• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Scorpion - CARDI

Yellow Scorpion and Red Scorpion both picked today. The red is the hotter of the two but the size and production and sheer beauty of the yellow makes it a keeper. These pods are huge and meaty with all the folds, not much air all pepper. With all the superhots going around these are very edible with a 9.5 on the heat scale. I was asked about these yesterday in a private message, so here ya go.:cool:
IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

Nice looking pods Cappy! Damn big too. If those are a 9.5, is a "brain strain" a 10? Because if it is, a 9.5 might not be edible for me. These superhots are tearing me up this year.

I was too kind saying a 9.5 in heat as I just ate a whole pod cut up in a bowl of mac 'n cheese. Very tasty, they are 8.5 at best but can eat them everyday with a nice citris aroma and fruity flavor. The brain strain is twice the heat of any pepper I've ever experienced so I'd have to give it a 20. This Yellow Scorpion has just the right heat level. Another shot.
IMG_3238.jpg

those look amazing! sounds like it's giving you the perfect heat as well which means they probably won't last too long.

Our taste meter is the same PRF...I always gave it a 8.5 for heat. 10.0 for beauty/size. :) 12.0 for productivity! I pretty much find a lot of the super hots to be inedible so this is a refreshing change.

Chris

Hey cappy....You wouldn't happen to have any seeds from those yellows & brain strain varieties that you could send this way for an SASE do ya? :halo::whistle:

Congrats PRF, these are absolutely great looking peppers!!!

Ahem.. I see the yellow and red scorpions - The "Brain strain", is that the white pod in the middle?? ;) If so, don't chew too hard on it... :lol::lol:

R

Beautiful pepper PRF. I think I would grow it even if the peppers had no heat and no flavor. They look like petite upside down yellow roses. My flower planting neighbors would be so jealous.

I would like to please get in on the seed request too if you're going to flood the world with them like you did with the "Brain Strain".

rrene--The brain strain is a 7 Pot that PRF grows that is the most fearsome looking pepper out there. The heat is supposedly hotter than the Bhut. If you ask folks who've eaten both they usually say the brain strain. Do a search and you'll find it.

I have filled request of the Yellow Scorpion CARDI but most all trades will happen this winter. Do pods placed in the freezer then cut up a few weeks later still hold viable seed? I want to save more than I did, if not still have plenty of pods on the plant.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I have filled request of the Yellow Scorpion CARDI but most all trades will happen this winter. Do pods placed in the freezer then cut up a few weeks later still hold viable seed? I want to save more than I did, if not still have plenty of pods on the plant.

I doubt it. Fresh pods and seeds contain a lot of moisture and when frozen would rupture the seeds.

Silver_Surfer said:
Fresh pods and seeds contain a lot of moisture and when frozen would rupture the seeds.

Yep. If they are thoroughly dried it is fine to store them in the freezer.

I'm trying to be patient and wait for a seed offer, but I absolutely have to grow this pepper next year. Red Scorpions are probably my favorite pepper ever and the yellow looks just as good...

Just be patient a little longer another round of pods will be harvested in just a few weeks and I'll save all the seed this time.:banghead: Got you on the list ZanderSpice.

i'm currently growing aji limons from seeds which were kept in the freezer in their pods, so it is possible, although maybe not with certain varieties, i just don't know.

Back