• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I do have some Dutchmaster ferts in the house somewhere, i might load up the sprayer tonight and use it on the plants.

I am very hesitant to use synthetic ferts as a soil drench, lots of studies showing problems with doing so over long periods of time. However, I don't have too much of an issue using it as a foliar feed to try and get a "quick fix" as such if there's a problem.

BTW, I really don't have problems with bad insects at all, I have a fairly large population of good bugs around to take care of them. I think I counted about 10 or so ladybugs on one of my Nectarine plants the other day, as they find it real easy to get shade from the sun by going under the leaves.

Asian Birdseye - flowering profusely and lots of pods
IMG_20120208_100127.jpg

Douglah - this is the one Chinense that seems to be going ok at the moment
IMG_20120208_100152.jpg

TS Butch T in the garden beds - flowers keep dropping off
IMG_20120208_100208.jpg

Assam Bhut in a black pot - 2nd year plant - no pods
IMG_20120208_100321.jpg
How much Nitrogen are you giving the plants this season?

I can see some long internodes on the Assam Bhut. The growth on the bottom half of the plant appears compact yet the upper half has sprawled out.

I did put some pelleted chicken manure that has a bunch of other bits in it about a month ago, but it's hard to tell if that is the cause or its a plant reaction after they were smashed to bits from the storm on Christmas Day.

I went and sprayed my plants with an Epsom Salt solution today after reading that it can assist with pollination. I will give it a week, and if no improvements, will turn to a chemical fertiliser instead.

I did put some pelleted chicken manure that has a bunch of other bits in it about a month ago, but it's hard to tell if that is the cause or its a plant reaction after they were smashed to bits from the storm on Christmas Day.

I went and sprayed my plants with an Epsom Salt solution today after reading that it can assist with pollination. I will give it a week, and if no improvements, will turn to a chemical fertiliser instead.
How sterile do you think potting mixes usually are? I've heard for plants in pots, usually best to use chemical ferts, because it lacks enough of the organisms usually found in the ground to break down the organic matter. I don't know myself, I'm usually using organic ferts myself, and I'm wondering how effective they actually are in pots. I chucked on some sulphate of pot ash today anyway.
edit: Also heard peat causes nutrient lock out, wood chips consume nitrogen, foliar feeding isn't much use without a wetting agent to get the nutrients through the leaves protective layer, blah blah blah,. the more you try and learn, the more questions raised and the harder it all seems...

So did I break any leaf size records lol Naaahh seen bigger but thats one big 7Pod Burgundy leaf. The other pics of my former bonsai fatalii that I repoted at the start of summer. Lots of pods coming in now from most of the plants... nice

DSCF27311-300x225.jpg
+
DSCF2756-225x300.jpg

How about this one?
Bhut Jolokia White, 45cm high plant
all the leaves are like this

BhutJolokiaWhite-1.jpg

Thanks Grant.

I'm just trying to work out if I have a nutrient based issue, a humidity based issue (obviously drier 25kms north than the alongside the coast where you are), or something else. I have heaps of bees around, because they absolutely go nuts on the Asian Birdseye which I've picked a couple of kgs of already, but since the flowers are accessible above the foliage compared to below on the Chinense, I just wonder if the bees are lazy and not bothering to venture away from the Birdseyes. I've resorted to shaking the stakes a few times a day to see if I can release some pollen, but still don't really seem to see any pods sticking.

Your plants are just as close as mine, and you don't seem to have any issue with pollination do you?

I use "Sudden Impact for Roses" (from bunnings) when they start to flower.....they then grow heaps of flowers with minimal flower drop?????

UUHfp.jpg

First White Bhut pod ripening from light green through yellow to orange

My first White Bhut pod is currently orange. The second pod in the background is also orange.

Looking Gooooood Harry, when it turns red, also show us a pic of the insides....!!!!

*sigh*

It appears I have fruit fly or some shit now. All my pods are rotting and are full of maggots. I feel like just trashing everything.

Next season I will seriously have to reconsider the size of my grow list. Pest control is just too hard, too time consuming, and too expensive on a large scale.

Right now I can't be effed. Apart from a select handful of plants I will pay special attention to, I'm just gonna let whatever happen to the rest. No more pot ups (plants can stay in the pots they are in) and no more wasting ferts and additives (plain waterings from here on in). If all my plants die, they die. I will get back in the game come Autumn (when hopefully pests will be less active) and I will start a maximum of 20 plants. Hopefully by the time Spring rolls around, plants will be big enough to pump out some production. That's the plan anyway....

Chin up Gassy, at least some bitch didn't try to destroy all ya plants!

No more reports from me on the Purple Bhut, she killed that one. At least the ones in dirt are survivors! my four year old Butch looks like it went ten rounds with Mike Tyson and he didn't just stop at one ear! :lol:

Whats the story with polenating then? ive seen guys doing it to "produce fruit" mine always produce fruit ive never polentated anything in my life, is this when your growing indoors then?

Mezo.

Chin up Gassy, at least some bitch didn't try to destroy all ya plants!

No more reports from me on the Purple Bhut, she killed that one. At least the ones in dirt are survivors! my four year old Butch looks like it went ten rounds with Mike Tyson and he didn't just stop at one ear! :lol:

:shocked:

Did I miss something? What happened??

Whats the story with polenating then? ive seen guys doing it to "produce fruit" mine always produce fruit ive never polentated anything in my life, is this when your growing indoors then?

Mezo.

I've never bothered with hand or manual pollination either (unless cross-pollinating). As a chilli flowers are self-pollinating (flowers are equipped with both male and female parts) they usually do well enough on their own when the time is right.

I'd say your probably right about the indoor thing. With no wind or insects, they might need a bit of a hand.

I've never bothered with hand or manual pollination either (unless cross-pollinating). As a chilli flowers are self-pollinating (flowers are equipped with both male and female parts) they usually do well enough on their own when the time is right.

I'd say your probably right about the indoor thing. With no wind or insects, they might need a bit of a hand.

I've hand pollinated some plants to boost yields. I noticed differences in structure between the varieties that make some more readily self pollinating than others.

Just the ex went pshyco gassy is all. All good she only managed to kill about 7 plants, can't even kill chilli plants properly! :rofl:

Just the ex went pshyco gassy is all. All good she only managed to kill about 7 plants, can't even kill chilli plants properly! :rofl:

Oh my! I thought you were referring to "her" as in some kind of storm with a female name...
I hope everything's aight man! I'm glad my late GF lives far far away from my plants. :lol:

So in my stupidity tonight while looking too intently at (one of my 2 on the plant) my trinidad scorpion butch t (It is supposed to be anyway) I broke it off the plant :oops: :censored: :banghead: .... what a dumb ass .... anyway it gave me the opportunity to take a photo of it ... I still can't see anything resembling what I thought a trinidad scorpion would look like .....

IMG_20120209_194806.jpg

IMG_20120209_194752.jpg

IMG_20120209_194639.jpg

Sorry no time for decent photos tonight ... any ideas if this is indeed a trinidad scorpion butch t???

My BT Scorp does produce different looking pods throughout the season but that looks nothing like any I've grown before.

The good news is it looks nasty, in a good way :fireball:

Back