• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wtf, Two Days to Dry Peppers???

I got a new dehydrator, Nesco FD-61 4 tray model that has 500 horsepower (wattage;)) under the hood. Looks to be a fine unit.

Loaded up the trays with Naga's, turned the juice up to 135 and let her rip. Now mind you, this was this past Thursday evening around 8pm and the peppers are still not dry. Getting close now, but not all the way there.

I didn't imagine that it would take 2 days. So...either the dehydrator sucks or the fact that the humidity in Philly has probably been around 80% avg over the past two days is holding the show up. I would hate to think that it is the dehyrator...

For those experienced, does excessive humidity significantly slow drying times?

PeteyPepper said:
For those experienced, does excessive humidity significantly slow drying times?

Short answer, yes!

If your dehydrator is in an air conditioned room the dehydration will take less time and slicing the pods in half lengthwise will shorten drying time as well.

Here in alabama the humidity is high most of the time, and it ususally takes 3 days to dry a full load in my five level dehydrator... and like millworkman said, cutting the pods in half will help ...

apple pie

Silver Surfer: my dehydrator is just a cheap one from harbor freight... and I pack it crammed full with peppers,it's slow but it works... I've got a little over 200 plants this season so it's going to be running for a while...

just ate my first red 7 pot with lunch yesterday,I chopped the whole pepper up fine and put it in my potatoes, and although it wasn't as hot as I thought it would be, it was pretty dang seriously warm, yeeee ha! sweat poured off of me... my stomach was a bit uncomfortable for a while afterward...

apple pie

DOH! myself.

I thought "what kind of dehydrator do you have, apple pie?" was a random off the wall joke.

Like, there was an apple pie brand dehydrator..........

Leave out the comma SS.;)

NOT the second best post ever. Sorry!

Lol.

I pictured somebody trying the dehydrate peppers in an actual apple pie.

"WTF? TWO DAYS AND THESE ARE STILL NOT DRY! I made this pie from scratch too!with fresh picked apples!";)

Mine have been taking up to 16 hours in the humidity. And they were cut or sliced. Same FD-61. I pull out the dry ones along the way, so as the trays get less crowded that probably speeds things up. A little leathery is OK I think, but not soft.

It takes me 2-3 days depending on the humidity. It affects me a lot because I have my dehydrator in my garage so there is no air conditioning to help things along. I also like mine really dry so they are easier to grind up. But yea, it takes longer than I thought too.

I use a nesco & 2 days is not unnormal, just depends on the ammount of trays or packed full, type of chiles, cut open or not, run non-stop or unplug while not home or sleeping.
anyways if it takes 2 days to dry some chile pods, is not the end of the world, dont loose any sleep over it!

Thanks for all of the advice and words of encouragement.

I think that my dehydrator is a fine unit after all. My spasmodic enthusiasm to get dried peppers got the best of me.

My wife said that the Nagas smelled like crap when I was drying them but I didn't think that they smelled too bad. Anyway, they have an awesome color and smell when dry,,,

Kinda look like Sugar Smacks if you ask me (I swear they glisten!!!)

IMG_3897.jpg

An apple pie dehydrator...man, I couldn't stop laughing. Very funny!

Back