• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Hi everyone
I'm back, thanks for all the congrats. We had a gorgeous little boy who has been pretty well behaved so far..
Prob wont get much of a chance to write on here for awhile let alone find time for germinating but am having a read when I get a spare minute.

Yeah I have one like that but I have them in trays without any holes in the bottom of them. May be a little stupid on my behalf but I figured it would be easier to control moisture on an individual level rather then overall. . Dunno if that is the smartest move or not. . I know that the humidity is not running. Back down into my trays. . Would be keen to hear what others do with a propagator like mine. .maybe I should put the trays back in that it came with with the holes in the bottom but they seemed more suitable for soil I thought. . Maybe next round i'lll use them. . Thoughts. . I hope nova is OK after seeing NSW get hammered in the first half :D
Can you put holes in the tray? (you still want them to be able to drain the excess water).
I have one similar to that http://wildfirechilli.com.au/products/Chilli_seed_germination_kit-66-9.html as well as the heat n grow kits. I usually put perlite under the seedling tray and fill that with water/nutrients. That keeps the humidity in as well as keeping the bottoms a little moist. If I could be bothered I would mist spray the jiffy pellets but if you are careful enough then you can slowly pour the water on top to wet them, I think it gets to the centre of the pellet a bit better and saves time. The good thing about having the perlite at the bottom of the tray is that if the roots come through the holes they don't get shocked and can grow into that a little and still get a drink.

Thanks for the ideas wildfire ...

although to be honest they are only in the propogator for germination and as soon as they are seen hitting the surface/coming through a little bit they are taken out and placed on a warm sunny window sill.
I don't have a place for the propagator that is light enough and warm enough (which isn't on my balconies) near a plug point (where my wife will allow it :lol: )

So I am forced to use the propagator simply as a germination chamber at this stage so they don't need nutrients or a great deal of water.

Also the reason they are in the trays they are in at the moment is because they were the mini Jiffy-7 greenhouse trays I had them in initially and I simply lifted them straight into the propagation unit after putting water into the base with the felt/wicking mat and then put the lid on (it was easier to keep track of them that way in terms of which was which variety as well)

I may revisit the other trays at my next chance/germination round

On another note I had 2 new arrivals this morning ... A Little Black Prince (9-10 days to sprout)and another Yellow 7 pot/pod (taken 4-5 weeks to sprout) so happy with that ... although I would like to see one of my chocolate Bhuts, Hot Cherries or Cheiro Do Norte's up next so I can make room for some more germination's.
My Dorset Naga's have until Sunday to show themselves before they get binned/put in a less then ideal environment for a further week and then binned, as that is their 6 week cut-off (no great hope there)

Wildfire ... long may the good behavior of the new arrival continue ... (you could send some of the good behavior my way for my little rug rats on School Holidays :lol: )

Great to hear everything is ok Candice, well done!

My new arrival for yesterday was a Yellow Bhut, took around two weeks to pop i think.

Hey Candice, hope you didn't mind me posting the good news. Keep well and hope Adam and Zack are getting better.

Sidenote I got 100% Germ out of 4 seeds of the CGN 21500 :cool: . Just thought I would let ya know how they went.

Micca

Thanks for the ideas wildfire ...

although to be honest they are only in the propogator for germination and as soon as they are seen hitting the surface/coming through a little bit they are taken out and placed on a warm sunny window sill.
I don't have a place for the propagator that is light enough and warm enough (which isn't on my balconies) near a plug point (where my wife will allow it :lol: )

So I am forced to use the propagator simply as a germination chamber at this stage so they don't need nutrients or a great deal of water.

