• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Your favorite album?

I would listen to Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche for weeks at the time. Following in a very close second would be the black album by Metallica.

Favourite album!?
Almost impossible, I have 72 GB worth of music on my PC for a reason, not to mention the physical albums (cassettes and CDs), and I'm always searching youtube for more music to listen to.

I'm going to have to say David Bowie - Hunky Dory or Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
Just saying them because they are the oldest albums that I play a lot, more often than newer albums I also play a lot.

edit:
Probably Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream. One of the first albums I ever had as a kid, and I found it in my dresser last summer and it didn't leave my car CD player all summer until I left it at a friend's house. I probably listened to it beginning to end at least 50 times last summer. Mayonaise= best song ever.

Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies is up there too.
I loved the Siamese Dream album, one of my favourites from the 1990s. First Smashing pumpkins album I bought on CD and listened to it a lot. I went and found Pisces Iscariot after that.
Man this is painful, leaving out joe pass, miles davis and any jazz albums, Blues, ac/dc, black sabbath, pink floyd, beatles, spencer davis group and later stuff steve winwood did (go google the band and the songs "give me some loving", "I'm a man", "every little bit hurts", "keep on running", "goodbye stevie". Winwood was 16-18 years old when recording them) http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=spencer+davis+group+steve+winwood&aq=f
Also I miss not listing joy divison, jeff Buckley, the rolling stones, the stooges, funkadelic, portishead and radiohead. Plus a whole bunch of aussie bands, alternative, folk and electronic stuff I love.

I love variety more than anything, which is why I'm growing 20 chilli varieties x2 rather than 20ea of my favourite two types of chillies. :)

edit: Hey AB, you've had me listening to the smashing pumpkins all week, good stuff!

Hard to pick a favourite. Pablo I like most of the stuff you listed there :D

I used to be a DJ so I collected a LOT of music. There is over 440gb on my computer at the moment., not including duplicates.

As a DJ I had to play a LOT of music I which wouldn't bother you if you only heard it now and then.... but having to listen to it over and over again drives you nuts. About two thirds of my collection I can't stand!

I only have 183gb in my itunes library which I use as my default player. Since I last reset my itunes library data in september 2008 I have only used it to listen to 48gb or just under 7000 different songs, lots of those songs many times of course. I use my iPhone in the car and it syncs its data up too so those are fairly accurate stats.

Right now I'm listening to a lot of David Gray but he's really starting to depress me :P
Got a nineties grunge revival going as well. Lots of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. I seriously wore out my Siamese Dream cd back in the day. It was definitely my favourite album for a long time.
edit: OK Computer was also No.1 for a while.

Impossible to pick one. My musical taste includes everything from Classical, Country, Jazz, Rock of all types, and dare I say some old Disco from my Skate Rink days. Yeah, I was a Rink Rat. We have a 500 gig drive that's full and hundreds of albums on another 750. Full size, mind you, non-compressed.

Here are some of my absolute favorite albums, but I'm not sure I can pick just one:

"Caress Of Steel", "2112", "Permanent Waves", "A Farewell To Kings", "Vapor Trails", "Moving Pictures", "Grace Under Pressure", "Power Windows", "Presto", "Hold Your Fire", "Counterparts", "Test For Echo", "Snakes & Arrows", and "Signals", by Rush, though I love all of their stuff!
"When Dream And Day Unite", "Octavarium", "A Change Of Seasons", and "Images And Words", by Dream Theater
"Magnification", by Yes
"Boheme", by Deep Forest
"Transistor" and "Soundsystem", by 311
"Somewhere In Time", "A Matter Of Life And Death", "Powerslave" and "Brave New World", by Iron Maiden
"Escape", "Frontiers", and "Revelation", by Journey

Maybe I'll add to this, I don't know...

Genre: Band "Album"
Death Metal: Cannibal Corpse "Gallery of Suicide"
Thrash: Metallica "Kill 'em All"
Crossover: D.R.I. "Dealing With It"
Heavy Metal: Iron Maiden "Piece of Mind"
Punk: Dead Kennedys "In God We Trust, Inc."
Industrial: NIN "Downward Spiral"

Metallica's Master of Puppets is without question the best album of all time.
Ozzy is my favorite and Ozzy/Randy Tribute is a masterpiece but Master of Puppets is truly the defining moment in Metallica's history as well as metal/hard music altogether.
RIP Cliff Burton.

