• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken Grow 2012

Looks like I'm getting a late start again this year...Should be setting seeds to sprout in the next few days....Anyway, here's the order I made from Beth this morning. It's not really my complete grow list, because I'm planting lots of saved seeds (from my 2011 Grow and from trades with my THP friends) for the first time this year. Also, I don't know that I will plant everything from this order, but I am excited about some of the new varieties:

Peppermania%205Jan2012.jpg

Absent from the above list but going in the ground this year:
Trinidad Scorpion
Congo Trinidad
True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Thai Chile (Garden Bird Seed variety)
Nambe Pueblo
Birgit's Locoto

Several bird types from THP friends, including, but not limited to (because I can't remember them all right now):
Texas Chiltepin
Prik Ki Nue
Siling Labuyo
Cumari do Para

Edited 1/9/2012 to add the following:

Last minute order from Hippy, plus some other trades I had forgotten about:
Yellow 7 Pot
Douglah
Malagueta
Pusa Jwala

If I only could, Gary :lol: Don't think the wife would agree with me ;) The Bonda ma Jacques and Aji Limo Rojo look great, love the podshape of the Aji Limo Rojo! Tried the Bonda ma Jacques myself also but none of all seeds I had germinated, maybe next season. Heard it's very tasty :drooling:

I have 2 of the birdseed that are almost 6 feet tall, not slender anymore but straight up plants. Then I have a bushier one, about 3 feet tall and loaded with pods. Have gotten 20 or so ripe pods. By the end of the year those plants should be huge.

On another note I got seeds from that guy in Austin, my plants have round fat pods. Makes me think I mislabeled it. Your piquin looks completely different.

I have an African piquin called a Jindungo, got it from my neighbor from South Africa. I will post pics one day, it is a cool piquin. You may want some seeds.....

Congrats on your treelike Birdseed plants Rodney! Even if I didn't like the peppers, I think I would always grow that one because it's such a cool plant.

Don't be too quick to judge the Piquin's shape. That's only one of the Piquin pods, the others may be different, especially since it's an open-pollinated wild chile. There are 7 plants in all, very lush, bushy, and dark green.

Yeah, I'm into the Jindungo, please save some seeds for me.—While we're at it I'm also growing another bird pepper from Thailand, Prik Kee Nue. Very healthy, pretty plants. I'll save seeds for you.

Wow Gary!!
Things are looking amazing over there!
Your plants and pods look awesome :fireball:

Thanks Brian! Maybe if it keeps raining I will catch up with your garden before the first frost gets here...

If I only could, Gary :lol: Don't think the wife would agree with me ;) The Bonda ma Jacques and Aji Limo Rojo look great, love the podshape of the Aji Limo Rojo! Tried the Bonda ma Jacques myself also but none of all seeds I had germinated, maybe next season. Heard it's very tasty :drooling:

Thanks Meat! I wanted the Bonda because I was planning a large grow of Scotch Bonnet and all her close relatives, and for some reason I had it in my head that Scotch Bonnet, Bahamian Goat, and Bonda ma Jacques were all very similar....But it's easy to see that not much at all is the same—from plant habit to leaf shape to leaf texture to pod shape, everything looks different to me. But now I'm even more excited about it because it's such a unique and interesting plant...

Gary your gardens looking super!
Man my plants don't pod out like that til the end of the season. You'll be floating in peppers soon.................... :cool:
I can see some brillant color chili powder in the near future......
Great work...

Greg

waaaahhh... i wanna go to lousiana.. heck i wanna go visit all you other people... wife just doesnt have the passion yet for helping me grow... i wanna tour peoples backyards!!

Keep on gardenin' KD! Soon people will want to tour your backyard!

Gary your gardens looking super!
Man my plants don't pod out like that til the end of the season. You'll be floating in peppers soon.................... :cool:
I can see some brillant color chili powder in the near future......
Great work...

Greg

Thanks Greg! Some days I get really overwhelmed, especially with the all the weeds and the lateness. You guys always seem to get me going again!

Small update today, June 15, 2012—

Overwinter volunteer Guampinha de Veado. Note last year's stump (and just ignore the weeds):

guampinha.jpg

Volunteer overwinter Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Same comments as above:

scotchbonnet.jpg

Thai Garden Birdseed:

birdseed.jpg

Full row view of Thai Garden Birdseed. Unfortunately, the plants are camouflaged by all the surrounding greenness. This shot is more to show the finished bed:

birdseedrow.jpg

Zapotec Jalapeño:

zapotec.jpg

Poblano:

poblano.jpg

Siling Labuyo. Seeds from Siliman:

labuyo.jpg

Keep on gardenin' KD! Soon people will want to tour your backyard!

Thanks Greg! Some days I get really overwhelmed, especially with the all the weeds and the lateness. You guys always seem to get me going again!

Small update today, June 15, 2012—

Overwinter volunteer Guampinha de Veado. Note last year's stump (and just ignore the weeds):

guampinha.jpg

Volunteer overwinter Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Same comments as above:

scotchbonnet.jpg

Thai Garden Birdseed:

birdseed.jpg

Full row view of Thai Garden Birdseed. Unfortunately, the plants are camouflaged by all the surrounding greenness. This shot is more to show the finished bed:

birdseedrow.jpg

Zapotec Jalapeño:

zapotec.jpg

Poblano:

poblano.jpg

Siling Labuyo. Seeds from Siliman:

labuyo.jpg

very nice plants pods are everywere, siling labuyo is good especially when u pickle them :drooling: :drooling:

Gary your Zapotecs sure are awesome! I only have a couple but they don't look like yours. I picked one to try tonight. If I get time I will also make some hatch green chile sauce.