Also the reason they are in the trays they are in at the moment is because they were the mini Jiffy-7 greenhouse trays I had them in initially and I simply lifted them straight into the propagation unit after putting water into the base with the felt/wicking mat and then put the lid on (it was easier to keep track of them that way in terms of which was which variety as well)

I may revisit the other trays at my next chance/germination round

On another note I had 2 new arrivals this morning ... A Little Black Prince (9-10 days to sprout)and another Yellow 7 pot/pod (taken 4-5 weeks to sprout) so happy with that ... although I would like to see one of my chocolate Bhuts, Hot Cherries or Cheiro Do Norte's up next so I can make room for some more germination's.
My Dorset Naga's have until Sunday to show themselves before they get binned/put in a less then ideal environment for a further week and then binned, as that is their 6 week cut-off (no great hope there)

Wildfire ... long may the good behavior of the new arrival continue ... (you could send some of the good behavior my way for my little rug rats on School Holidays :lol: )

Cool no worries. Just make sure that if you put them next to the window sill that you take them away at night or they will get really cold. (you prob know that though!)
Hmm I can't spare any good behaviour, my 4 yr old will be on holidays too, so only have 50% good behaviour atm :lol: How old are yours?
Great to hear everything is ok Candice, well done!

My new arrival for yesterday was a Yellow Bhut, took around two weeks to pop i think.
Thanks Nova, congrats on your arrivals, they went a lot quicker and easier than mine ;)

Hey Candice, hope you didn't mind me posting the good news. Keep well and hope Adam and Zack are getting better.

Sidenote I got 100% Germ out of 4 seeds of the CGN 21500 :cool: . Just thought I would let ya know how they went.

Micca

Not at all that's fine thanks Micca. Zack has a really bad cough so it's hard telling him not to touch his brother or sit too close all the time, all he wants to do is hold him!
Great about the CGN! Thanks for letting me know.
Hey if you need a heater for your hothouse the place I got mine from have just got some in http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GREEN-HOUSE-PORTABLE-FAN-HEATER-GREENHOUSE-HEATING-2kw-/300575003492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item45fbaa9364 (i'm thinking of getting one, what does everyone think of it, does it sound ok?)and a great shade cloth system, although very expensive, so might have to get Adam to invent something similar! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GREEN-SHADE-HOUSE-CLOTH-COVER-GREENHOUSE-SHADING-KIT3-6-/300565579495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item45fb1ac6e7

Cool no worries. Just make sure that if you put them next to the window sill that you take them away at night or they will get really cold. (you prob know that though!)
Hmm I can't spare any good behaviour, my 4 yr old will be on holidays too, so only have 50% good behaviour atm :lol: How old are yours?

Thanks Nova, congrats on your arrivals, they went a lot quicker and easier than mine ;)

Not at all that's fine thanks Micca. Zack has a really bad cough so it's hard telling him not to touch his brother or sit too close all the time, all he wants to do is hold him!
Great about the CGN! Thanks for letting me know.
Hey if you need a heater for your hothouse the place I got mine from have just got some in http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GREEN-HOUSE-PORTABLE-FAN-HEATER-GREENHOUSE-HEATING-2kw-/300575003492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item45fbaa9364 (i'm thinking of getting one, what does everyone think of it, does it sound ok?)and a great shade cloth system, although very expensive, so might have to get Adam to invent something similar! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GREEN-SHADE-HOUSE-CLOTH-COVER-GREENHOUSE-SHADING-KIT3-6-/300565579495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item45fb1ac6e7

Mine are 6 and 8 (soon to be 7 and 9) but one of each and they fight like cats and dogs ... :lol: as they all do ... nothing like a bit of sibling rivalry :hell: :cool: but they are pretty good kids really ... I won't trade them in just yet :lol:

those heaters look pretty good although I have no idea about greenhouses .. so my opinion is pretty invalid :oops:

The Heater looks like a good one. Even their tube heater doesn't look too bad.
I have seen something very similar in a Mazzegas Mitre 10 catalogue at the same price. Just never been able to get there on my pushy to pick one up!

Dunno about the Shadecloth thing. Damn expensive but seems like an interesting material.
Don't know what advantage it would have over putting up normal shadecloth over it. I would still take the doors and sidewalls off as you would be struggling to get air flow through otherwise.

