• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Do you guys have any suggestions for a good soil mix or brand to use?

Yeah..... don't use anything that might be seen on the shelves at Bunnings! :lol:

Pretty much what Pablo said... we have nothing decent here (well, at least when it comes to the mainstream stuff). Bad quality ingredients, poorly composted, big chunks of wood and other materials, loaded with wetting agents/water crystals, loaded with this-and-that ferts.... you name it!

I've decided to try something different for this coming season and have been cooking up my own "premium" style peat/compost/perlite/vermiculite blends. Not really sure if I'm doing it right but I guess I will find out in due time. Learn by doing. :D

IMG_7697.jpg

The quality of some of the ingredients I've been using is debateable (i.e. the Searles stuff!) but surely I have to still be better off!

Hey Pablo, what kind of a texture does the Debco Organic Mix have? I've been curious for a while now but haven't been able to find a bag! Maybe a strange question, but reckon you could also take a photo of a small pile of the stuff or something?

Also while I'm here... is anybody a deficiency guru?

IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

New growth comes through OK but very quickly starts to turn like that too.

Yeah..... don't use anything that might be seen on the shelves at Bunnings! :lol:

Pretty much what Pablo said... we have nothing decent here (well, at least when it comes to the mainstream stuff). Bad quality ingredients, poorly composted, big chunks of wood and other materials, loaded with wetting agents/water crystals, loaded with this-and-that ferts.... you name it!

I've decided to try something different for this coming season and have been cooking up my own "premium" style peat/compost/perlite/vermiculite blends. Not really sure if I'm doing it right but I guess I will find out in due time. Learn by doing. :D

IMG_7697.jpg

The quality of some of the ingredients I've been using is debateable (i.e. the Searles stuff!) but surely I have to still be better off!

Hey Pablo, what kind of a texture does the Debco Organic Mix have? I've been curious for a while now but haven't been able to find a bag! Maybe a strange question, but reckon you could also take a photo of a small pile of the stuff or something?

I'll add avoid any potting mix that has been stored at a shore where it has been exposed to the elements. One good downpour of rain can ruin all of the bags of potting mix.

I'll try to track down some of the Debco Seed Raising mix at some point. May as well stick to what worked for the C. Chinense varieties here.

IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

Magnesium is one that comes to mind when I see interveinal yellowing on mature leaves but not new and developing leaves.

Has there been leaf shedding?

I suspect at first magnesium too Gasi.
But I'm an amateur at this. Could be many reasons from "normal part of life", to 'overwatering', to a nutrient deficiency. There's about 3-4 nutrients that cause interveinal chlorosis, and mag is the most mobile (it's semi mobile), one so would affect older leaves before younger leaves.

Depends on your ferts, if they are low on mag or don't list any of it, that's the most likely thing. Some organic ferts don't have any magnesium, and some synthetic ferts for green vege plant growth don't either. So I don't straight out say it needs mag unless you've never given it any. If tyou have given them a fert with mag in it, then it's something else (water, pH etc) My massive 6ft tall amarillo sometimes gets interveinal chlorosis but it's got everything, so I just put it down to "normal part of life".

As far as debco organic, it was the best I used. Most potting mixes have a heap of sand. If you took the sand out and replaced it with compost, that's debco organic mix.
I used a lot of organic ferts last year, didn't work with debco potmate or baileys or any other brand, they just went mouldy and needed more ferts after the included ones ran out in 3 months so waste of time using anything organic in those mixes, even using seasol or go go juice. Everything in the organic mix of course did better, and never needed any extra ferts.

I've used the debco SRM before and you get a lot of variation. Some pots are full of larger particles like woodchips and others are sandy but it works well enough. Other factors such as moisture and heat, and presoaking the seeds are more important in my opinion. Anything sold as seed raising mix should work if you get the humidity and temperature stabilised.

Whatever works for you is best for you I suppose. I don't have nearly as much trouble germinating seeds as growing them to maturity.

I am trying 50/50 coco peat and perlite at the moment.

I've used the debco SRM before and you get a lot of variation. Some pots are full of larger particles like woodchips and others are sandy but it works well enough. Other factors such as moisture and heat, and presoaking the seeds are more important in my opinion. Anything sold as seed raising mix should work if you get the humidity and temperature stabilised.

