• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yaargh's 5gal DWC grow log

Alright, here's my go at growing a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga and a 7pod SR in 5gal DWC "bubbler" buckets. I started the seeds in rockwool and transplanted into 5gal buckets with leftover STG filler. I am using foxfarm "growbig" as a growth nutrient and will switch to the flowering nutrient whenever. The plants are under a 250w HPS lamp.

I recently topped the plants out of curiosity and will upgrade to a darkroom for higher lamp placement and to cut down the glow from the lamp on my tv...

Here is where they are at as of now.
_MG_3227.JPG

is that the secret jardin tent?

also it looks like your leaves are somewhat curled, is that typical of those plants?

Yeah, it's a Jardin DR120.

Yeah the leaves are curled a bit. Each Chinense I've grown, especially the Chocolate Habanero, leaves have curled on me. I haven't looked up as to why, I haven't noticed any detrimental effects either. I'm sure there is an easy fix.

Latest update. The tops are starting to shoot up. The plant on the left is gaining a bit of height over the one on the right.
_MG_3291.JPG

They are probably curling because they are getting too much light, How long do you have it on? It's only slight though and if they still make firey chilies then its all good :onfire:

They are probably curling because they are getting too much light, How long do you have it on? It's only slight though and if they still make firey chilies then its all good :onfire:

I only keep the lights on 12/12. I'm not really concerned with the curling. The only leaves that curled considerably are the oldest and largest leaves.

my tabasco leaves have curl or should i say roll problems,
i had some root rot due to a problem with my aero system and the rolling got alot worse. is it possible that they curl when the plants cannot transpire fast enough to keep up with the heat of the lamp? i now have a 5gallon bucket full of pure white hairy roots, and the problem is all but gone now.

my tabasco leaves have curl or should i say roll problems,
i had some root rot due to a problem with my aero system and the rolling got alot worse. is it possible that they curl when the plants cannot transpire fast enough to keep up with the heat of the lamp? i now have a 5gallon bucket full of pure white hairy roots, and the problem is all but gone now.

My roots are pretty white and hairy as well.

'Nother Update

The hydro plants are about 2 feet tall and putting out flower buds. I've decided to switch to a bloom nutrient as of now.
For the potting mix plants, the ABE is producing pods while the Jalamundo is filling out and setting out flower pods.
_MG_3293.JPG

Lookin good! Which one is on the left? It's going nuts! :dance:

I lost the labels a while ago, I don't know which is which. Both hydro are about the same size though.

The African Birdseye has finally produced a single ripe pod. The jalamundo on the other hand has dropped the majority of it's flowers. It's relatively short so dropping flowers and growing some more is not a huge deal.

Alright! My Jalamundo has started putting on fruit. Still, no fruit on either hydro plant. The hydro plants are the largest of all the plants I've grown so far and nearly fill the horizontal space in the 4x4 grow tent.

Here's a pic of the Jalamundo's. I've counted four fruit, hoping for more soon.
_MG_3300.JPG

Picture update. So anxious, there are so many flower pods on the flower pods. The Jalamundo is doing well, another two peppers are setting. Good stuff.

_MG_3304.JPG

Oh man, still no peppers on the hydro plants. They're loaded with flowers, guess they aren't ready just yet. Sigh.

Good note, my African Birdseye has finally put out enough ripe pods for me to cook up my own Peri-Peri sauce. It'll be the first sauce I'll make so I'll probably follow the Nando's restaurant recipe. My Jalamundo has put on a few more pods, none have grown humongous as of yet, holding out for those fabled super-sized pods.

I'm not going to post a picture of just starting to develop pods but I've spotted a few on my hydro plants. So, with that, it's been a worthwhile endeavor these past few months. I cannot wait to see these plants with a bunch of awesome pods.

My Jalamundo had set about 10 fruit. It's not a large plant, I hope it doesn't over burden itself. I can always prop it up I suppose. Today's a day off so I'll be picking a few more ripe pods from the African Birdseye for my first peri peri sauce attempt.

I'll take a picture later, as I am at work, but I am pretty sure I spotted some signs of corking on my more mature jalamundo pods. While the picture at the CPI site showed that they cork I am hoping to aviod excessive corking so I only water when I spot limp leaves (as excessive watering is what I accept is the cause).

These pods are destined to be stuffed and wrapped in thick cut bacon. Cannot wait...

Back