• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Windchicken Grow 2011

Check-out the package of Cajamarca "seeds" I found in the mailbox last night...

WindChickenPlate3.png

WOW! - Thanks Gary! :dance:

My brother took these pix Saturday...

Aji Limon security guard soaking up some rays:

DSCF4320.jpg

"Whazzup?"

DSCF4321.jpg

Guampinha de Veado, C. baccatum, Brazil. A very tasty Aji type, one of my new favorites, very productive:

DSCF4343.jpg

Thai Chile. The old dependable. I grow these mostly for drying:

DSCF4346.jpg

Cajamarca:

DSCF4353.jpg

Cajamarca:

DSCF4363.jpg

Cajamaraca:

DSCF4366.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion, Angel, Cheyenne, Aji Limon:

DSCF4375.jpg

Angel, Habanero de Arbol, Cheyenne:

DSCF4376.jpg

Wow Gary, your garden is outta control man! :dance:
Great pics of your jungle,and Im diggin the security guard in the first pic!!!

Kevin

Gary I love the Garden gate keeper and your jungle is going off.
Looks like you better get out there and start harvesting. :woohoo:

Hey WC,

I've been gone for a while and just read the last 80 or so posts in this thread. All I can say is Holy Sh*t Dude!

Your garden has really exploded! Love all the great pics along the way. That cajamarca's taste improved any since I asked you a while back?

Now it's time for some harvest pics. :dance:

Keep after it my friend.

Wow Gary, your garden is outta control man! :dance:
Great pics of your jungle,and Im diggin the security guard in the first pic!!!

Kevin
Thanks, Kevin! Coming from the king of the chile jungle, that means a lot!

The Birgit's are finally setting some nice-size orangy-red pods, and the Queen Laurie have some pretty large green pods on them now. Photos soon.

Gary I love the Garden gate keeper and your jungle is going off.
Looks like you better get out there and start harvesting. :woohoo:
Thanks, Jamie! You're right, the Cajamarca and Guampinha especially are desperate to unload some pods...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing these with us. Your garden looks awesome :clap:
Thanks meat!

Hey WC,

I've been gone for a while and just read the last 80 or so posts in this thread. All I can say is Holy Sh*t Dude!

Your garden has really exploded! Love all the great pics along the way. That cajamarca's taste improved any since I asked you a while back?

Now it's time for some harvest pics. :dance:

Keep after it my friend.
Thanks DR! The final (We hope) triple-digit heat wave ended last week, so the plants are just now beginning to truly set blossoms and maybe pod up a little before the hard freeze comes, anywhere from early November to mid-December.

I'm liking the taste of Cajamarca a lot better now. I would still put the heat at somewhere around a good hot Cayenne or a milder Orange Habanero, but it's a real enjoyable chile just the same. It's got nice crunchy flesh, and quite a bit of sweetness for a C. chinense. I have plenty, so if you want some fresh pods PM your mailing address...

Thanks guys! There must be at least a dozen of those (anoles?) in the entire garden. There are even more skinks, but they don't sit still for portrait shots...

The shape of your Cajamarca's is so different from mine. Mine look like long pointy fingers. Mine had some heat, but not a lot and they were very crispy, best eaten fresh. They didn't seem to hold up well after they were picked, getting wrinkly skin within a day or two of harvesting.

How do yours taste? What is the texture and heat like? Any pics of the inside?

Here's how mine looked (from CPI seed):
P1170441.jpg

Very nice WC. Ya woke the sleeping security dragon. Cool pics. :)

Your chile garden is looking marvelous.

Thanks SS! I can only hope to someday have a garden as lush as yours!

The shape of your Cajamarca's is so different from mine. Mine look like long pointy fingers. Mine had some heat, but not a lot and they were very crispy, best eaten fresh. They didn't seem to hold up well after they were picked, getting wrinkly skin within a day or two of harvesting.

How do yours taste? What is the texture and heat like? Any pics of the inside?

Here's how mine looked (from CPI seed):

Hey Spice! Yes, the Cajamarca can make a real varied assortment of pod shapes. Every plant seems to have its own distinctive pod shape, as well as leaf size and color. Later on today I'll get down down to the garden and try to snap a few good examples of each shape. Also, there are some plants that seem to have more of the "purply phase" pods, and other plants have more of the yellow or orange pods.

As far as the the taste and texture of the fresh pods—Yes, I would say medium heat, maybe 30K-50K SHU or so, with a few around 80K. There is a nice initial sweetness right before the burn sets in, and a light aroma and fruitiness. The rounder pods, as pictured here, seem to have thicker flesh than the elongated ones. As far as the pods staying crunchy and fresh, the rounded pods keep quite well, even at room temperature. I can't say about the elongated ones, but I believe I may have had the same experience as you.

