• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Hello Jayman, yep the pods are Fatalii's. Their from a plant that I bonsai'd over winter, the plants taken off this year from only a little stump and now its producing some decent sized peppers :)

DSCF2781-150x150.jpg

As everyone is comparing sizes thought I'd whip out the camera and show mine off.
IMG_0273.jpg

Not the biggest I know, but he's doing well considering still only in a cup.
IMG_0274.jpg

I had to trash two vietatos because they grew too tall and ran into the lights then got this scorching thing all over their leaves. I potted up the next biggest four and sent them to a friends house and they're doing well. What I've got left is going well but is creeping up to the lights too. One numex twilight is budding. Been feeding them on filtered water that has a pH of about 7 with a splash of seasol seaweed and a splash of powerfeed. Gave them some soil wetter twice too because the cups dried out too much, and some trace elements when I noticed some bubbling and yellowing which has now gone away mostly. I wait until at least one of them starts to wilt before watering again, usually every two or three days.
IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Wow Mega they are looking healthy . Good to see things starting to bounce back after the trials and tribulations of your season so far. Long may it continue.

Anyone know if Douglahs go from Green -> Red -> Brown? Otherwise, these might be Douglah nots... or the label is wrong.

I picked off an extremely tiny pod, it was red in colour, similar to a Red Savina.

IMG_20120219_173050.jpg

IMG_20120219_173108.jpg

Anyone know if Douglahs go from Green -> Red -> Brown? Otherwise, these might be Douglah nots... or the label is wrong.

I picked off an extremely tiny pod, it was red in colour, similar to a Red Savina.

IMG_20120219_173050.jpg

IMG_20120219_173108.jpg

The description of the Douglah on ChilePlants.com lists them as changing from green to brown. The last time I saw a brown variety change to red I didn't expect it to change to brown afterwards.

Edited 2013-01-10: Fix CCN link.

Mine don't look like the pods in the pictures and they go from light green to deep brown. There normally a bit wrinkly and have a fairly dull skin with no shine

Maybe you have the genetic issue that the seeds on pepperlover.com have where the red gene comes through. They are sold as red douglah offspring. Apparently from brown douglah parents??

The sharpie pen I use on the plastic labels I buy from Bunnings is useless, either it rubs off with water or heat. I can see the faint outline of Douglah, but it could also be the texta from last year as I re-use labels.

I definitely know I got Douglah seeds off Neil @ THSC this year. Knowing he generally grows them out in the open, they could be just about anything really, but they are the only Chinense from me that is currently loaded so I am happy from that respect.

The sharpie pen I use on the plastic labels I buy from Bunnings is useless, either it rubs off with water or heat. I can see the faint outline of Douglah, but it could also be the texta from last year as I re-use labels.

I definitely know I got Douglah seeds off Neil @ THSC this year. Knowing he generally grows them out in the open, they could be just about anything really, but they are the only Chinense from me that is currently loaded so I am happy from that respect.

I know what you mean ... I use 2-3 different pens over the course of the season all supposedly water and uv stable and they all fade off. Best bet would be to get yourself a proper Surveyors pen that they use for marking survey points .... hmmm I actually have one from work somewhere....

Do orange Habs grow with pointy tailed pods?, i purchased some advaced seedlings from bunnings earlier this year, i put them straight into the ground, and they are looking great.. i am hoping that there is some heat involved with the pods when they hit color, currently all green.. but plenty of pods..
this is the orange
190220121372.jpg

another orange
190220121376.jpg

red habanero..
190220121375.jpg
much rounder on the tail

Do orange Habs grow with pointy tailed pods?, i purchased some advaced seedlings from bunnings earlier this year, i put them straight into the ground, and they are looking great.. i am hoping that there is some heat involved with the pods when they hit color, currently all green.. but plenty of pods..
this is the orange
190220121372.jpg

another orange
190220121376.jpg

Do you have a photo of the entire plant? I've seen pointy Orange Habaneros but nothing like those two pods. A photo of the calyx (the cap) of the pod may help.

red habanero..
190220121375.jpg
much rounder on the tail

The Red Hab looks like it will turn out okay. I've had two plants that produced light green pods of that particular shape (one was labelled Habanero Brown).

I write on masking tape with a permanent marker and then stick it to the pot.

Did you grow more than one Douglah plant?

As a sparks by trade we all use Artline 70`s for marking our cables, i use the same permanent marker for my pots & have never had any problems with fade or rubbing off.

Mezo.

Wow Mega they are looking healthy . Good to see things starting to bounce back after the trials and tribulations of your season so far. Long may it continue.
Thanks Trippa
Did you consider just pruning them back to make them bushier?
I had a close look at them and it was more of a heat burn from the air temp rather than a contact burn from touching the globes. Not sure if this is possible and it might have been an infection but the scorching was on lower leaves and the plants really looked terrible.
I'm not in a position to nurse sick plants right now and just in case it was something infectious I threw them out.

Reckon I've got my germination and initial growth stages sussed out. Hardening them off and getting a good crop is not there yet.

Very disappointed. I only just got seedlings from my Butch T to only find out the moruga is now the hottest. These titles change more like everyday. Anyone is AUS growing moruga.

Very disappointed. I only just got seedlings from my Butch T to only find out the moruga is now the hottest. These titles change more like everyday. Anyone is AUS growing moruga.

I am sure there are plenty of people growing the Trinidad Scorpion Marouga Blend here in Australia. Although I am sure most peoples motivations are not scoville scale record breaking chilli's ....but instead flavour, pod shape, plant vigour, and heat as an all round package, (not to mention the addictive factor of having another variety to add to the grow area)

Back