• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yaargh's 5gal DWC grow log

Alright, here's my go at growing a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga and a 7pod SR in 5gal DWC "bubbler" buckets. I started the seeds in rockwool and transplanted into 5gal buckets with leftover STG filler. I am using foxfarm "growbig" as a growth nutrient and will switch to the flowering nutrient whenever. The plants are under a 250w HPS lamp.

I recently topped the plants out of curiosity and will upgrade to a darkroom for higher lamp placement and to cut down the glow from the lamp on my tv...

Here is where they are at as of now.
_MG_3227.JPG

:woohoo: NICE! Now you should post a video of you eating it whole! DO IT! DO IT! :mouthonfire:

Actually, I've got a few work friends that are certain they can handle any pepper. I'm conflicted as to even consider offering them a pod seeing as how I've tried out Silver Surfer's super hots. But as pods ripen I'll be dehydrating them for powders.

Wow! A ripening pod is a sight for sore eyes this time of year!! Very nice work!
Kevin

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped. These are the first super hots that I've grown so really exciting. I cannot wait until I have yard so I can actually produce enough fresh pods for sauces.

Love this log, have been watching since you started since I'm trying DWC too. Have you dried peppers for powders before? If not you may be surprised at how many pods you need to get a decent amount of powder.

Thanks for the compliment. As far as apartment living, DWC seems to be the simplest method for growing hydroponics in regards to space allotment.

The pods my plants produced this past summer were dehydrated for powder. My one chocolate hab plant produced enough powder to fill 3/4 of one of those regular sized spice shakers. I had to combine the red carribean (was supposed to be a TS) like pods, the orange hab (was supposed to be a "golden hab") and a plant with pendant shaped pods (was supposed to be a bhut jolokia) to fill a same sized shaker 1/2 way.

The chocolate hab plant was very productive, however, only a little moreso than the other plants. Unlike the chocolate hab plant, they suffered from stink bug infestation and many pods were aesthetically damaged.

Here's another update. The a few of the Trinidad Scorpion Morouga pods are now completely orange, they're supposed to be a dark red when ripe but I haven't noticed any further signs of ripening. Hmm..

_MG_3355.JPG

Four days later still orange, not a hint of further ripening. Yeah yeah, I'm being patient. Just kinda concerned, I hope the seeds weren't crossed cause I have yet to have a pepper hotter than a normal Habanero grow true. Sigh..

Four days later still orange, not a hint of further ripening. Yeah yeah, I'm being patient. Just kinda concerned, I hope the seeds weren't crossed cause I have yet to have a pepper hotter than a normal Habanero grow true. Sigh..

Since you have more than one, I think you should go ahead and taste one while orange. Whether the seeds were crossed or not, they are beautiful plants and pods and they look like they will be very hot.

Thanks.

They did get darker, but putting it next to a swatch of red they did not match. Still, if I had waited another day or two I'm pretty sure they'd have put to rest my worries. The pods might ripen a bit further now while in a paper bag in the fridge. I've got a few more pods growing so we'll see.

Here's the inside of these recent pods. Pretty oily, guess I'll save the seeds. I'll preserve the pods by dehydrating them and make powder once I have a decent amount saved up.

_MG_3368.JPG

It took a long time but 1 of the 2 7pod-SR pods has started to ripen. I have tons of flowers being set, a few look promising so I hope more will set fruit.

I'll post a picture after work. Can't wait to taste it. I finally ate one of the TS Morougas, well 1/2 of a dehydrated one out of impulse. I enjoyed the taste (very hab'ish) for about 3-5 minutes before I started to cry and search for a dairy product. It was very brutal, I'll stick to just a pinch when I add powder to a meal.

such a thing of beauty !! Bot sure how I missed this until now. Everytime I see a hydro log I am more and more into it. Surprised you grew these under just a 250W!

Nice vid, your plants look exceptional! Whatever your eyeball system is it works :dance:

(.de is Germany)

Thanks, first time I ever posted something on YouTube or made a video for that matter. Maybe next time I'll make a script so I don't go absent minded.

As far as eye-balling the nutrients, a few drops of growth/flowering nutrient per 1gal jug. However, if a plant gets yellow I add a drop or two of cal-mag as an additive. That's basically it. If I had the R.O. option I think I would include the micro-organism type of additives for root care, etc.

Started to germinate a few more seeds. I went ahead and germinated (broke out of the seed case) the following:

Papa Joe's Market Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Chris) 1 of 2
Bahamas Goat Pepper (Chris) 1 of 2
Fatalii (THSC) 1of 2
Bhut Jolokia (CPI) 2 of 3
Original Yellow 7pot (PepperLover) 2 of 3

So far, only 1 of the Original Yellow 7pot from PepperLover has dropped it's cap.
_MG_3438.JPG

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these since I'll be moving to NM in August. To be honest I was bored and it's fun to germinate. I figure I'll keep them cut back in smaller pots for the move. Maybe I'll let them grow and then take cutting for the move? Hopefully, the community garden plot on campus will be available/come through. Worst case, I'll stealth plant them or see if I can pot them up do the balcony thing again, maybe a roof?.

Quick update on the new germination project. I'll update with a picture later but as of now each variety has at least one seedling free of their caps.

I'm quite excited that these varieties have germinated, seeing how in the past I grew a Bhut Jolokia to production only to find it was not a Bhut at all and had no luck germinating Fatalii seeds previously.

I do feel a little unsettled with the CPI Bhut Jolokia seeing as how I just recently grew their "Jalamundo" to production and ended up with shorter than average jalapenos with no heat. Next time I'll try the Billy Biker Jalapeno.

Say it ain't so ARRGH! I've got Jalmundos going and I was looking forward to big, tasty poppers.....

I hope you figure out how to keep all these.....such a shame to waste them.

Back