• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
For gardening supplies, I'd go to a stock n station type store, you'll get 100L perlite for the price Bunnings charges for 5L or whatever those tiny bags are.
Bunnings = Evil.

My sixteenth Rocoto sprout is up today bringing my total to fifteen Rocoto sprouts.

On the issue of potting up pro intermediate sized pots. Particularly in the cooler months where larger pots never dry out. Last season I went from 0.5 L pots (~10 cm diameter) to 3.0 L pots (~14 cm diameter).

For gardening supplies, I'd go to a stock n station type store, you'll get 100L perlite for the price Bunnings charges for 5L or whatever those tiny bags are.
Bunnings = Evil.
What is this stock n station you speak of.... and why don't I know about it?? :lol:

And what else do they sell dirt cheap?

What is this stock n station you speak of.... and why don't I know about it?? :lol:

Like an Elders rural supplies or in my home town it was Furnies town and country. The places where you get grain and stuff from. In Brisvegas, I go down to the one near Logan.

Also, you been to Garden City Plastics? They're awesome too, they claim they only sell in bulk lots, but if go see them, they're pretty cool about selling smaller amount. By small I mean maybe 20 pots, whole roll, or something like that. Not too sure how they'd go if you asked for 1x 10cm pot tho :P

Like an Elders rural supplies or in my home town it was Furnies town and country. The places where you get grain and stuff from. In Brisvegas, I go down to the one near Logan.

Also, you been to Garden City Plastics? They're awesome too, they claim they sell in bulk lots, but if go see them, they're pretty cool about selling smaller amount. By small I mean maybe 20 pots, whole roll, or something like that. Not too sure how they'd go if you asked for 1x 10cm pot tho :P
Where's this one near Logan? Hook me up!

And this Garden City Plastics place, roughly how much cheaper is it to buy pots from them?

Bunnings = Evil.
Thats like what i mentioned earlier. The Agrishop (rural farmers supplies) has 100L for $28 whereas hydroshop its $65.

Also get things that are sold in bulk, like big containers of seasol. Works out a lot cheaper.
And obviously more spare time too..... :lol:
Spare time...I wish !!!! Once you have a baby all you do is change nappies, try and get them to sleep and become an on demand milk machine. I'm lucky if i can get myself a tea in the morning. I hate potting up too and just threw out a bunch of plants yesterday that were in tiny pots that I never got around to last season.

Also, you been to Garden City Plastics? They're awesome too, they claim they only sell in bulk lots, but if go see them, they're pretty cool about selling smaller amount. By small I mean maybe 20 pots, whole roll, or something like that. Not too sure how they'd go if you asked for 1x 10cm pot tho :P

Bunnings may be evil but they are close and convenient ... I can't be naffed trying to source something from a rural supply shop when I have to travel 30-40 minutes to get there.

Is garden city plastics in garden city (logan??) and how much cheaper are they for say 10-20 14 litre pots??

EDIT: Closest supply shop I have found is Beenleigh ...35kms away (40 mins) .. I think I will stick with my Evil Bunnings :lol: I travel to Brisbane and back each working day so I don't really feel like going back on a sat or sunday again ... thats takes up valuable :beer: time

Bunnings may be evil but they are close and convenient ... I can't be naffed trying to source something from a rural supply shop when I have to travel 30-40 minutes to get there.

Is garden city plastics in garden city (logan??) and how much cheaper are they for say 10-20 14 litre pots??

EDIT: Closest supply shop I have found is Beenleigh ...35kms away (40 mins) .. I think I will stick with my Evil Bunnings :lol: I travel to Brisbane and back each working day so I don't really feel like going back on a sat or sunday again ... thats takes up valuable :beer: time
My "rural" shop isnt really rural, only 10 mins from where I live but there are a lot of bigger properties out that way. Maybe do a search online to see if you can get something closer. Definately not worth it if it costs you more in fuel.

Yeah this is the Gold Coast remember ... If I was looking for a golf buggy, plastic surgeon, beauty spa, clothes shop or to get my hair cut .. sure no worries ,.. anything like Garden stores/rural stores ...well good luck... had another search and there are a few landscape supply shops and garden centres within 20 mins but nothing like a rural supply store...and the garden centres here are woeful

On a more positive note another of the JR supplied range (a Scotch Bonnet TFM)has just popped up tonight :woohoo: hopefully I get some more tonight/tomorrow

Oh ok, never been to QLD. I was under the assumption that there would be heaps of good garden centres over east because that is where most of the nurseries/plant businesses are compared to here.
Oh well good luck in finding something.

Good news about your seedlings. I have had 8 out of 24 pop now since the 9th.

Anyone know were i can get some good fertilizer for my trinidad scorpion, i live in cairns far north QLD, im a first time grower so i have little/No idea what im doing

Are you growing in containers or in the ground? If containerizing i would suggest that you order some Chilli Focus from Wildfire if you want fancy smchanchy, if not just go with some fish emulsion and seasol. Could pay off in the long run if you had a worm farm too but i'm not sure if the sun up there would fry the little buggers!

Wildfire I have just been looking at Growth Technology products (ie Chilli Focus maker) and I am interested in the Nitrozyme Concentrate and Root Riot cubes, however I can't find any stockists in Australia of those products.

Would you happen to know if Growth Tech. sell them here at all?? (Only asking you as you sell the chilli focus and Growth Technology is based in WA)

I have emailed Growth Technology in WA but haven't heard anything yet

this is a pretty bad quality phone pic (sorry its just easier to upload to here with a phone rather then using my actual camera) of one my Aji Lemon's showing how hirsute it is (not the ideal view but it was the best I could do, it actually in person is much hairier appearing then this shows)

Is this normal for this variety??

IMG_20110717_111530.jpg

Where's this one near Logan? Hook me up!

And this Garden City Plastics place, roughly how much cheaper is it to buy pots from them?

Got my ends of town mixed up, Garden City Plastics is down in Logan - Elders is up in Caboulture. Garden City Plastics do 100L perlite too. There's Beenleigh Farm Supplies which is a CRT if you're looking for someone in the south.
Primac Elders (Caboulture) $24.00 for 100 litres of vermiculite is one example I can remember.

The last lot I got from Garden City Plastics was 5 seed trays and 350 50mm seedling pots for about $30.

Back