• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
It looks legit to me. Do they look ok? I can't imagine that they would expire but when you use one tell us if there are any hidden problems. Just goes to show how much of a mark up bunnings do!
I might get 1000 of them for $103 and that should do me for the coming season... and the next... and the next!
Yeah, I hate to think what the mark up on them buggers is!

Will definitely let you know if there is any hidden probs too. Can't see there would be, but you never know.......

So no germination so far with the overbleached seeds, will give them a little longer but not holding out on them. So have now soaked another lot, 3 varieties. Soaked in 10% bleach for mins, then put in chammomile tea overnight on heat mat and will sow into jiffy's sometime tomorrow

Daaaaaamn! It's a cold ol' night here in Brissy!
Wow 5C

Been that all week in Perth.
I kind of noticed it because my phone wouldn't stop ringing.
I'm in air con and it's been a week full of panicking people calling about their a/c not working in heat.

Couldn't do stuff all about it because of other peoples kids. My other half works in childcare and kids who are sick still get sent there by the parents.
She gets sick, I get sick, I lose money, contracts, customers and have to put up with the phone ringing constantly when I'm laid up in bed. It's on mute, the phone is only on to keep a log off the numbers calling so I know if anyone important (recognized or saved number), has called I will ring back later.
And seriously, I leave a voicemail message that I'm off work sick, but no one ever listens to the message. As soon as they hear the start of a recorded message they hang up, and ring up again later, hoping they'll eventually get me to answer, not knowing why I'm not answering because they never listen to the message, and they just keep calling over and over all day.
Yeah, don't have kids and not particularly fond of them right now. :hell:

edit: Don't take that personally anyone, just needed a rant as I'm sick, it's cold (though I wake up soaking wet with sweat in a fever every morning ;) ), I'm under too much stress as I get no help from nowhere.

Yeah let me know how those jiffy's go Gas ... Cheap as compared with 4 bucks for 12 from bunnings :eek:

On a positive note I had a new arrival today my first Cheiro Do Norte ... :woohoo: .

Wildfire how long have those soaked seeds been in germination for?? I have had 2 Yellow 7 pot/pods sprout in the past few days which have been down for about 5-4 weeks (albeit before I got my propagation setup sorted) but maybe give them some more time??? (feel free to tell me to shut my mouth you are much more experienced then me :lol: )

Pablo I feel for you, thats gotta suck.Dont worry kids annoy me especially other peoples, I'm just happy atm cos the new one is so good so far and im totally in love with him, he is such a cutie.

They have only been in since the 27th and /i usually give them plenty of time but because /i soaked them for 24 hrs in a strong bleach solution I really think I killed them. You shouldve seen them, they looked like albinos! i will have a little dig around tomorrow and check for any signs of life though...

I did have a big germination chamber lik JR's made out of house doors that I had a heap of heat mats, fluoro tubes and fan in but we dismantled it to make room for the new office so the baby would have a bedroom. Also I aquired a big heat cable mat which I put into the hothouse and planned on using to germinate all my seeds but I don't exactly want to turn that on for around 25 seeds so am just using my little germinating box that can only fit a certain amount so because I am about 2 months behind where I wanted to be I need to make room and stop wasting time.

Wow you got the upgraded offer, did you buy 2 get one free? :lol:

No mine were all full price and were spaced out so that I have been changing nappies constantly for 7 years.

Glad to hear you and the young one are doing well. My 2 year old is so cute and sooooooooooooooooo naughty. He knows he can get away with being bad so he is.

Ahhhh the Satisfaction of today is just getting started ... Watched the boy's team win league this morning, then settled in for a lazy mid day eating and drinking coffees and reading and tending to my chilli's ...

then my fortnightly pilgrimage to bunnings to pick up a few supplies (some more jiffy pots, a 290mm/14litre pot to see how it fits/looks and it got the wifes approval so they will be my final growing containers although at close to 5 bucks each only the bigger varieties will go into them and the rest into 8 litre pots, and some coir-peat bricks as a cheap filler at $1.75 for 9 litre equivelant brick).

I have also decided I will also be adding some 5 in 1 searles 100% organic ferts/additives to my mix and potentially some form of vermiculite/per-lite, although with the added coir it may not be needed.

Now I am about to cook a thai yellow curry and settle in with some Canadian Club classic ( the 12 year old stuff) which is my whisky of choice and to watch the Crusaders vs Reds ... hopefully that tops off the day with a crusaders win :beer:

I hope you all have/are enjoyed/enjoying your day/weekend ... peace trippa

EDIT: Also thought I would add I am putting in another lot of seeds to soak in chamomile/seaweed extract tonight for planting tomorrow including Burkina, Purple Tiger, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T., Pimenta Da Neyde, Hot Fish, Blondie and Fataalli (mostly thanks to JR :cheers: )

Hey Trippa,

I don't know if they have the same up your way, but at bunnings down here they have a pot plant recycling bin out the front of the garden centre......I just happen to borrow quite a few pots from the bin instead of paying for new stuff.... :idea:

Ahhhh the Satisfaction of today is just getting started ... Watched the boy's team win league this morning, then settled in for a lazy mid day eating and drinking coffees and reading and tending to my chilli's ...

then my fortnightly pilgrimage to bunnings to pick up a few supplies (some more jiffy pots, a 290mm/14litre pot to see how it fits/looks and it got the wifes approval so they will be my final growing containers although at close to 5 bucks each only the bigger varieties will go into them and the rest into 8 litre pots, and some coir-peat bricks as a cheap filler at $1.75 for 9 litre equivelant brick).