Onto something else have you looked into Aphid meshing? Looks pretty expensive too but would be nice to stop those little buggers and get some plant isolation too! Here is a link Aphid/Insect Mesh I have only just started looking into this, will be interested in seeing if it works and whats available.

Micca

Mine are 6 and 8 (soon to be 7 and 9) but one of each and they fight like cats and dogs ... :lol: as they all do ... nothing like a bit of sibling rivalry :hell: :cool: but they are pretty good kids really ... I won't trade them in just yet :lol:

those heaters look pretty good although I have no idea about greenhouses .. so my opinion is pretty invalid :oops:

Yeah no matter how naughty mine are I wouldn't trade them in either.

The Heater looks like a good one. Even their tube heater doesn't look too bad.
I have seen something very similar in a Mazzegas Mitre 10 catalogue at the same price. Just never been able to get there on my pushy to pick one up!

Dunno about the Shadecloth thing. Damn expensive but seems like an interesting material.
Don't know what advantage it would have over putting up normal shadecloth over it. I would still take the doors and sidewalls off as you would be struggling to get air flow through otherwise.

Onto something else have you looked into Aphid meshing? Looks pretty expensive too but would be nice to stop those little buggers and get some plant isolation too! Here is a link Aphid/Insect Mesh I have only just started looking into this, will be interested in seeing if it works and whats available.

Micca

The tube heaters look good but there are no thermostat and you would have to secure it to your walls somehow.
They also have some louvers that you can fit to the bottome of the walls for extra ventilation.

The mesh is what I use for my isolation cages. I'm sure you have seen them in my garden? They work good for isolation but aphids are hard unless you can somehow fully seal the whole plant. So for plants in the ground it's pretty much impossible and for plants in pots you still need to get into the netting and the smallestcrevice an ant can crawl through with an aphid hitching a ride. I actually get more aphids on the plants enclosed in the netting as it is a better environment for them and you don;t lift the netting everyday to check on them.
So definately good for isolation as the holes are so small even pollen can't get through, but aphids not so good.

That’s right I remember your netting. I didn’t realize it was Aphid netting, just thought it was insect netting. I have 1 isolation chamber that I was using plant protection cloth on but I was having flower drop and not enough air circulation. Once the chamber is totally covered and goes all the way down to the ground I was hoping to stop those pesky Aphids and get some isolated pods too.
Thanks for the info Candice, i'll have to look further into it.

Micca

yeah I tried that same cloth in the past as you and had the same problems. This one works good as long as you build a proper frame for it where the netting wont rub against the plants if it is windy, otherwise it just defoliates them and they drop flowers.
I bought a huge roll of the mesh,if you cant buy a small roll or by the metre and wanted to build one or two frames i could spare some or i have leftovers you can use.

yeah I tried that same cloth in the past as you and had the same problems. This one works good as long as you build a proper frame for it where the netting wont rub against the plants if it is windy, otherwise it just defoliates them and they drop flowers.
I bought a huge roll of the mesh,if you cant buy a small roll or by the metre and wanted to build one or two frames i could spare some or i have leftovers you can use.

Cool, i'll let you know if I have trouble.

Micca

Yeah no matter how naughty mine are I wouldn't trade them in either.

Mine are 2, 5 & 7 and I looked into it.... they discontinued that trade-in promotion. I guess we are stuck with them.. forever... :shocked:

Ebays iz awesome....

IMG_6141.jpg

50 of them bad boys for a couple bucks less than a pack of 24. :cool:

They look like Fothergillzez as well.... :D

Ebays iz awesome....

IMG_6141.jpg

50 of them bad boys for a couple bucks less than a pack of 24. :cool:

They look like Fothergillzez as well.... :D
It looks legit to me. Do they look ok? I can't imagine that they would expire but when you use one tell us if there are any hidden problems. Just goes to show how much of a mark up bunnings do!
I might get 1000 of them for $103 and that should do me for the coming season... and the next... and the next!

Back