed/rows work way better for me. I like the roots to have plenty of loose soil. I'll tell Kevin what you said about his photos—He loves hearing stuff like that.

Lookin great, looks like you will be st til next go round...

Thanks! I'm counting on being set next year, 'cause I don't want to work that hard again for a while!

Hey Gary. Great pics! I did roast a few dozen of the Lumbres and they came out wonderful. I was really surprised how much my hands burned from only peeling a few dozen. It usually takes peeling a whole sack of Sandia Hots to get that kind of burn, and it lasted for a few days. I just can't peel with gloves and the hand burn was kinda enjoyable
icon_smile.gif

Cool, Richard! Yeah, those Lumbres are powerful, especially for a New Mexico type. I didn't think about the consequences of peeling them.

The forecast for last night said 30ºF, so I tried to get in as much of the big C. chinense as I could. Thankfully it didn't get that cold, and now I have a few chiles I need to deal with:

Congo Trinidad. I love these big pods, and their pungent aroma and flavor:

PB170002.jpg

Congo Trinidad:

PB170015.jpg

Congo plant hosts the Spider Babies:

PB170020.jpg

Aji Amarillo. They dodged one more frost...just may make it to ripeness now:

PB170024.jpg

Birgit's Locoto. Seeds from Wayright. An excellent C. baccatum:

PB170030.jpg

Lion Seed Company's "Garden Bird Seed," an improved Thai Chile. This was taken at eye level, 6'0":

PB170038.jpg

Congo Trinidad harvest. This is probably 1/3 of the pods that are on the plants:

PB180042.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion:

PB180050.jpg

Too bad you moved away from the Valley. You would still have a lot of good weather ahead of you here. Plus I could sample your peppers!

Very nice sir

Back