• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Your kidding right? yesterday i noticed one of my CGN`s with hundreds of ants all over it & sure enough under the leaves aphid larvae, so i picked up the pot & dunked it in a water tub, all the ants were drowned & i rubbed off the larvae stuck to the leaves.

Obviously you cant do this on bigger plants but ive done this many times on smaller plants, ive got a 50gal plastic drum with the top cut off & it collects the rain water off the roof off the van, once i have baptised the plant i move it to a new area.

And so the aphid battle continues, but im winning the battle. :dance:

Mezo.

I'm engaged in a constant war with blasted aphid farming ants. The aphids end up stunting growth by damaging the the shoots of the plants.

Your kidding right? yesterday i noticed one of my CGN`s with hundreds of ants all over it & sure enough under the leaves aphid larvae, so i picked up the pot & dunked it in a water tub, all the ants were drowned & i rubbed off the larvae stuck to the leaves.

Obviously you cant do this on bigger plants but ive done this many times on smaller plants, ive got a 50gal plastic drum with the top cut off & it collects the rain water off the roof off the van, once i have baptised the plant i move it to a new area.

And so the aphid battle continues, but im winning the battle. :dance:

Mezo.

Take a look at the plant tomorrow and you'll find that they've restocked their aphid farm.

Ants here actually aren't much of the farming type. Probably gave up a long time ago due to the constant attacks on the herd by predator wasps. :D

I don't know why but my ants aren't farmers. Although ten metres away over a wall there were some aphid infested roses I don't think the ants are involved. They're all over my chilli plants and I'm pretty sure they are pollinating everything but there's not an aphid to be seen.

A week or two ago had a few aphids on some seedlings but they were always ant free. Squished what I could see and later saw some ladybugs spending some quality time there :)

Happy new year.

Before I cleared out my plot it was full of weeds covered in aphids and looked a bit like this
5CFE0F40-7630-4F0D-B51B-86CD9243461C-2392-00000423775C0665.jpg
. You can actually see a farmer ant on the stem.
5F54972E-60D0-4A0B-B20E-1F904AAA1E78-2392-000004239704B20F.jpg
So you could imagine I was a bit nervous about my chillies getting munched. Luckily I have hoards of these guys watching out
B21EFDA1-588F-413C-9812-56A89E99B5F5-2539-0000013850C050FE.jpg

Early on in the spring i read a few horror stories regarding ants, and that it was best to keep them away from my chilli plants, so i whacked a load of ant sand down. But as the season has gone on, i have since witnessed the ants coming back, but i have kept my eye on them and have yet to find a plant with an ant on it that also includes an aphid. The only aphid invasions i tend to see here are on my smallest seedlings thankfully...and there's an ever decreasing number of those now too :)

My first superhots finally flowering!

Also next year when i move to my new place im going to start aquaponics. I was going to have a koi pond so i think this is a good way to filter and use the water :)

There is a big company in perth that does it so planty of local experience.

I wonder if chillis are possible , i guess it would have to be a different water rate compared to other lettuce etc as they dont like wet roots?

Have you read Ferrero`s glog? here.

Its not they don't like water its more they need oxygen to thrive, so you add air with a pump.

Mezo.

I'm in Adelaide for New Years, hopefully my dad has looked after my plants in my absence. Driving home today to look after them in the heatwave we are about to have...

Went and visited a store called Bio-Tech Organics in Virginia, SA. Been there before, but this time the dude had actually visited a chilli grower in central SA that had recently reached out for some help. He showed me some before and after pictures of plants that were targeted for some specific fertilisations, and god they looked great!

So I've invested in some fertilisers:

Soil drench: http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/mms/phos-life.html
Foliar spray: http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/liquid-fertilisers/nutri-key-calcium-shuttle.html

I am getting flowers all over the place, but as per last year, they don't seem to be pollinating. I am hoping that this fertilising regime will see a huge bounty reward at the end of it.

I use NTS products as well Milkman. Backyard boost and stimulate are the 2 I use from the home garden section. Great products but recently had there BFA accreditation removed :(

Backyard boost is quite similar to that phosphorus and calcium one you have in terms of ingredients it would seem

Very nice, are they safe out the front?

Mezo.

Exactly what I said! Apparently he lives in a nice suburb.

There is a high school near me and twice every day a mass of kids walk past. Don't think I could have chillies within easy reach like that.

Back