Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
That looks like them, the one I had was a lot smaller though, but similar shape.

I'll take some photos tonight. I really want to get both the Bongo Chilli, and a small fingernail sized chilli that I think is similar to the African Birds Eye, that I know a lot of Fijians talk about as well.

Out of interest, are you Fijian?

That looks like them, the one I had was a lot smaller though, but similar shape. I'll take some photos tonight. I really want to get both the Bongo Chilli, and a small fingernail sized chilli that I think is similar to the African Birds Eye, that I know a lot of Fijians talk about as well. Out of interest, are you Fijian?

Me? Nah. What led you to think that? :lol:

I used to get them 'cause at the time, apart from orange habs (:sick:), they were pretty much the hottest chillies I could get my hands on. Sooo much better than orange habs!

Yesterday morning while I was hanging out my washing, I decided it was high time to try my Choc habanero (if it is choc hab is debatable). Somehow I forgot how hungover I was, and the fact that I hadn't eaten much. I figured it would probably be like my last two habanero nots that I've tried and have stuff all heat. As it turned out it sure does have the heat of a habanero, and is by far hotter then anything else that I have eaten. I really couldn't have picked a worse time to try it. I've never had a chilli burn my stomach like that. Ended up drinking some milk to settle my stomach down.

Here's some pics from the chillies one of the locals gave me.

Bongo Chilli
IMG_5251.JPG

The call this one Jungle Chilli, but it looks exactly like African Birdseye

IMG_5252.JPG

I should be getting some yellow chillies tonight that they call the "Family Chilli", as it's hot enough to spice up the dish for the entire family. Seems to be a theme similar to that of the 7 Pot, will be interesting to see it.

Here's some pics from the chillies one of the locals gave me.

Bongo Chilli
IMG_5251.JPG

The call this one Jungle Chilli, but it looks exactly like African Birdseye

IMG_5252.JPG

I should be getting some yellow chillies tonight that they call the "Family Chilli", as it's hot enough to spice up the dish for the entire family. Seems to be a theme similar to that of the 7 Pot, will be interesting to see it.

Haha lol i can tell those chillies are from Fijian ppl only bcos Fijian people like their chillies green. Bongo chilli when it goes red tends to give you gastric problems. Well that's what the Fijians say. Lucky you got your hands on those seeds. The small jungle chilli is very nice. It has a very beautiful taste.

Hi all! I ended up here after hitting Google regarding sowing chilli seeds during the winter months here in Australia.
I've not had time to read the whole thread, but the first 10 pages has given me really valuable advice!
I'm very much a newbie at this growing from seed lark, but have been into chillies for a couple of years. During the summer i bought a fairly average plant from the local Bunnings, and after getting excited at picking my very own chillies from the garden, have decided to take the plunge and try growing from seed.
I ordered some from ebay....but after reading a few comments here and there i'm not sure if that was a good idea or not? (i've read comments like the seeds sent aren't the seeds they're meant to be) so i will probably give them a go anyway, but was wondering where you guys get your seeds from?
Sorry if i'm posting in the wrong section, but this was the only topic i could find "aussie based"

Oh, and one other thing, i've read a few posts regarding soaking the seeds first. I might give that a go, but was wondering how long do you soak them for as i couldn't find that info?

Many thanks

Neil

Hey Neil, drop on by, don't worry mate I'll fix you up with a few nice varieties
what have you been growing anyhows?

Hi all! I ended up here after hitting Google regarding sowing chilli seeds during the winter months here in Australia.
I've not had time to read the whole thread, but the first 10 pages has given me really valuable advice!
I'm very much a newbie at this growing from seed lark, but have been into chillies for a couple of years. During the summer i bought a fairly average plant from the local Bunnings, and after getting excited at picking my very own chillies from the garden, have decided to take the plunge and try growing from seed.
I ordered some from ebay....but after reading a few comments here and there i'm not sure if that was a good idea or not? (i've read comments like the seeds sent aren't the seeds they're meant to be) so i will probably give them a go anyway, but was wondering where you guys get your seeds from?
Sorry if i'm posting in the wrong section, but this was the only topic i could find "aussie based"

Oh, and one other thing, i've read a few posts regarding soaking the seeds first. I might give that a go, but was wondering how long do you soak them for as i couldn't find that info?

