• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yaargh's 5gal DWC grow log

Alright, here's my go at growing a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga and a 7pod SR in 5gal DWC "bubbler" buckets. I started the seeds in rockwool and transplanted into 5gal buckets with leftover STG filler. I am using foxfarm "growbig" as a growth nutrient and will switch to the flowering nutrient whenever. The plants are under a 250w HPS lamp.

I recently topped the plants out of curiosity and will upgrade to a darkroom for higher lamp placement and to cut down the glow from the lamp on my tv...

Here is where they are at as of now.
_MG_3227.JPG

Corking is natural for Jalapenos and is a sign of ripeness not necessarily bad. Stressing the plants can make the pods hotter. I can't wait for my Jalmundos, but I got a long ways to go, seeds get started today.

Plants are looking great :dance:

Corking is natural for Jalapenos and is a sign of ripeness not necessarily bad. Stressing the plants can make the pods hotter. I can't wait for my Jalmundos, but I got a long ways to go, seeds get started today.

Plants are looking great :dance:

Yeah, I'm expecting them to cork. I was lead to believe, while normally occuring, corking can increase with heavy watering like how tomatoes will crack. Nonetheless, I won't be removing them until they're fully red.

are you using the three part fox farm line? or just the grow big? i noticed you said you were going to switch to bloom, but at what ratio?

thanks!

are you using the three part fox farm line? or just the grow big? i noticed you said you were going to switch to bloom, but at what ratio?

thanks!

I know this will sound terrible but I just eyeball the nutrients. Once I saw flowers and the plant was at the height I wanted it at I switched to Fox Farm Tiger Bloom. I put a few drops in per gallon jug along with a few drips of Botanicare Cal-Mag. When I was using Fox Farm Grow Big I supplemented with a bit of Liquid Karma.

Are you worried about the look of the corking on the pods... like you are going to pickle them or something? Or does corking affect the taste and heat of the pods themselves? I assume that is why I see a lot of jalapeno products that were harvested green. I have a couple of small green jalapeno pods so I need to make the decision soon about when to harvest.

N00b questions:

Can a pod ripen/change color after its been removed from the plant? I ask because I have that big green pod just sitting on my plant. If I don't harvest it will it spoil on the vine?

Are your plants pollinating w/ out any help or is the fan facilitating that?

I have a fan on the plants.

Are you worried about the look of the corking on the pods... like you are going to pickle them or something? Or does corking affect the taste and heat of the pods themselves? I assume that is why I see a lot of jalapeno products that were harvested green. I have a couple of small green jalapeno pods so I need to make the decision soon about when to harvest.

Normal corking found in large jalapeños is fine. I won't be pickling, they'll be stuffed and wrapped in thick cut bacon. Jalapeños with extreme corking, from what I've read, have tougher flesh and that's what I want to avoid.

And 'nother update. Gee, is hydro faster?
_MG_3294.JPG
noob question: what is hydro :)

lol i am just starting this grow thing and i am 14 years old :):):)

but i have to say ... it is a lot disappointing everyday you check for the plants if they sprouted but they didn't (lol i know it takes long but the fact that you have to check everyday creates hope , and then the hope is gone xD)

noob question: what is hydro :)

lol i am just starting this grow thing and i am 14 years old :):):)

but i have to say ... it is a lot disappointing everyday you check for the plants if they sprouted but they didn't (lol i know it takes long but the fact that you have to check everyday creates hope , and then the hope is gone xD)

Hydroponics can be represented in multiple types of systems that utilize oxygenated water/nutrient solution instead of soil.

I suggest doing a google search on hydroponics as there is a mass of information available.

Some plants take longer than others, have some patience and you'll be rewarded.

Finally, I've spotted a developing pod on the second hydro plant, which should be the 7pod SR as the pods set on the other hydro plant look T.S.'ish.

What a wait, hopefully this one visible pod will grow nicely. Now, if the jalamundo pods would hurry up and ripen, I'll soon enjoy my 1st homemade poppers.

i just got a quart of grow big one part concentrate, but this stuff comes out at 4.5ph? i had to add like 3ml/gallon of PH up to get it at 5.5
did you have this problem?

also were you using liquid karma(no idea what its made from) to make up for the lack of magnesium and sulfur? i was planning on just using epsom salt.

i just got a quart of grow big one part concentrate, but this stuff comes out at 4.5ph? i had to add like 3ml/gallon of PH up to get it at 5.5
did you have this problem?

also were you using liquid karma(no idea what its made from) to make up for the lack of magnesium and sulfur? i was planning on just using epsom salt.

I had to up the ph once when my leaves were displaying ph effects. No problems since. The tap watr is use is around 6.5 so I guess it balances itself out?

I used liquid karma, it's basically a seaweed fertilizer concentrate.

-

Ah, my jalamundo's are starting to ripen. However, they are not very humongus. They have a bit of girth but are kinda short. It don't know if it is from being grown in a 2.5 gal bucket. I don't see roots coming out of the holes but it still could be root bound.

I'll be keeping the plant until I move in August so these pods might just be runts?

tap water, thats a very good point. im using RO which is like 6 and has 0 buffering ability.

so you didn't see any ill effects from mag and sulfur deficiency? seaweed sounds like just a nitrogen source correct?

I'll have to look at the jug but I'm pretty sure Liquid Karma is Nitrogen heavy.

I also use Cal Mag, so I haven't had any insufficiencies that I would have noticed show up.

Well, I managed to harvest a few ripe Jalamundos. I'm pretty disappointed in both size and taste. I hope the shrimpy-ness of pods is the result of the plant being grown in a 2.5 gal pot. The pods did not contain any real heat either. I hope the next set of pods growing will grow a bit more true to their suggestive name.

I've spotted a few more pods on my hydro plants, the older ones are still not ripe but have shifted their light shade of green to being a very dark shade of green.

Here's the newly spotted TS pod
Trinidad%20Scorpion%20Morouga%20Unripe.jpg

Back