I could never pick just one but here's a few that I've listened to bazillions of times.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Black Sabbath - Paranoid + Black Sabbath + Master of Reality + Vol. 4
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Everything up to and including ...And Justice for All
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Dayglo Abortions - Feed Us a Fetus
Cryptic Slaughter - Money Talks
Dr. Know - Plug-in Jesus
Dead Horse - Horsecore: An Unrelated Story That's Time Consuming
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? + Electric Ladyland

:banghead:

I could never pick just one but here's a few that I've listened to bazillions of times.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Black Sabbath - Paranoid + Black Sabbath + Master of Reality + Vol. 4
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Everything up to and including ...And Justice for All
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
Dayglo Abortions - Feed Us a Fetus
Cryptic Slaughter - Money Talks
Dr. Know - Plug-in Jesus
Dead Horse - Horsecore: An Unrelated Story That's Time Consuming
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced? + Electric Ladyland

:banghead:

Hell yeah! Awesome picks everyone of them. Just don't meet alot of people that know Dayglo Abortions, though my favorites from them are Here Today, Guano Tomorrow and Two Dogs.
As well I must comment: I believe Metallica died with the black album, it's such a shame when good bands go mainstream instead of bringing the mainstream to them. Justice was indeed their last good, non-derivative album. :banghead: All day, every day. :banghead:

Hell yeah! Awesome picks everyone of them. Just don't meet alot of people that know Dayglo Abortions, though my favorites from them are Here Today, Guano Tomorrow and Two Dogs.
As well I must comment: I believe Metallica died with the black album, it's such a shame when good bands go mainstream instead of bringing the mainstream to them. Justice was indeed their last good, non-derivative album. :banghead: All day, every day. :banghead:

Yeah I met a guy online once years ago from Canada who was in a band and when I mentioned the Dayglos he couldn't believe it. Not only did he find it amazing someone in New Mexico, USA listened to them he also mentioned his band had just opened up for them at one of their shows. I can't remember his bands name for the life of me but he turned me onto their album and all I remember is the name of one song called "Hairy Areola" lol. That was pushing 20 years ago and I still remember bits of the song... it involved a lot of Lee Iacoca, Coca Cola, and "hey you get out of your Toyota, get out and take a look at my hairy areola". Anyway... ah memories.

Basically 98% of what I listen to is 80's and 90's punk and metal. Been listening to it since I first heard Black Sabbath around 1974.

Tool - Aenima

Tool - Lateralus

Pink Floyd - The Wall and The Dark Side of the Moon

Between the Buried and Me - Colors (Got to hang out with some of the guitarists :) )

Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect

The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton - Irony is A Dead Scene

Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - Disk 2 - Twilight to Starlight

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony

System of a Down - Toxicity, Steal this Album!, Hypnotize and Mezmerize

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

Devin Townsend - Can't decide on a favorite album by him yet, but he needs to be mentioned.

Horse the Band - The Mechanical Hand, Natural Death, Desperate Living

To name a few... I'm sure I'll think of 5 more once I post this lol.

There is no way that I could narrow it down to one album.
But here are a few that I couldn't go without....

Slayer----------- Reign In Blood
Metallica -------- Ride the Lightning
Pink Floyd ----- Dark Side of the Moon
Jimi Hendrix ----- Are You Experienced
Stevie Ray Vaughn --- Texas Flood
Pantera ------ Cowboys from Hell
AC/DC ---- Back in Black

And the album that started it all for me...
KISS ----- Alive II

I'm hoping that I haven't heard my favorite album yet. The rubbish that comes out daily squashes my optimism. Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Only thing missing from that album is an Opera song. I have had no less than 6 cassette/CDs of that album over the last 25 years.

And the album that started it all for me...
KISS ----- Alive II

Oh yeah! Mom took me to the record store (yes people actually bought records....in a STORE a long time ago). Her face was like :shocked: but she bought it for me.

Its amazing the folks on here with so much love for Rush, even saw a few folks liking Hold Your Fire and Presto! I pretty much like the whole catalog myself, but having to choose one would leave me with Rush In Rio.

Also digging the respect for Operation Mindcrime, Weezer's Blue Album, old school Iron Maiden and Van Halen.

Back