These chiles are real photogenic and the plants are crazy robust—They remind me of Camellia bushes. However, for my plants, the flavor and heat are a little light compared to other C. chinense, even habaneros. Like you, I would be real interested to hear other growers' experiences with the actual taste, texture, and pungency of the Cajamarca pods.

Hey Spice! Yes, the Cajamarca can make a real varied assortment of pod shapes. Every plant seems to have its own distinctive pod shape, as well as leaf size and color. Later on today I'll get down down to the garden and try to snap a few good examples of each shape. Also, there are some plants that seem to have more of the "purply phase" pods, and other plants have more of the yellow or orange pods.

As far as the the taste and texture of the fresh pods—Yes, I would say medium heat, maybe 30K-50K SHU or so, with a few around 80K. There is a nice initial sweetness right before the burn sets in, and a light aroma and fruitiness. The rounder pods, as pictured here, seem to have thicker flesh than the elongated ones. As far as the pods staying crunchy and fresh, the rounded pods keep quite well, even at room temperature. I can't say about the elongated ones, but I believe I may have had the same experience as you.

These chiles are real photogenic and the plants are crazy robust—They remind me of Camellia bushes. However, for my plants, the flavor and heat are a little light compared to other C. chinense, even habaneros. Like you, I would be real interested to hear other growers' experiences with the actual taste, texture, and pungency of the Cajamarca pods.

Sounds good, windchicken! I just got this variety in the mailbox today, looking foward too some more pictures of yours (and offcourse growing this next season).

Sounds good, windchicken! I just got this variety in the mailbox today, looking foward too some more pictures of yours (and offcourse growing this next season).

I think you will enjoy it, as it is a fun one to grow, even if you never ate the chiles. From the time of germination on through the season, the Cajamarca plants have been markedly taller and fuller than any of the others (well, except the Trinidad Scorpions, which are a whole 'nother story). I would love to grow some in front of the house, like a hedge, as the plants are tall and stout, with dense, dark green foliage, and loads of multicolored fruit.

I think you will enjoy it, as it is a fun one to grow, even if you never ate the chiles. From the time of germination on through the season, the Cajamarca plants have been markedly taller and fuller than any of the others (well, except the Trinidad Scorpions, which are a whole 'nother story). I would love to grow some in front of the house, like a hedge, as the plants are tall and stout, with dense, dark green foliage, and loads of multicolored fruit.

Thanks for the info, sounds promising! That's something I was thinking about doing next season also and if the neighboorhood kids dare to eat those... well better start young I guess :twisted:

Here's some new photos my brother took Saturday.

Habanero de Arbol. There seems to be a couple of different plant habits and pod types from this packet of seeds. First, the lower, shrubbier plant with the larger pods (3-4 inches long):

DSCF4384.jpg

Close-up of the same pods. The heat of these chiles is high—I would put them at about that of an Orange Habanero—but the burn, flavor, and meat of the pods are quite different—more like C. annuum than C. chinense—to my senses. Also, the pedicle, leaves, and plant look like C. annuum to me. Probably this is a discussion that should have its own thread. These are just my observations; I am not arguing with anyone else's ideas about this plant:

DSCF4388.jpg

This is the taller, leggier Habanero de Arbol, from the same seed packet. Note the C. annuum-like pedicles. They are later to ripen, so I haven't gotten to taste one yet. There are 4 of 6 plants with this pod type and plant habit. This plant is right at 6 feet tall. A Google image search, as well as Millworkman's photos in this thread, show plants that look quite similar:

DSCF4390.jpg

NuMex Jalmundo. These were planted late, in the heat of the summer, and are only now loading up with pods. The foliage is hiding an abundance of fat green chiles. In the row directly behind them are the Thai plants "Garden Bird Seed":

DSCF4401.jpg

NuMex Jalmundo. This is the results of my brother's thinning, to save the branches of the plants from further breakage, hence the small, immature pods:

DSCF4438.jpg

Cajamarca. This chile seems to have several different pod forms. The elongated shape shown here is the one which seems to be most often associated with Cajamarca. There are plenty more good Cajamarca photos from this shoot. Holla if you would like me to post them:

DSCF4422.jpg

Aji Limon. A few weeks ago these guys experienced a bout of nitrogen hunger, and stopped producing, but with the cooler weather and some solid feeding with bonemeal and Liquid MG, they are now loading up in earnest:

DSCF4423.jpg

Those are some awesome pics of the Garden Gary. That is strange about your Aji lemon. Mine is doing the exact same thing. I was thinking it was the xtreme heat. But it is flowering like crazy. And those jalamundos look tasty :dance:

Back