• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Word a Day

From Anu Garg's Word a Day...

gormandizer
PRONUNCIATION:
(GOR-man-dyz-er)

MEANING:
noun: A greedy person.

ETYMOLOGY:
From French gourmandise (gluttony). Both a gourmand and a gourmet enjoy good food, but a gourmand is one who eats to excess while a gourmet is considered a connoisseur of good food.

USAGE:
"Was his humble name to be bandied in men's mouths, as the gormandizer of the resources of the poor, as of one who had filched from the charity of other ages wealth which had been intended to relieve the old and the infirm."
Anthony Trollope; The Warden; 1855.

Sorry if it is blatently obvious but what is this thread about? Are you going to add a word a day or is everyone welcome to?
I like the word Gormindizor- i also would not want one as a friend although i have known a few.
Greed sucks.

Today's word is a good one. One that we should all use because it's sounds both intellegent, is hardly used, and is funny sounding when you speak it:
BESMIRCH
–verb (used with object) 1. to soil; tarnish; discolor.
2. to detract from the honor or luster of: to besmirch someone's good name.
[Origin: 1590–1600; be- + smirch]

Yeah I like legs, that's a good one SM.

Legs
The narrow streams of swirled wine or spirits that run slowly down along the inside of a glass, often believed to indicate that the liquid is full-bodied.

Legs
The ability to last or sustain success, especially by appealing to an audience: a blockbuster movie that has legs.

On (one's) last legs
At the end of one's strength or resources; ready to collapse, fail, or die.

Legs
Things that ladies have and men often like.

OK I made up the last one.

Ummm...last time I looked men have legs too!

Oh yeah, but they are hairy and sweaty and not nearly so attractive, I get your point!;)

word for today:

Implacable - Not placable; not to be appeased; incapable of being pacified; inexorable; as, an implacable foe. So basically, Can't be beaten....

I sometime call my partner implacable, as she is a force that is not always capable of being pacified......:rolleyes:

Sickmont said:
A lot of english word come from German....swimming, for instance is one

Schadenfreude is another.... ;)

Not planning on doing a word a day (sign up to the AWAD mailing list - its great)

But this one struck me as being particularly relevant to so much discussion on this board.

And one of my favorites:

ca·pri·cious
(kə-prĭsh'əs, -prē'shəs)
adj. - Characterized by or subject to whim; impulsive and unpredictable.

whiskey
1715, from Gaelic uisge beatha "whisky," lit. "water of life," from O.Ir. uisce "water" + bethu "life." The Gaelic is probably a loan-translation of M.L. aqua vitae, which had been applied to intoxicating drinks since early 14c. (cf. Fr. eau de vie "brandy"). Other early spellings in Eng. include usquebea (1706) and iskie bae (1583). Distinction between Scotch whisky and Irish and American whiskey is a 19c. innovation. Whisky sour is recorded from 1889.

talas said:
whiskey
1715, from Gaelic uisge beatha "whisky," lit. "water of life," from O.Ir. uisce "water" + bethu "life." The Gaelic is probably a loan-translation of M.L. aqua vitae, which had been applied to intoxicating drinks since early 14c. (cf. Fr. eau de vie "brandy"). Other early spellings in Eng. include usquebea (1706) and iskie bae (1583). Distinction between Scotch whisky and Irish and American whiskey is a 19c. innovation. Whisky sour is recorded from 1889.

Now i like that word........

Thanks for the back round on one of my favorite words talas.
:)

ok, fine. I'll do one close to my heart, er, liver

gin (jĭn)
n. A strong colorless alcoholic beverage made by distilling or redistilling rye or other grain spirits and adding juniper berries or aromatics such as anise, caraway seeds, or angelica root as flavoring.

[Alteration of geneva, from Dutch jenever, from Middle Dutch geniver, juniper, from Old French geneivre, from Vulgar Latin *iiniperus, from Latin iūniperus.]

Yeah I like hairy legs, only on a man of course, not that I like smooth legs on a woman, I just mean myself, oh you know what I mean. I know some people who ride bikes shave their legs. Hey SM, please tell me you don't?

Back