Would a fisherman who fish for a living, like fish? or is that too fishy? fish!

Good thread!

Bluefin tuna- sashimi, seared
Yellowfin tuna- sashimi, seared
Albacore tuna- sashimi, grilled, smoked, or tacos
Yellowtail- sashimi, smoked
Mako shark - grilled, tacos (thresher shark too)
Barracuda- ceviche
Dorado- grilled, tacos
Halibut- grilled (only fish that has ever bit me)
Salmon- nova lox, smoked (only one I've never caught)
Bonito- lobster bait, smoked- (when I didn't catch anything else that day)
Wahoo- tacos, never caught one of those either, out of my range...
Crawfish- boiled and seasoned- I know, not a fish...
Bluegill/Sunfish- fried in Shore Lunch mix, remember eating them as a kid on the Mississippi River. Along with catfish, frogs, the occasional turtle...

Off topic, but my buddy who really doesn't even fish took his 10 year old kid out on a friend's charter and the kid came back with 200 pounds of Humboldt squid. Was pretty happy for him. Been eating a lot of panko fried squid on sourdough sandos over the past few days.

Omri, yeah, grouper is a really tasty white fish, deep fried grouper fingers are the best. The fish holds together well to make the fingers and they're damn tasty. It's perfect for fish 'n chips!

thehotpepper.com said:
Omri, yeah, grouper is a really tasty white fish, deep fried grouper fingers are the best. The fish holds together well to make the fingers and they're damn tasty. It's perfect for fish 'n chips!
LOL, I don't think we're talking about the same grouper... the white grouper is like what, $50 a kilo? I won't be making fingers...
Other groupers, sure why not... they taste pretty good as well.

Omri said:
LOL, I don't think we're talking about the same grouper... the white grouper is like what, $50 a kilo? I won't be making fingers...
Other groupers, sure why not... they taste pretty good as well.
Correct, I was talking about Black Grouper. Delicious! Dense, sweet flesh, and their diet is shellfish so you get those subtle flavors.

You should try " Hollandse Nieuwe" once... most disgusting thing in the world !

My favorites (not necessarily in that order) :

1: Mackerel
2: Tuna
3: Salmon
4: Eel
5: Talapia

1. Fried Mullet
2. Fried Crappie
3. Fried Catfish
4. Fried Fresh Caught Redfish Sandwiches
5. Fried Fresh Caught King Mackeral Sandwiches

Thanks TB, glad someone mentioned walleye and crappie...don't get to experiment much with the others but Minnesota has some mighty good walleyes! It doesn't get any better than fresh caught wallies.

pepperfever said:
Thanks TB, glad someone mentioned walleye and crappie...don't get to experiment much with the others but Minnesota has some mighty good walleyes! It doesn't get any better than fresh caught wallies.

I know every Sven and Ollie calls in sick in Minnesota on opening day for walleye dontcha' know! Oophta!!

texas blues said:
I know every Sven and Ollie calls in sick in Minnesota on opening day for walleye dontcha' know! Oophta!!
-

Lol-totally... Have some fam that way- I think they say "Uff da". It's a Norwegian thang I think/as I understand it...

EXAMPLE- "uff da! Brett Favre threw an interception!"

I dont know that I have ever tried fish I dont like- except Halibut. But I am willing to reserve judgenment, because what I was served was long frozen and over-cooked. I have taken to avoiding fish that are good at storing mercury in their bodies, and tuna are on the top of that list. I do not think I ever had fish that had been out of the water any longer than an hour till I moved to the midwest. now, alas, fresh fish is a fading memory. But I still like what I can get. Pickled herring and smoked salmon are therefore among my favorites, I think-where I am they are the most flavorful- being properly preserved!

Wahoo
blackened grouper
Yellowfin Tuna- blackened....RARE
Dolphin- too many ways to think of
pompano (best fried fish Ive had)
toadfish(northern puffer...yes the ones that blow up into a spiny ball)

Striper- many ways

You can pretty much fry anything else and make it edible.

Bluefin tuna, Yellowfin tuna, or Swordfish would be my favorite.

After that comes everything else, but probably halilbut or Mahi Mahi in my second tier.

You people are killing me, I have to drive 70 miles just to get a little bit of frozen salmon, at best at the Walmart they have frozen tilapia and farmed raised catfish, Boy I miss living on the west coast where I could catch my own or go to the fish market and get anything that I felt like. I especially miss the huge jumbo prawns and live Crab. I'd kill for some fresh mackerel to grill you can't get it where I'm at and at best I would have to have it shipped to me, right now all the fish and shell fish are at the highest price ever due to the terrible oil spill in the gulf, who knows when prices will go down. What I wouldn't do for some Fresh yellowtail tuna or some Shark.
George W.

I'm lucky to be able to fish the lagoon... I love Redfish, on the half shell is best. Flounder is to die for, and i guess i must say Pompano is the best in my book. I'ts just that time for them, got a few last weekend and gonna see if I can get a few more this weekend... ain't nuttin mo betta.

CATFISH AND CRAWDADS-BOONDOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmm...
Talapia
Orange Roughy
White Bass

Cant wait to go out fishing. That is what summer is all about. Fishing and growing peppers :)

Back