• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
im sure there is still some other western siders here.. im here very regularly, but due to only in my second grow season, being very small (will be likely 15ish plants only) and still learning more than having answers i just dont post a great deal.

my seedlings are all starting off okay... seem to be getting a little stuck at the 3rd pairish of true leaves... but we are just hitting the nice weather so im hoping they get a kick in the guts and start doing something.. also got an orange hab that has a heap of flowers but tends to drop them.. im blaming the cold weather.

Reactions: nee
Thanks mate. And tell me about it! I'm cheerin'! Still got that bad feeling that I'm jumping the gun on celebrating though..... :scared:
Fingers crossed for you ! I'm also hoping it works in case I get a problem this season. There are signs around here of a possible aphid threat. If it happens I wouldn't want to get chemicals involved if I could just call in the bug army to fight for me.

Everyone looks like they are cranking along. Nice work to everyone. Gas how are those garden beds going?? Hope my suggestions helped at least somewhat.
Will try to post some pics of my new season starts when I get a chance. I have been extremely slack both here and with my chilli plants but have managed to get some going anyway. Plus a few overwinters are looking terrible but still alive so that's what matters at the moment. Best of luck for your seasons ahead

Trips! Was wonderin' if you were ever coming back, mate! :lol:

Beds are going good. Whacked me first few plants in the other week. After all the organic goodness I dug in, it was a dream to dig in compared to it's original state. Lucerne is my choice in mulch now. ;)

Don't mention being slack. I have been planning on digging up another bed but have been putting it off for weeks. Should probably get cracking if I plan to use it this season!

I have no access/down time at my new work like I used to so my time online has been cut back big time. Will try to get on a little more though I promise

I'm in Hamilton Hill ferozaj but don't really have any plants to show just yet. Lots of babies tho if you want to checkout my glog.
http://thehotpepper....-20122013-glog/
I promise that there will be more photos of mature plants and I'll show my setup when I get my act together.

As part of that today I ripped down the crappy stick fence thing in my yard and got the right attachment for the bore retic pipe. This is the before photo from when I first moved in. Need to take an after photo :P
Chilliopportunity017.jpg

Now have to convince the landlord to come good on his promise to put up a new colorbond fence where the old leaning asbestos type one is. The thing is leaning in towards the yard and is broken along the bottom in several places. It's only being held up by star pickets and a big spindly bougainvillea straight out of a horror film :P

My plan for summer is to build a little awning along the fence to shade the top of the red brick wall where I'll have a line of pots. With the right angle they'll be shaded through the hottest part of the day and get some direct sun in the morning and afternoon. I'm going to have to setup some shading for the pots themselves so the roots of the plants don't bake.

Gday guys, new chilli grower in perth.

I have yet to get a big year as i only started this year near the end of summer.

Im currently growing for looks and for fruit. I love how birdseyes etc look.

Here is my intro thread if anyone is interested, it has a list of what i have growing and also some problems. Ill be making another thread in the growing section so i can expand my knowledge.

Any other active members in perth? im in kewdale.

Perths winter is generous isnt it...i had some chilli continue to fruit over winter

http://thehotpepper....riesexperiment/

Gday Ferozaj, great to see some more people from Perth.
Hope your season goes well for you.

Happy Chilli Growing,
micca

im from sydney originally just moved here after uni, much better work prospects for mech eng's.

I think ill get some shadecloth then to throw over it all....

Hey Mate, can't have too much shadecloth for Perths Summer. Too many scorchin hot days in summer here not too.
Hey what sort of Work do you do? You mentioned something about Mech Eng?

Micca

here are the after photos
bnaplants004.jpg

bnaplants003.jpg

bnaplants005.jpg

Check out the fence lean.
bnaplants009.jpg

bnaplants006.jpg

This looks to me like an awesome spot for growing chillies in pots :)
bnaplants010.jpg

And this bore thing is poking up right at the point where the red brick wall meets the limestone wall so its as easy as it can be for setting up reticulation.
bnaplants008.jpg

Another before and after photo of my veggies
4th of june
Chilliopportunity001.jpg

today 13th september
bnaplants012.jpg

Hey dudes, wheres the best (reliable) place to buy seeds on aus??

I need a reliable fallback if my bhuts dont sprout because i dont want to miss the start of the season :)

thanks

http://www.junglerain.com.au

The site is a bit funny with my browser (Opera), even with left clicks on my mouse it comes up JS "right mouse button disabled"! Grant if you're reading can you get your guys to look into that?
Works fine with IE and Firefox though.

You could try wildfire chilli in Perth as well.
http://wildfirechill..._Seeds-5-1.html

Whats oz?
The place at the end of the yellow brick road.
It's where the mites, fruit flies, slugs, snails, fungus and aphids live, and everyone lives under shade cloth.

Hey dudes, wheres the best (reliable) place to buy seeds on aus??

I need a reliable fallback if my bhuts dont sprout because i dont want to miss the start of the season :)

thanks

Like pablo said
www.junglerain.com.au has a lot of exotic varieties and some crosses too. I got the "left mouse button disabled" thing on firefox too, it is annoying!

There is www.thehippyseedcompany.com they have a lot of good stuff too.

Both these places have a wide range and a good reputation but they're in eastern states.

www.wildfirechilli.com.au is local and they have a stall at the canning vale markets every second weekend. They don't have as many different seeds as the other ones but they have a good selection of superhots and they're also going to be at the royal show in two weeks. So you can buy them in person or wait a short time in postage.

I've bought from all three of these places and had good service and germination rates.

If you are willing to shop around and possibly wait on postage there are a few more in Australia I could list if you want.

edit: Candice from Wildfire chilli says they won't be at the canning vale markets until after the royal show which is 29th sept to 6th oct. She will have plants for sale too if you don't want to wait on seeds.

Back