• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yaargh's 5gal DWC grow log

Alright, here's my go at growing a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga and a 7pod SR in 5gal DWC "bubbler" buckets. I started the seeds in rockwool and transplanted into 5gal buckets with leftover STG filler. I am using foxfarm "growbig" as a growth nutrient and will switch to the flowering nutrient whenever. The plants are under a 250w HPS lamp.

I recently topped the plants out of curiosity and will upgrade to a darkroom for higher lamp placement and to cut down the glow from the lamp on my tv...

Here is where they are at as of now.
_MG_3227.JPG

Say it ain't so ARRGH! I've got Jalmundos going and I was looking forward to big, tasty poppers.....

I hope you figure out how to keep all these.....such a shame to waste them.

Who knows, I may have gotten the one crossed seed out of the packet. Usually from what I've read here CPI is pretty damn decent on what they send out.

I'll put them in smaller pots when the time comes and either take them with me or take cuttings and clone them. I plan on cloning my TSM and 7pot-SR. Now what I do with them at grad school, I don't know.

Four days later still orange, not a hint of further ripening. Yeah yeah, I'm being patient. Just kinda concerned, I hope the seeds weren't crossed cause I have yet to have a pepper hotter than a normal Habanero grow true. Sigh..
I grew a plant from a pepper I considered fairly hot. I waited til it turned red but maybe I didn't wait long enough because the pepper didn't taste as hot as the parent pepper it was grown from. I would maybe leave a couple on the plant to let them further ripen? Can't hurt.

I grew a plant from a pepper I considered fairly hot. I waited til it turned red but maybe I didn't wait long enough because the pepper didn't taste as hot as the parent pepper it was grown from. I would maybe leave a couple on the plant to let them further ripen? Can't hurt.

I picked the TSM pods early. Afterwards I stuck them in a paper bag and a day later they were as dark red as they're supposed to be. Aaand they were extremely hot as expected.

With my current pods growing I am leaving them on until they reach that deep red color.

As for the Jalamundo not having any heat, those pods I left on until fully ripe. There was no heat nor did they grow to "mundo" proportions as advertised. I was thinking the first set of pods might have been stunted and let another set of pods grow and received the same results.

I'm pretty certain that particular seed which I germinated was not from a stable enough plant or was subject to crossing. But, you know, I don't know all that much considering my level of experience.

Good news. Looks like New Mexico State University does indeed have personal garden plots available for students. Unfortunately, I need to be there in person to reserve a lot. It's not really a big deal. I'll just have to wait until next Spring to grow peppers in the ground. In the mean time, I think I'll try my hand at growing leafy greens like spinach, dino kale, red russian kale and some mustards for the fall/winter.

I can still keep the plants/seedlings I have now in the graduate student apartment, they just won't do much unless there is room for my dark room/grow tent. I think I'll also move from 5 gal hydro back to 5gal compost/coir mix for indoor growing.

I'd like to try my hand at brewing compost tea and utilizing chlorine free water as well for all future plants.

I have given out two TSM pods to two different co-workers. I ate one myself, still have never gotten that endorphine release, and ended up sweating and much like the Douglah I couldn't stand up. The first co-worker did not listen to my instructions and ate it while walking to his car after work. After 5 mins he hobbled to the closest bathroom and didn't leave for home for another hour. Today I gave out another pod, hopefully he'll listen. Each one I gave out I made clear I wouldn't be responsible for whatever might happen.

A little update. Today I went ahead and transferred the two hydro plants to soil. As well as potting up one of each of the seedling varieties I had recently germinated.

The transfer went well so far, after I take off some soon to be ripe pods I will cut them back quite a lot in preparation for their move to my parents home in NJ during the first week of May. I'll take a few cuttings of them as well to add to my seedling stage plants which will be joining me on my own transplant to NM.

This week I'll also start brewing some worm tea once I get my hands on some molasses and a paint strainer/cheese cloth.

Here's an update:

The two plants in the larger planters are a CPI BJ and PepperLover's Orig. Yellow 7pot. The three red cups hold a Fatalii from THSC and a Bahamas Goat and Papa Joe's Yellow Scotch Bonnet from Chris. The ones still in rockwool have lost their tags and will probably be culled.

_MG_3442.JPG

Have you gotten in touch with CPI and let them know about their seeds? I had trouble once and they replaced the seeds--no questions asked.

Good luck with the move.

Have you gotten in touch with CPI and let them know about their seeds? I had trouble once and they replaced the seeds--no questions asked.

Good luck with the move.

No Patrick, I have not contacted the CPI, I haven't thought of doing so. I does seem like a rational thing to do.

And thanks.

If a moderator wishes to, this thread can be closed.

Well, car is packed for the drive to NMSU in Las Cruces, NM. I realized several weeks ago to give away those aforementioned starts to family as there was not any room left in the Cherokee. I have plenty of varieties to choose from for germination in January. I'll start another grow thread covering peppers/misc to be grown in my student garden plot offered by NMSU.

Take care!

Back