Whatever works for you is best for you I suppose. I don't have nearly as much trouble germinating seeds as growing them to maturity.

I am trying 50/50 coco peat and perlite at the moment.

The supply of it I had here wasn't that variable. It could be the mix in WA is made by a different contractor locally.

Hey Gassy, my plants are all doing that. I have found a simple solution.

Ignore them and blame the cold weather! :cheers:

Yeah..... don't use anything that might be seen on the shelves at Bunnings! :lol:I found this. Pretty useful.
Plant Nutrient Deficiency Symptoms

Macronutrients

Calcium (Ca)
Symptoms: New leaves are distorted or hook shaped. The growing tip may die. Contributes to blossom end rot in tomatoes, tip burn of cabbage and brown/black heart of escarole & celery.
Sources: Any compound containing the word 'calcium'. Also gypsum.
Notes: Not often a deficiency problem and too much will inhibit other nutrients.

Nitrogen (N)
Symptoms: Older leaves, generally at the bottom of the plant, will yellow. Remaining foliage is often light green. Stems may also yellow and may become spindly. Growth slows.
Sources: Any compound containing the words: 'nitrate', 'ammonium' or 'urea'. Also manure.
Notes: Many forms of nitrogen are water soluble and wash away.

Magnesium (Mg)
Symptoms: Slow growth and leaves turn pale yellow, sometimes just on the outer edges. New growth may be yellow with dark spots.
Sources: Compounds containing the word 'magnesium', such as Epson Salts.

Phosphorus (P)
Symptoms: Small leaves that may take on a reddish-purple tint. Leaf tips can look burnt and older leaves become almost black. Reduced fruit or seed production.
Sources: Compounds containing the words 'phosphate' or 'bone'. Also greensand.
Notes: Very dependent on pH range.

Potassium (K)
Symptoms: Older leaves may look scorched around the edges and/or wilted. Interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the leaf veins) develops.
Sources: Compounds containing the words 'potassium' or 'potash'.

Sulfur (S)
Symptoms: New growth turns pale yellow, older growth stays green. Stunts growth.
Sources: Compounds containing the word 'sulfate'.
Notes: More prevalent in dry weather.

Micronutrients

Boron (B)
Symptoms: Poor stem and root growth. Terminal (end) buds may die. Witches brooms sometimes form.
Sources: Compounds containing the words 'borax' or 'borate'.

Copper (Cu)
Symptoms: Stunted growth. Leaves can become limp, curl, or drop. Seed stalks also become limp and bend over.
Sources: Compounds containing the words 'copper', 'cupric' or 'cuprous'.

Manganese (Mn)
Symptoms: Growth slows. Younger leaves turn pale yellow, often starting between veins. May develop dark or dead spots. Leaves, shoots and fruit diminished in size. Failure to bloom.
Sources: Compounds containing the words 'manganese' or 'manganous'

Molybdenum (Mo)
Symptoms: Older leaves yellow, remaining foliage turns light green. Leaves can become narrow and distorted.
Sources: Compounds containing the words 'molybdate' or 'molybdic'.
Notes: Sometimes confused with nitrogen deficiency.

Zinc (Zn)
Symptoms: Yellowing between veins of new growth. Terminal (end) leaves may form a rosette.
Sources: Compounds containing the word 'zinc'.
Notes: Can become limited in higher pH.

IMG_7697.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

A quick search turned up this site
http://ag.arizona.ed...damage/key.html

the relevent part is
C. Interveinal chlorosis. Interveinal chlorosis first appears on oldest leaves.​

1. Older leaves chlorotic, usually necrotic in late stages. Chlorosis along leaf margins extending between veins produces a "Christmas tree" pattern. Veins normal green. Leaf margins may curl downward or upward with puckering effect. Necrosis may suddenly occur between veins. Potassium or calcium excess can inhibit uptake of magnesium...magnesium deficiency

So just giving them more magnesium might not fix it if the potassium or calcium is in excess. Although if the plants in the ground not sure what you can do about it :P Maybe regular foliar feeds of magnesium will help.

When I get plants in soil getting funky colours I use all the trace elements. If you are sure its not from too much or too little NPK then give em a dose of trace elements and cover all the bases.

