wing question..

hey, what would you guys recommend cooking wings on to get them crunchy via baking? i do not have a fryer, nor do i want to buy a ton of oil and pour it into our 6qt stock pot.. so baking is my option. i HAVE to use this defcon 2 bottle as it was intended, so any suggestions? i like the wings to be crispy as if deep fried, and i know it can be achieved, i just do not know how to do it. thanks!

If I remember correctly from my Mom (who bakes them as well), leave the skin on the wings, and cook them at as high a temperature as possible. Don't hold me to it, but that seems right.

dreamtheatervt said:
If I remember correctly from my Mom (who bakes them as well), leave the skin on the wings, and cook them at as high a temperature as possible. Don't hold me to it, but that seems right.

as high as possible is broil. my house would catch on fire.

maybe do them at 450 for 10-15 min then broil for a few?

If baking, I put em on a wire rack and bake on a pan at 250 for at least an hour to let the fat drain...turning every 20 minutes. Then go to 350-375 to crisp the skin and dry em out. Pour off the fat, Toss em in sauce, back on the rack and reduce oven to 325 on preheat setting to add some color to the sauce.

Man, baking wings (cringe). You don't need that much oil. If you use a stock pot and put a couple of inches of oil in it, it should work just fine. Just don't overload the pot or you'll bring down the temperature of the oil too much.

DEFCON Creator said:
Man, baking wings (cringe). You don't need that much oil. If you use a stock pot and put a couple of inches of oil in it, it should work just fine. Just don't overload the pot or you'll bring down the temperature of the oil too much.

heh i actually just baked some wings last night and put some of your sauce on there...that 1 is really hot! hah lips were tingling for a while after eating that stuff.

we no longer have a deep fryer here but i guess we could still manage in a big pot...i think next time i'll just throw them on the grill.

edit...also i let my roommates try the 1 and 2...one roommate wasn't about to try the 1, but he liked the two, and the other roommate was pretty pleased with the 1 and said it was hot as the other word for poop hahah

Grilling them is the awesome --- I do them as though I would bbq anything else cook to desired doneness, baste with sauce near the end, put them in a bowl and add more sauce if you like 'em wet --- if you have a smoker there is something tasty in all that smoke :P

xgrafcorex said:
heh i actually just baked some wings last night and put some of your sauce on there...that 1 is really hot! hah lips were tingling for a while after eating that stuff.

we no longer have a deep fryer here but i guess we could still manage in a big pot...i think next time i'll just throw them on the grill.

edit...also i let my roommates try the 1 and 2...one roommate wasn't about to try the 1, but he liked the two, and the other roommate was pretty pleased with the 1 and said it was hot as the other word for poop hahah

We aim to please.

Have to agree with luckydog, grilled wings ftw.

Usually ill just do them simple with salt&pepper and olive oil cook em on the grill then coat them with sauce at the end. Or marinade them and continuously baste them with marinade while they are on the grill. When your cooking them with marinade/sauce on them, this will give them a char-crispy 'bark'.

I don't fry in my home. It's just not how we roll. I think of myself as a wing professional. I bake all my wings. Any pan, a little canola oil, 400 degree oven, and cook em til they start smelling good. The fat will melt off and the longer you cook them, the crispier they get. I've gotten AMAZING results using a toaster oven actually. The toaster oven got the wings nice and crispy and cooked good and hard like they're supposed to be.

Just keep an eye on the wings. You dont want em to burn or cook too fast. But if you want to fry em, just use a deep frying pan with about 1/4 inch of oil in the bottom turning constantly.

However, i support baking wings. I'd put my wings up against anyone's fried wings. I'm just that confident.

DEFCON Creator said:
Have turkey fryer, will travel, and with 4 of them you can output about 4-5 hundred pounds in an afternoon!

Will travel, eh?

How about to Florida?
In fact, i know of a large, very popular biker bar(Peggy's Corral) that would make an excellent opportunity for you to decimate their clientele.
We could even rename the picnic area behind Peggy's Corral the "killing fields"

Sickmont said:
Will travel, eh?

How about to Florida?
In fact, i know of a large, very popular biker bar(Peggy's Corral) that would make an excellent opportunity for you to decimate their clientele.
We could even rename the picnic area behind Peggy's Corral the "killing fields"

LOL! "The Killing Fields", too funny! In time my dear Sickmont, in time. Remember, having to juggle a regular 9-5 job, using all of my vacation time to do trade shows, doesn't leave me with a lot of time to go very far on the weekends.

you guys may laugh at me when I suggest this...but when my father had to restrict his diet (he loved deep fat fried things as I do), my mother started using shake and bake and it dern sure worked...

I assume that's the same kind of principle with the cooking oil we get in spray bottles over here in England, you just coat the meat in oil, not drown it :?:

Cooking oil in spray bottles?! is that like cheese in a bottle? :lol:
Anyway I use Canola oil with my wings, not too much and that's enough. you gotta eat, but you need to live so you could eat some more! :D

actually it is a coating like crushed cornflakes that you use...dip the wing in a light cooking oil, shake off the excess oil...roll in the mixture and bake on 325-350 for about 30 minutes (or until done)...makes a good crunchy outer coat...

fineexampl said:
I'm going to bake some DefCon wings right now. I'll post pics.
Check it...

These are the best chicken wings around period.
S2010083.jpg

Ready to go!
S2010084.jpg

Oh baby! You mean to tell me this doesn't look awesome?? On the top is Defcon 3, the left is Defcon 2, and the right is my own concoction this featuring jalapeno and fatali.
S2010085.jpg

The Defcon sauce is absolutely delicious! You have won this wingnut over and i found a regular supply in Millburn, NJ. Pepperheads overcharges for their Defcon...like...way too much. Buy your Defcon from Defcon. My only complaint...i should have gotten Defcon 1. The Defcon 2 just wasn't hot enough. Luckily i had my homebrew wing sauce at the ready to burninate my lips and tongue. :mouthonfire:

Back