• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I have relatives in Melbourne but never asked them about the weather. How are the seasons in Aus? Is there much of a winter?
Just very wet and windy. Never gets below 0 though here, a few mornings of 20F, easy to keep potted full plants alive if you bring them in on the odd cold night and have somewhere to keep them out of the rain and wind. Edit: spring is normally the coldest, winter is just very wet and windy.

From what I've heard of Melbourne the temps can drop 15C/60F in like 30 minutes. I had some friends how drove there one year with no warm clothes and froze their bums off once night fell.

My brother tells me that in Brisbane the Winter there only lasts like 2 weeks. Mind you their summer is very humid, the kind where you feel like you need a shower about 10 mins after you just had one. :rofl:

Here in Sydney temps in the winter wouldn't drop much below 6C/42F, never get snow or frost where I live so I hope my plants can survive outside ok when winter comes. In the Summer it is really humid here. I'm sweating atm and it isn't from chilli.

Check out my pods :hell:

10112011202.jpg

My brother tells me that in Brisbane the Winter there only lasts like 2 weeks. Mind you their summer is very humid, the kind where you feel like you need a shower about 10 mins after you just had one.
Pretty much! :lol:

Here in Sydney temps in the winter wouldn't drop much below 6C/42F, never get snow or frost where I live so I hope my plants can survive outside ok when winter comes.
Yeah, they should be fine during winter. One of the pros to living in the sub-tropics. ;)

Check out my pods :hell:

10112011202.jpg
:cool:

Thanks guys. I am enjoying watching this thread. Hope you guys dont mind a non native yammering along here. Altostratus Undulatus.... This was a ciuple weeks ago. These arent storm inducing but still really cool. For a moment I was disappointed for giving up hallucinagens.

2011-10-18_17-39-58_807.jpg

Thanks guys. I am enjoying watching this thread. Hope you guys dont mind a non native yammering along here. Altostratus Undulatus.... This was a ciuple weeks ago. These arent storm inducing but still really cool. For a moment I was disappointed for giving up hallucinagens.

2011-10-18_17-39-58_807.jpg
Just looking at the photo I'm disappointed I gave them up too. ;)

Just looking at the photo I'm disappointed I gave them up too. ;)

I was on the golf course at the time. It took maybe about 40 minutes for the formation to pass by. Constantly changing shape and texture. Really sharp edged clouds with swirls that looked sandblasted. I let the guys I was playing with continue. I stayed behind and watched the display. As always the pictures could not capture the magnitude of it.

2011-10-18_17-41-16_830.jpg

Yo Yo Yo

Ok here are a few of my pretties, Its sad that I will end up losing them but hey a few poor sods have asked if they could have them ha ha I warned them but you just know that curiosity will get the better of them and as dad used to say "this game is gonna end in tears kids".

My Thai that refuses to grow high

P1010065.jpg

My 7 pot she is pretty sexy
P1010066.jpg

My ButchT - she is still the love of my life, even though I nearly killed her a few times when drunk.
P1010067.jpg

My Bhut Jolokia - starting to flower so thats exciting
P1010068.jpg

My Dorset Naga - resiliant plant survives anything and everything

P1010069.jpg

Little buggers are like me and love to drink alot lately

Love those clouds! Awesome photos. I'm dabbling with photography a little bit and slowly learning things. Not sure what camera you used but perhaps if you put some sort of filter on then it would come out looking more like you saw it (I still think it looks pretty good).I always see these beautiful landscape photos of up North with magnificent colours and wondered how they got them to look so good, turns out filters can play a big role and then of course photoshop afterwrds :)

Nice plants there too.
I'm a bit excited my overwintered white 7 Pot that I almost gave up on but have been treating has two small pods on it. Can't wait to see how white they really are and what they taste like!

My overwintered dorset naga has put out some pods. I'm not sure these are supposed to be looking like this. I did get one dorset naga pod of the right shape last season but it had a worm or was rotten or something. It looked like they are supposed too. These are completely different.

I must have mixed up the tags, I did have a few plants in these same pots so its possible. From the looks of it I'm thinking brazillian starfish?? any ideas?
fete033.jpg

fete034.jpg

fete035.jpg

I'm hoping to finally see some Dorset Nagas this year... I've always had such bad luck with 'em--mainly plants dying for various reasons but not limited to--and have yet to see even one!

Here's last seasons "Dorset Nagas..."

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

:lol:

I hear you on the 'NOTS', although the vendor didn't like it when I mentioned it here.

My 'nots' are still around, going crazy over the past 2 months, at least 40 fingernail sized baby pods each. Only just two weeks ago when they dried out a bit and there was 2 warms days, did they stop acting crazy, and start growing proper sized pods.
ET7U2.jpg

JvGty.jpg

The nice green plants are what I planted in September, smaller yellow ones are ruined older plants from august, due to the constant rain.
MN7aP.jpg

Unfortunately the only 2 nagas I have, are in the right hand side of the photo showing the good plants vs the bad.

I germinated too many annuums when trying out methods, so I just chucked them in the ground. Ironically, they seem to be doing really well even though I've ignored them, due to the decent rain.
TAFfp.jpg

Did the same in a back patch too (the larger baby birdeye is a year old), but the hab plant there and the annuums in the background are new. The hab just next to the larger baby birdeyejust wants to grow out, not up for some reason.
I3zK8.jpg

So some of my 'basket cases' in pots, I planted in the ground as well today (that photo of the nice green potted plants constrasted with the old small yellow plants on the wooden bench used to be full, so trasplanted about 12 plants today, the pathetic yellow things)
McBaX.jpg

It must really suck going through all the trouble to grow something and have it turn out to be different. I haven't had enough plants make it to pod stage to experience any NOTS. My dorset naga thats really a brazillian starfish was definitely a case of me mixing up my labels. I got a genuine albeit small and inedible dorset naga pod last season but through the overwintering I had a few plants that were just sticks. I guess my dorest naga never made it and I won't get to grow one for a year. :( I'll get some seeds for next season and grow a lot of them. :D

Back