• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Your favorite album?

Could not be just one. But if marooned on a desert island:

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.5 in E minor - Leonard Bernstein, and New York Philharmonic

The Who - Quadrophenia

Band of Gypsys – Hendrix

I could write a few pages! But...

Devin Townsend - Synchestra
Beatles - Revolver
Tomahawk - Mit Gas
Faith No More - King for a Day

Tough call, but all time favorite would have to be Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream."

Band of Horses "Cease to Begin" has gotten considerable playing time by me since it came out

it'd have to be Devin Townsend Band Terria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNaJ3WN1DE&feature=related

Lots of great albums posted here already. Hard to pick just one. Some of my favorites:

The Beatles - Help!
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

And of course, there's no album quite like the White Album. I'm not sure if I can imagine another album with so much range.

It's all about
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb
Poison the Well - The Tropic Rot
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Bomb the Music Industry! - Scrambles
Converge - Jane Doe

oh so so many others

I'd have to flip a coin -
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Pink Floyd - DSOTM

Even then there's a couple on the periphery yelling "vote for me, vote for me"

Queen II is an amazing album for example, as is 2112, Animals....oh whatever.. :crazy:

The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2001)

Maybe some of the Aussies on this board are familiar with this album...

hey like your avatar.... mesmerizing :eek:

That album just made it into triple js hottest 100 albums of all time at number 9.

I bought it when it came out on the strength of the single Frontier Psychiatrist and the title track. I have to say... I didn't like it at all. Don't think I ever gave it a second listen. But everyone else seems to think its great and it's been ten years so I might dig it out and give it one more spin. I'm not easily impressed tho.:snooty:

edit: Ok now I remember why I don't like it. Endless repetetive vocal samples. I guess it was a late 90s hangover thing. Music is all about repetition but there is a limit. It's like dressing all your kids in identical outfits or pulling your pants up to your armpits or wearing socks with sandals..... just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

I could go on for days, but here is my short list:

Deloused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta (one of the best albums, if not the best album, released in the last 10 yrs.)

Remain in Light - Talking Heads (It doesn't get any better than David Byrne, Brian Eno, and Adrian Belew)

Armchair Apocrypha - Andrew Bird (Amazing wordplay and even better musicianship and song construction)

Over-nite Sensation - Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention (Zappa at his best)

Demon Days - Gorillaz (Is there a better formed concept band, probably not)

I left out the obvious aka zeppelin, floyd, the beatles etc.

I could go on for days, but here is my short list:

Deloused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta (one of the best albums, if not the best album, released in the last 10 yrs.)

Remain in Light - Talking Heads (It doesn't get any better than David Byrne, Brian Eno, and Adrian Belew)

Armchair Apocrypha - Andrew Bird (Amazing wordplay and even better musicianship and song construction)

Over-nite Sensation - Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention (Zappa at his best)

Demon Days - Gorillaz (Is there a better formed concept band, probably not)

I left out the obvious aka zeppelin, floyd, the beatles etc.

Great list... Deloused is an amazing album!

Probably Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream. One of the first albums I ever had as a kid, and I found it in my dresser last summer and it didn't leave my car CD player all summer until I left it at a friend's house. I probably listened to it beginning to end at least 50 times last summer. Mayonaise= best song ever.

Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies is up there too.

Probably Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream. One of the first albums I ever had as a kid, and I found it in my dresser last summer and it didn't leave my car CD player all summer until I left it at a friend's house. I probably listened to it beginning to end at least 50 times last summer. Mayonaise= best song ever.
Yes awesome album!! That was easily their BEST album and it's right up there on my list. Think I'll put it on now :D

Back