Many thanks

Neil

hey MM, looks like your chilli plants are growing back strong after the hail
are they putting out any pods?

but was wondering where you guys get your seeds from?

Hi Neil,

For you 100% JungleRain is your best bet, Grant is local to you & can help with local growing advice, he also has a great selection (see his grow list in his profile). I get my seeds from Judy (pepperlover.com) but have also got them from Chilliseedbank before & then there`s the Hippyseedcompany, & no doubt ill be getting some in the future from Grant himself, they are all members on here anyhow.

Im a newbie on this forum as well & have had great advice not just locally but from all corners of the globe, its a worldwide chillihead family this forum & packed to the gunnels with great advice & not only chilli`s.

Mezo.

Holy crap!! Trippa pull em indoors 200mm overnight.

http://www.theage.co...0305-1ubme.html

forecast-rainfall0503-420x0.jpg

The Bureau of Meteorologuy has repeated warnings the low pressure system of the southeast Queensland coast could develop into a cyclone.

"Damaging winds, with peak gusts in excess of 90km/h, are expected about the coast, islands and adjacent inland areas between Double Island Point and Point Lookout," the Bureau advised in a 2.10pm warning.

My Bhut`s don't need any more water, we've had enough thank you, some sunny weather now please.

Mezo.

Lance are you going to grow those seedlings through the winter?

Neil many people make a cup of chamomile tea then dilute by half with water and let it cool. Soak seeds in it for 24hrs at room temp and then sow them. It softens up the seed coat and makes it easier for the plant to break free.
I also give them a quick 5 minute soak in hydrogen peroxide solution to kill any microbes and it really softens the seed coat. It's good for old dry seeds or hard to germinate ones but its overkill for your first go. You will get good germination with the tea.

Many thanks for the advice, and also for the links to seeds...never thought there would have been someone in the same suburb, which is a bonus!
Grant...not planted anything yet, a total newbie! We bought a bog standard chilli plant from Bunnings, which then got me thinking....and thinking some more, and Googling etc etc and eventually ended up here! I've been into hot food and sauces for years though, but never really thought about growing my own until now....can't wait to get started!

Holy crap!! Trippa pull em indoors 200mm overnight.

http://www.theage.co...0305-1ubme.html

forecast-rainfall0503-420x0.jpg

The Bureau of Meteorologuy has repeated warnings the low pressure system of the southeast Queensland coast could develop into a cyclone.

"Damaging winds, with peak gusts in excess of 90km/h, are expected about the coast, islands and adjacent inland areas between Double Island Point and Point Lookout," the Bureau advised in a 2.10pm warning.

My Bhut`s don't need any more water, we've had enough thank you, some sunny weather now please.

Mezo.

Cheers Mezo!

Yeah I have been keeping an eye on proceedings , at this stage it seems the Sunny coast is going to bare the main effects. At work in Brisbane today and it was much wetter even up there then it was on the Gold Coast.

Stay safe down there Mezo and Gas and the crew around these parts as well... Hope no one else has been effected to much by the floods etc lately.

Lance are you going to grow those seedlings through the winter?

Neil many people make a cup of chamomile tea then dilute by half with water and let it cool. Soak seeds in it for 24hrs at room temp and then sow them. It softens up the seed coat and makes it easier for the plant to break free.
I also give them a quick 5 minute soak in hydrogen peroxide solution to kill any microbes and it really softens the seed coat. It's good for old dry seeds or hard to germinate ones but its overkill for your first go. You will get good germination with the tea.

yeah gonna give it a go getting a greenhouse soon yellow bhuts so well see how i go, and how are u been a while

I've been reading lots of posts about chillies that I'm missing cos all my plants died :P haven't been posting much cos all my plants died :P and can't really give growing advice cos all my plants died :P

My mind is planning next seasons take over the whole world chilli grow though.

Other than that nothing else has been happening... cept all my plants died :P

So did your plant died then?

Cant understand that, having grown in Perth i would have said its the easiest place to grow, just have to watch they don't get cooked on the 40°C + scorchers.

I should have set up a reticulation for my plants & shade cloth but it was only a renter & never knew if i was going to move out or not My main problem was snails in Perth, and millions of the buggers (crunch crunch) as i watered my plants.

Mezo.

Back