Hi Mega.
I really want to try that jalapeno sauce with coriander you posted earlier. Just got to wait for my jalapenos, cumin and coriander to grow lol
Your new place looks great too!

Hi Mega.
I really want to try that jalapeno sauce with coriander you posted earlier. Just got to wait for my jalapenos, cumin and coriander to grow lol
Your new place looks great too!
I have about 50 jalapeno seedlings im going to just shove in the garden bed and leave. When this cold weather stops that is... was 1C last night! Hopefully they'll give me a massive harvest and I'll refine the recipe a bit, the sauce wasn't hot enough. What's your plan for this season you goin all out? sorry if u've been posting all your plans but haven't had much time for online stuff lately :P

I have about 50 jalapeno seedlings im going to just shove in the garden bed and leave. When this cold weather stops that is... was 1C last night! Hopefully they'll give me a massive harvest and I'll refine the recipe a bit, the sauce wasn't hot enough. What's your plan for this season you goin all out? sorry if u've been posting all your plans but haven't had much time for online stuff lately :P
Not going all out, just germinating some and keeping in small pots for now in the name of experimenting/passing the time. If they are healthy but still in small pots I can take them with me when I move. If they aren't, well it's just a learning experience that passed the time I guess. Most of what i germinated is my own saved seeds, to test for crosses and viability I guess.
Keeping options open, and I have a fair few older plants I kept alive anyway.

191 pages... how? why? :shocked:
Blabberers, that's how
Blame Nova. ;)

It's become a Winter to Summer to Winter to Summer thread.

I'm waiting to see what plants pull through this winter.
Yeah blame Nova!
I'm nursing older plants too, most survived and I'll give them away when I move anyway. But keeping them going is just as interesting and raising new ones with this weather.

Blame Nova. ;)

It's become a Winter to Summer to Winter to Summer thread.

I'm waiting to see what plants pull through this winter.

And because our season is the opposite to the northern hemisphere, different climate, local pests etc etc.

And because its Nova`s fault anyhow. LoL

Mezo.

Today I discovered that all the weeds that had recently sprung up in all the places I'm planning to put my chillies this season were INFESTED with aphids. :(

I pulled them all up and threw them in the bin. :twisted: Then I went around and sprayed pyrethrin on everything. No chilli plants affected yet but thats only because they are all still inside.

Basically this place I've just moved into, which has a perfect garden in every other way for growing chillies... is an aphid house party!!!!! :shocked:

From what I remember about an aphids lifecycle they hatch and suck on the leaves until they are big enough to migrate to a new plant where they make more baby ahpids and it snowballs from there. I have seen some ants around but they aren't where the aphids were, I didn't see any farming behaviour from them. The aphids were real big suckers too. They weren't all the tiny green ones, but the mostly larger darker ones with legs.

Mowed the lawn a few days ago and a few tiny weeds have sprouted up amoungst the grass. Every single weed of this one particular type had aphids under the leaves... even if it was a tiny little sprout that would have to be only a couple of days old, and it was well away from any other infected plant. So they must be everywhere outside, and trawling the lawn to find the new little weeds they like. They seem to ignore most types of weeds but really love this one type.

The house is on a sharp corner and I only have one neighbour, who has a garden which looks a bit neglected. I'm hoping they aren't coming from there because even if I clear out all the weeds and aphid sites on my property.... as soon as I put my chillies plants out they will come over and get into them. I really hope this season doesn't turn into a tale of buying millions of ladybirds or endless chemical warfare. :pray:

edit: It must be messing with my head cos I went and shaved my head for no apparent reason.

Damn, moo, that sucks!

I'm gonna give companion planting a burl this season. I'm not expecting miracles or anything, but if it helps at all, I'll be over the moon. Sick and f'in tired of pests.

Also look at getting some good levels of Silica into your soil. It will strengthen plant cell walls and apparently deter sucking pests by making it harder for them to get their grubby mouths into the goodness of the leaf. (Send them bastages back to the neighbour who couldn't give a ffff!)

I dunno... you might be lucky too. I always get aphids here in Winter, and believe it or not, they generally ignore my chillies and stick to certain types of weeds (one in particular, as is in your case too). Come Spring/Summer they usually disappear except for the odd small congregation.

Back