• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Windchicken Grow 2011

Very attractive, do you like the taste?

Yes; I like them a lot. It may be the same taste as Scotch Bonnet, I wouldn't know. My true Scotch Bonnet pods have a few weeks before they turn yellow....

Nice lookin plants wish I had the space to do a pepper patch like that till then ill do my container thing.

Thanks! Stay with it, RB! There are container growers here who get far more production than I do...

Where did you get the seeds for the Scotch Bonnet/NOT Scotch Bonnet? They look like CARDI Yellow scorpions, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed!

Oh yeah, I'm real happy with these...

The seeds came from Peppermania, and were sold as "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet." Of the 12 plants which sprouted from that seed packet, 10 are producing the typical squash-shaped Scotch Bonnet pods, and 2 are producing these bad boys.

I know next to nothing of breeding peppers. I've always just planted seeds I bought out of a catalog. So with my limited knowledge, I figure it was one of 3 things:

1) As you said, a seed mix-up, or
2) cross-pollination, or
3) a genetic mutation.

I don't know how hot the CARDI Yellow Scorpion is...Scorpion hot? I estimate these pods at 200,000 SHU.

Whichever it is, I am definitely saving seeds. I may not have enough to trade this year—as you can see by the photo, there are not many seeds in the pods. But by this time next summer I should have several of these plants, and a good stock of seeds...

Hey WC. Your garden is off the charts. Are you planning on overwintering those scotch bonnett's. They look yummy. :lol:

I usually suck at growing tomatoes, but this year seems to be better. Saturday night we had a nice fresh salsa made with the Roma tomatoes shown here, some Guyana PI 199506, Aji Limon, scallions, a little fresh garlic, cilantro, and lime juice.

Roma 18Jul2011.jpg

iPhone pik, this morning, facing south: Nearest the camera is Guampinha de Veado, then Aji Limon, then the Trinidad row, Scotch Bonnet (not visible, except for one or two plants behind the Trinidads), and Cajamarca is last, next to the old tank. All the way in the back, sticking up next to the little meadow, are the Thai Chiles.

The main C. chinense and C. baccatum rows are 36 feet long, (12 plants each). Plants are spaced 3 feet apart in the rows, and there is 6 feet between the rows.

Garden 21Jul2011.jpg

wow looking good wind dude,
how do you get enough water to them?

Thanks, Nit! I have a 250-foot water hose...Also, I formed a little watering dish in the mulch around the base of each plant. (I saw a photo of coffee plants in Yemen planted that way, except with tiny stones instead of mulch.) That way the water funnels down to the root ball, instead of running down the sides of the rows and settling in the furrows, to the delight of the weeds and grass growing there....

Great plants WindC! Keep it going.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Your seeds are drying on the cabinet behind me as I type this.

Here's another photo, facing east, taken at noon today. I won't describe the rows again, except to say that the Aji Limon (fourth row from the left) has really taken off in the last couple of weeks, and threatens to overtake the C. chinense plants in size and productivity:

Garden2 21Jul2011.jpg

Thanks, Jamie! It comes from a rural water system, which is supplied by several wells. It's got quite a bit of lime in it, which I think must help the plants.

Hi (WC), The "hilling" method you use for your for your wide rows is outstanding! That's what my sister and I do with her vegetable plot, works great with our potatoes as well as peppers and other veg. There's no stepping on the roots, and the soil will dry out faster during the rainey season, also makes it very easy to weed using the hoe!

Back