Sure love those pine trees

Mike

very nice plants pods are everywere, siling labuyo is good especially when u pickle them :drooling: :drooling:

Thanks Pinoy! Sounds good! I probably will make chiles en escabeche with some of the Labuyos. Also a nice purée type sauce with the ripe pods to show what Tabasco sauce should taste like.

Gary your Zapotecs sure are awesome! I only have a couple but they don't look like yours. I picked one to try tonight. If I get time I will also make some hatch green chile sauce.

Sure love those pine trees

Mike

Thanks Mike! I sure wish one of those Zapotec pods would get some corking on them so I could try one. I'm glad you like the scenery, too. There's also a nice bayou down the hiil, cypress trees and all, beyond those pine trees.

Those Zapotecs Jalapeno's look great, already full with pods. Mine just started too form pods, the weather over here has been really bad the last couple of weeks. Only 18°C and too much rain again :(

Wow, and to think you were just getting hooks up in late February. You roll from seeds to big plants with pods pretty darn fast!
Everything is about 3 times the size of mine. But I'm glad PIC 1 commented on pod time frame comparo for him--otherwise I'd be sure I was doing something seriously wrong. (I probably AM, but I least I can pretend its okay for now...)

I hope those sili get off their butts and pod up soon. I've got a couple plants I overwintered and a couple from seeds, but they all take their dear sweet time around here.

Keep up the good work--photos and reports on your varieties much appreciated.... :cool:

Those Zapotecs Jalapeno's look great, already full with pods. Mine just started too form pods, the weather over here has been really bad the last couple of weeks. Only 18°C and too much rain again :(

Thanks Meat! Sorry about the weather over there. I've been pretty lucky so far this year. Judging by your previous grows, I know you will end up with plenty of pods.

Wow, and to think you were just getting hooks up in late February. You roll from seeds to big plants with pods pretty darn fast! Everything is about 3 times the size of mine. But I'm glad PIC 1 commented on pod time frame comparo for him--otherwise I'd be sure I was doing something seriously wrong. (I probably AM, but I least I can pretend its okay for now...) I hope those sili get off their butts and pod up soon. I've got a couple plants I overwintered and a couple from seeds, but they all take their dear sweet time around here. Keep up the good work--photos and reports on your varieties much appreciated.... :cool:

:P Thanks, Ken! And if I've done anything right this year, I can't tell you what it was, except for my switching over to the nursery containers...Those pots seem to be superchargers for delivering nutrients to the little babies.

Now that you mention it, It may be a little late for the long-season chiles like C. frutescens, even down South...Whatever the case, they will definitely get all the love and care I can give them!

I was busy in the garden yesterday—I finally got some windchicken-only time to take care of business. As it looked like my Bonnets were in danger of becoming rootbound before I got the rows ready, I went ahead and potted up into No. 3 nursery containers. There are 10 Foodarama on the left and 12 Jamaican on the right:

bonnetpotup.jpg

On Thursday I did the same for my No. 2 Plot of Aji Amarillo:

amarillopotup.jpg

Back at the house this morning. Of my 10 Yellow 7-Pot plants, one of them is from Hippy Seed Company. I sowed that seed several weeks before Jamie's seeds, so Neil's plant has a bit of a head start:

yellow7.jpg

This California Wonder is still in a 5-inch peat pot! What a fun plant to grow:

calwonder.jpg

There are 6 of these Aji Umba plants, all loaded up like this one. That little brown feller is my new buddy Charlie:

umba.jpg

For some reason I can't seem to get an in-focus photo of any of these Aji Amarillo pods. This overwintered plant now stands at 7 feet tall:

amarillo.jpg

Gary your plants are looking outrageous!

So many pods ,........so little time......................lol
How do you get a grasp of it all?.
Man I wish I had the land to spread out all those plants. The poblanos and Jalps are pumping out the peppers ..........nice.... And the Umba's....
Charlie looks cool! He has plenty of room to stretch out his legs and roam.
It's great to see your progress with the plants...........I can't imagine the weight of your total harvests this year.
The season sure looks like a good one

Greg

Thanks, Greg! Right now I'm trying to get a grasp of how in the heck I'm ever going to get the garden cleared and get all these plants in the ground...It's really just too much to think about at one time, so I just tell myself "It will all get done when it's time for it to get done. Worrying about it won't make it happen any faster." That actually works, well, that and all the encouragement I get here on THP!

Gary

:rofl:
hey - don't discriminate against us front yard growers!

thumbs-up.gif

Wow Gary you are gonna need to buy a giant smoker and freezer for this season. Now get off your butt and start getting all those bad boys in the ground :rofl:

And I love this pic :dance:

Thanks Jamie! It's funny you should say that, because my wife and daughters gave me a brand new smoker for Fathers' Day! Now I just need a big industrial food processor for all the Bonnet & LIme Purée I'm going to make...

I'm chipping away at those weeds little bit every day. After I got those Bonnets potted up Saturday I was finally able to visualize the finished garden. That was a huge milestone for me. Things will begin to move fast now...

I'm glad you like the Umba/Charlie shot...It's making me crazy waiting for those Umbas to get ready!

Gary

Hows the taste with the Aji Umba?...and that Amarillo is a biggun! Weeds? I thought that was bait to distract bugs... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've not tasted the Umba yet, Dave—They're all still green. Maybe Meatfreak can tell us what it's like...

Amarillo is a big plant with big pods—And they take forever to ripen. I've never seen one yet—maybe this year...

Thanks for looking!

Gary

Back