• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Looks like the bloody things started pupaing too or something so might pick up some confidor or something and see how that goes. In the meantime, just hit 'em with some eco oil and will see if that does anything.

EDIT:

Question. I just spiked my eco oil mix with Chilli Focus to save time as plants are probably due for a good foliar feed.... should do the trick, aye?

Never had white flies so don't know what to use. What do they do to the plants?
Wouldn't have a clue. :lol:

Apparently just the usual like suck life out of the plant and crap.... something to do with mold or something too. One thing I do know though is that broad mites like to hitch a ride on 'em!

1broadmite_new.jpg

:eek:

They eat your plants, lay eggs, and carry lots of gnarly plant diseases. They have some crap in their saliva that negatively effects growth too.
I used to have a few Salvia Divinorum plants and they freakin' LOVED it. They're a pain to get rid of.
I had to spray often, regularly check the undersides of leaves for eggs (they're tiny opaque things) and use those sticky insect catcher panels.
I also put foil around the base of the plants (so they don't know which is the underside of the leaves).

That's really cool pic.

Wouldn't have a clue. :lol:

Apparently just the usual like suck life out of the plant and crap.... something to do with mold or something too. One thing I do know though is that broad mites like to hitch a ride on 'em!

:eek:
Treat it the same as you would aphids I guess. Someone else today asked about whitefly, and hawiianAl just said soap and neem.

Eco-neem is your best bet in my opinion. Already mixed with an emulsifier (vegetables oil) and is UV stable for 28 days on the leaves so it sticks around and spreads out well and is easily mixed.
I just used it for a soil soak to get rid of ants/fungus gnats and also a foliar spray to ward off some (I suspect they were whitefly eggs) whitefly and also a pesky caterpillar had a little munch over night 3 nights ago.
So far hundreds of dead fungus gnats and ants and no return of the whitfly eggs. Just make sure its nice and cool to spray it or it will burn the leaves and also make sure you get the undersides of the leaves as well.
I have used it for a few years now and don't bother with anything else. Best used though before a problem is to out of control. Expensive stuff though.

Biggest one out the front with flowers is a jalapeno planted April, that has just stayed outside all winter and has had nothing done with it.
Next two biggest are capsicums. The other three large ones are my own habs from my NOT naga plant. They grew really quick, and actually the first plants I potted up and left outside all the time because I wasn't worried about losing them.
Close up of one:
ioTva.jpg

Something that has been bugging me all weekend after posting this.
That does not look chinense to me
I couldn't have mislabelled because there are 4 of them, 3 yellow/orange and a red. All from the NOT nagas, so I know they are a cross breed, but they all look like annuums?

that seedling is only about 3 weeks older than the tiny marouga chinense to the left.

Anyway, if it does make me some habs, I think I worked out the secret to growing chillies.
Get fresh seeds, straight of the plant. Stuff around repotting them at least 3 times. Use too much perlite so they drain really really well, leave them outside and ignore them (yes even in winter, that's why so much perlite), get fresh seeds.
Did I mention the fresh seeds?

Something that has been bugging me all weekend after posting this.
That does not look chinense to me
I couldn't have mislabelled because there are 4 of them, 3 yellow/orange and a red. All from the NOT nagas, so I know they are a cross breed, but they all look like annuums?

that seedling is only about 3 weeks older than the tiny marouga chinense to the left.
It does look like an Annuum. I grew seeds that were meant to produce Fatalii plants but instead produced one presumed bumpy yellow Chinense hybrid and 4 Habanero plants. I thought at the time that the 4 plants were Annuums because of the leaves resembling those of your pictured seedling.

I thought at the time that the 4 plants were Annuums because of the leaves resembling those of your pictured seedling.
Maybe there's hope for them yet then. But they sure look a lot like the jalapenos and capsicums at this stage. I was not growing any jalapenos or capsicums when I grew these NOT nagas though, so it's not a seed mix up. Edit: but nothing struck me as being not chinense before about them ; they looked 'habbish' when smaller, they've just had a massive growth spurt and changed I think.

Also didn't have them near any other plants when the parent was flowing earlier this year. But being the parent was some type of unidentified NOT naga habanero, it could be any type of unstable cross. Decided to let them be but buy some proper hab seeds anyway even though it's late in the year to start growing new chinense seeds.
I've got a few older hab seedlings, from proper known not crossed parents (not pictured before as they were planted in april and aren't with the new seedlings I took a picture of) and they are growing true to type with the classic stubby hab plant stature and leak shape/crinkling.

Looks like the bloody things started pupaing too or something so might pick up some confidor or something and see how that goes. In the meantime, just hit 'em with some eco oil and will see if that does anything.

EDIT:

Question. I just spiked my eco oil mix with Chilli Focus to save time as plants are probably due for a good foliar feed.... should do the trick, aye?
hmm you gotta be really careful when you misx ingredients that they dont react. Should be ok but I remember once thinking the same and mixed epsom salts with confidor and overdosed them and killed them all. So not sure if it was too much epsom salts or the reaction from mixing them, but will never do it again!

Eco-neem is your best bet in my opinion. Already mixed with an emulsifier (vegetables oil) and is UV stable for 28 days on the leaves so it sticks around and spreads out well and is easily mixed.
I just used it for a soil soak to get rid of ants/fungus gnats and also a foliar spray to ward off some (I suspect they were whitefly eggs) whitefly and also a pesky caterpillar had a little munch over night 3 nights ago.
So far hundreds of dead fungus gnats and ants and no return of the whitfly eggs. Just make sure its nice and cool to spray it or it will burn the leaves and also make sure you get the undersides of the leaves as well.
I have used it for a few years now and don't bother with anything else. Best used though before a problem is to out of control. Expensive stuff though.
Yeah, I used it once with pretty good results but ended up getting the eco oil last time instead to give it a shot (and save some dosh ;)). In all honesty, so far it seems to be working just as well! (It worked on my recent infestation of mites.... but as with neem also, only *for now*)

Does anyone know if the claims that "neem messes up the mating cycle of pests" has been proven? I'm very skeptical at this point and actually consider neem (oil) nothing more than something that suffocates pests.

hmm you gotta be really careful when you misx ingredients that they dont react. Should be ok but I remember once thinking the same and mixed epsom salts with confidor and overdosed them and killed them all. So not sure if it was too much epsom salts or the reaction from mixing them, but will never do it again!
Good point. :scared:

Well if Neem kills the adult pests i would say that would be enough to mess up their mating cycle, have to be alive to get jiggy with it!

Well normal seasol has not got any nutes in it that i am aware of so must be the powerfeed. I have given my little baby seedling foliar feeds with Chilli Focus and they were fine, haven't tried Power Feed misting though, may try that today. :)

Back