• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Windchicken Grow 2011

Yeah, look at those chubby Jala's :D I would love to see some more pictures of the Cajamarca. What is the white stuff on the pods, calcium from dried up water?

Those are some awesome pics of the Garden Gary. That is strange about your Aji lemon. Mine is doing the exact same thing. I was thinking it was the xtreme heat. But it is flowering like crazy. And those jalamundos look tasty :dance:

Hi Jamie! The Limon plants were showing ever-increasing amounts of yellow leaves, and production had come almost to a halt. I figured all the heavy watering I did during our summer of record heat had flushed the nutrients out of the soil. It took almost a month of feeding to green them back up. One warning about using bone meal: Protect your garden against nocturnal varmits after applying it! The possums and/or raccoons did some excavations of my rows the first night after I did the amendment.

Yeah, look at those chubby Jala's :D I would love to see some more pictures of the Cajamarca. What is the white stuff on the pods, calcium from dried up water?

Thanks Meat! Jalmundo is definitely one of my "must-grow" chiles from here on out! So incredibly productive, and a nice break from the punishment of the superhots. That residue is "Ortho Flower, Fruit, and Vegetable" spray. I was getting hammered by stink bugs, leaf-food bugs, grasshoppers, and cucumber beetles. More Cajamarca pix to follow this post.

Are you going to overwinter anything this year?

Hi Spice! I'm not planning on overwintering anything from this garden, but at home I have several plants in large containers that will come in the house before the first freeze: 1 Aji Amarillo (5 feet tall!), 2 Guampinha de Veado, 4 Queen Laurie, 1 Birgit's Locoto, 2 Caribbean Red Habanero, 2 Chiltepin, and 3 Black Prince. They are mostly late plant-outs that I figured would not have time to make fruit this season, however, they are all now setting fruit like crazy, except for the Aji Amarillo. The Black Prince, Habaneros and Chiltepins are old dependable plants on their second season at my house. Photos soon.

More Cajamarca:

DSCF4406.jpg

DSCF4408.jpg

DSCF4412.jpg

DSCF4414.jpg

DSCF4415.jpg

DSCF4416.jpg

DSCF4420.jpg

Wow Gary, I thought your Aji Limon were extremely loaded!
Then I see your Cajamarca! :eek:
Beautiful plants man! Great work.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! The Limon are going nuts for sure. I can't walk between them and the Congo Trinidad, and there's 6 feet between the crowns of the rows.

It's real hard to walk between any of the C. chinense rows, in fact, and they are all spaced 6 feet crown-to-crown. Maybe next year I should spread them to 8 feet.

Gary you have some fine looking "Cajamarca" plants, those were my earliest producer this year , I finally hacked all my plants down this past weekend, and those plants were still ticking, with many pods to boot.

Greg

A few quick pix from my other, much smaller garden:

Devil Tongue. Finally, nine months after sowing the seeds, my first ripe pod:

PA230005.jpg

Guyana PI 199506. An excellent producer, medium heat, and a very nice, savory flavor:

PA230017.jpg

Chiltepin:

PA230027.jpg

Question sir: do you have problems germinating the chiltepin?

I have some local pods and have been trying to germinate the seeds and have not had any luck.

Share with a Valley resident your secrets.

Btw the scotch bonnets you sent me germinated beautifully!

I grew the texas chiltepin. Taste was ok fresh. It was like a tiny ball of seeds wrapped in a super thin skin. I grew these for powder originally. I dried them naturally by air. I think they didnt taste to great dried. Ground them up and they had a burnt plastic odor to them.

Hi Guys. Rodney, you know a guy from the Valley has to grow Chiltepin! These plants came from Chile Pepper Institute seeds; I think that must be why they germinated fairly easily. Maybe a week or so longer than the other CPI seeds, and maybe 80% germination rate instead of 100% for the others. That's cool about the Bonnet, my first attempt at saving seeds! I'll be excited to watch their progress.

Spice, I love the flavor and heat of the Chiltepin--To me it's a "wild" taste rather than the refined, "noble" flavor of the New Mexico types. The only problem I have is all the birds that live in this neighborhood don't leave very many Tepins for me!

Hi Prodigal; I've never tried to dry these--They are really tiny, and the birds don't leave me many, but I would like to try it one day.

Guyana PI 199506. An excellent producer, medium heat, and a very nice, savory flavor:

PA230017.jpg

That Guyana is impressive Gary! :eek: I cant wait to see it when it starts to color up!! :dance:
I agree that Tepins are wonderful little fireballs! Its hard to walk by them without snatching one! :lol:

Kevin

Spice, I love the flavor and heat of the Chiltepin--To me it's a "wild" taste rather than the refined, "noble" flavor of the New Mexico types. The only problem I have is all the birds that live in this neighborhood don't leave very many Tepins for me!

Interesting. I'll be growing a few wild varieties next year, looking forward to tasting them.

Gary you have some fine looking "Cajamarca" plants, those were my earliest producer this year , I finally hacked all my plants down this past weekend, and those plants were still ticking, with many pods to boot.

Greg

Thanks Greg! How do find the flavor and heat of the Cajamarca?

That Guyana is impressive Gary! :eek: I cant wait to see it when it starts to color up!! :dance:
I agree that Tepins are wonderful little fireballs! Its hard to walk by them without snatching one! :lol:

Kevin

Thanks! Guyana has been very popular with my "audience." The flavor is nice and big for a chile of its heat level; I don't know how to describe it other than "very savory"...or.... "It's like a Hot Banana Pepper that doesn't suck."

I will definitely do a large "production" plant-out of them next year. What I would do differently: The plants are like Aji Limon in that there are very many skinny branches loaded down with pods, so that you get the "glompy" plant habit you see in the photo. I will probably use tomato cages or plant rings next season. Also, they are some real Hoovers for nitrogen.

That's how I eat Tepin....just grabbing one or two off the plant for a little "bump." :cool:

Great job, WC. The plants look amazing, I guess you don't expect frost anytime soon? Do you have frost over there?

Thanks Meat! Trying to second-guess the first freeze here is a roll of the dice. Last year it came November 5, but in 2009 it came in early December. Most of my crop is green right now, so I'm proceeding on as if I have plenty of time....

Back