I have also decided I will also be adding some 5 in 1 searles 100% organic ferts/additives to my mix and potentially some form of vermiculite/per-lite, although with the added coir it may not be needed.

Now I am about to cook a thai yellow curry and settle in with some Canadian Club classic ( the 12 year old stuff) which is my whisky of choice and to watch the Crusaders vs Reds ... hopefully that tops off the day with a crusaders win :beer:

Hey Trippa,

I don't know if they have the same up your way, but at bunnings down here they have a pot plant recycling bin out the front of the garden centre......I just happen to borrow quite a few pots from the bin instead of paying for new stuff.... :idea:

Cheers JR , I will have a look next time I am there , It would sure save a bit of coin which could be put into potting mixes/coir and whatever else. Is it actually in the bunnings garden area or outside entirely??

Cheers JR , I will have a look next time I am there , It would sure save a bit of coin which could be put into potting mixes/coir and whatever else. Is it actually in the bunnings garden area or outside entirely??

its right out the front here...also I go to the tip or recycling depots and get them secondhand...300mm for 50c ea

Fell off the wagon last night and feels like I polished off a keg. Apart from numerous trips to the dunny to drain what both looks and smells like pure beer, been stuck to the couch all day watching telly and waiting for the hangover from hell to shutdown.

Did I enjoy my day...? I'm gonna go with no! :lol:

Is that 5 in 1 stuff like a compost or something? I actually got turned off Searles products after I tried their Herb and Vegetable potting mix once and it turned out to be one of the heaviest mixes I have ever used! "Essential drainage qualities" my ass!

Is that 5 in 1 stuff like a compost or something? I actually got turned off Searles products after I tried their Herb and Vegetable potting mix once and it turned out to be one of the heaviest mixes I have ever used! "Essential drainage qualities" my ass!

You add it to the potting mixes/soil as a slow release fert and soil conditioner.

Searles 5 in 1 Plus

Around 10 bucks a 30 litre bag

You add it to the potting mixes/soil as a slow release fert and soil conditioner.

Searles 5 in 1 Plus

Around 10 bucks a 30 litre bag
Ah, yep. Personally, still wouldn't trust it though after my experience with their Herb and Veggie mix.... :P (they've done their dash with me! :lol:)

Usually I just go the good ol' Dynamic Lifter pellets, but gonna experiment a little this season. Saved a pile of mix from my pots from last season which I've added composted manure to and will probably fertilize with Yates professional blood and bone and waterings with Triple Boost and will see what happens. As a bonus, I found most of my pots loaded with worms so hopefully they've done their thang and won't have to worry about finding and forking out the cash for castings either. :dance:

EDIT: Also thought I would add I am putting in another lot of seeds to soak in chamomile/seaweed extract tonight for planting tomorrow including Burkina, Purple Tiger, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T., Pimenta Da Neyde, Hot Fish, Blondie and Fataalli (mostly thanks to JR :cheers: )

Sounds like you had a good day. Mine ended up good in the end when my partner took our 4 yr old out on the boat fishing. Man he was running a muck this morning. It gave me a chance to plant my soaked seeds and clean out my hothouse and setup the heat mat for my next lot of seeds. Bought some pill boxes today to soak my seeds in.
I'm still trying to decide if I should plant the big lot into seedling mix in 64 cells or punnet type trays or to go all out with jiffys ( the latter would be a lot more time consuming though.)

mmm Canadian Club my favourite! And 12yr old even better! You have good taste. I like mine with Kirks ginger beer. Have a 1L waiting for me for when I can get back into drinking although I had a half strength one the other night that went down quite nicely. Glad I haven't experienced a hangover like you Gas in 9months but Im sure my first one is going to be a killer!

Sounds like you had a good day. Mine ended up good in the end when my partner took our 4 yr old out on the boat fishing. Man he was running a muck this morning. It gave me a chance to plant my soaked seeds and clean out my hothouse and setup the heat mat for my next lot of seeds. Bought some pill boxes today to soak my seeds in.
I'm still trying to decide if I should plant the big lot into seedling mix in 64 cells or punnet type trays or to go all out with jiffys ( the latter would be a lot more time consuming though.)

mmm Canadian Club my favourite! And 12yr old even better! You have good taste. I like mine with Kirks ginger beer. Have a 1L waiting for me for when I can get back into drinking although I had a half strength one the other night that went down quite nicely. Glad I haven't experienced a hangover like you Gas in 9months but Im sure my first one is going to be a killer!

Seems like you have been very productive Wildfire considering the extra mouth to feed and am very happy to hear that he is doing well ...

Can't stretch my budget to anything better and to tell the truth it may well be wasted on me anyway, but luckily I have plenty of people coming through who can pick up my favoured 12 year canadian club from duty free on a regular basis ( having plenty of family and friends living abroad does have its advantages) ...

so its a cheap drink duty free and tonight I have been enjorying plenty of it .. pity about the rugby but its only a game :beer:

For those yet to discover the joy of the 12 year Canadian Club ...

You'll never look back :woohoo:

I'm not a big fan of CC, I like it but:
I can drink it like water, and forget I've ever drunk anything. IE a half bottle can disappear to fast, and strangely I feel sober still. Maybe it's too smooth...

Back