• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
No, they just have to be checked by Ag Dept Quarantine and kept in cold storage. We don't have a lot of the bugs and diseases over here that the east has got. Only place I cant send em to is Tassie.

Sure thing Grant, I will let you know when they are ready.
ah ok cos I sort of looked into before but Australia Post said that you couldn't send them. So I guess if they are going in bulk by refrigerated truck rather than being sent in small lots through the postal system it's fine.

Yeah Tassie have the strictest conditions for everything!

Marc, my friend, you are a madman! :onfire:

Looks like you certainly got this seasons work cut out for you--and then some! :lol: Best of luck!

Thanks gasi, I think I like work!!!

No worries mate take ya time and stay safe ;)

Will do, Thats what I have a train spotter for. They call em "whispering death", even though they are 2&1/2 kms long if the wind is from the wrong direction you dont hear em until they are right on you. Messy.
I have head down, arse up, checking the welds so I dont see em. Hence the spotter.

What the hell is this??

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_6497.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

At first I thought it was aerosol burn but a couple months later it appears to be spreading within the plant. Any ideas?

And this is just ridiculous....

IMG_6501.jpg

Usually I just let my plants flower regardless of how big they are, but in this case I'm seriously considering pinching........

powdery mildew ?? do those leaves stay wet and out of the sun for a long time?
:think:

It certainly looks like it very well could be! And after reading up on the symptoms, it sounds very likely too.

The plant is in a spot where it receives morning sun up until about lunch, then is heavily protected from the afternoon sun. And the only time the leaves get wet is when it rains (when I water, it's strictly around the base, not on the upper leaves where the mildew is occurring).

However, I'm guessing the temperatures here ATM are playing a big part in it.

"It occurs following warm days and cool nights often being seen in the fall and spring." (http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/diseases/powdery-mildew/powdery-mildew-outdoors.aspx)

We've had plenty of warm (humid) days/cool nights here recently. Hell, I'm still sleeping with my doona on... which is just nuts for this time of the year!

First off, i would pinch them...

Second off...is that plant tagged as Halloween???? lol :lol:
Yeah, I think a pinching is definitely in order! That is seriously the earliest I have ever had a plant bud. :crazy:

And yeah, it is tagged as Halloween. NuMex Halloween. ;)

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/numex_halloween/

I have had quite a few of my plants start budding up early as well gas. I have been pinching them all as they are simply too little to let them go. I wonder if it has been the climatic conditions around our parts especially as we have come out of cold winter (for us) into a humid/warm spring (like real seasons for once :lol: )

I was thinking it could possibly be some sort of burn especially since the end of the leaves are curled up? But don't know for sure. Is powdery mildew meant to rub off?
I grew the Halloween last season, Ill see if I can find a pic.
Apparently chillies start to bud after they reach 8 sets of leaves but yeah that looks very small, I would pinch too!

I have had quite a few of my plants start budding up early as well gas. I have been pinching them all as they are simply too little to let them go. I wonder if it has been the climatic conditions around our parts especially as we have come out of cold winter (for us) into a humid/warm spring (like real seasons for once :lol: )
Is that what's going on.... we're having real seasons ATM? :lol:

Yeah, mine always like to start early too but I've never seen one start that early!

I was thinking it could possibly be some sort of burn especially since the end of the leaves are curled up? But don't know for sure. Is powdery mildew meant to rub off?
Hmmm... you're right. I was looking at some pics of powdery mildew affected leaves and it's definitely separate from the leaf... not part of it as is in my case.

Burns was my first guess too (specifically aerosol burn--but that was some time ago and it appears to be spreading within the plant now). Any ideas what could cause burning like that?

I just hope it's not a virus or something.... :scared:

I had a similar look on a leaf that got wet during watering on a hot day and then got burnt. The water is then like a magnifying glass. However it looks like you have it everywhere? hmmm....
The only virus I could think of is one that is spread by aphids and the leaves start to distort like your little ones on the right Halloween. I forgot what it is called but it does make the leaves go white also. I'll see if I can look it up.

I had a similar look on a leaf that got wet during watering on a hot day and then got burnt. The water is then like a magnifying glass. However it looks like you have it everywhere? hmmm....
The only virus I could think of is one that is spread by aphids and the leaves start to distort like your little ones on the right Halloween. I forgot what it is called but it does make the leaves go white also. I'll see if I can look it up.
The affected plant is actually at my alternate growing location where I haven't actually ever seen aphids. There certainly are other pests there though (broad mite for one).

Like you, I have witnessed sun burnage from wet leaves in the past--although I'm told it's a myth now--but yeah, it was definitely different looking.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the little one next to the Halloween. It's a Purple Flash so the white is normal, but I don't know what's causing the distortion. I've had a few plants doing it lately and have just put it down to either pests (whiteflies, fungus gnat larvae in the soil, etc) or simply climate/environment. It doesn't *appear* to be doing any real damage to the plants just yet and is more unsightly than anything else.

Back