cutlery Your favorite kitchen knifes...

your favorite kitchen knives

I have a Henkels Germany chef's knife that I love, a Sabatier cleaver that just does so many jobs so well & a set of Sabatier knives (boning,paring & chef's) that are truly retro...1960's vintage...that I picked up for next to nothing in a thrift shop. That said, for quick, small jobs I always go for one of a set of inexpensive oversized steak knives made by Bene Casa. They are just the right size, weight & work so well. My sons laugh at me for using a steak knife for a paring knife....but whatever works!

You simply can't beat the Wusthof LCB range. If I didn't prefer full tang knives, then my next choice would be a Shun.
As for sharpening, I am very anal about my knives and I don't trust myself to set the bevel right so the Edge Pro is fantastic http://www.edgeproinc.com/Professional-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c2/

I have a Wusthof Classic set that has been good to me for many years, but a couple of custom made fillet knives (for fish) are my favs. I can SHAVE with them! (wouldn't recommend you try this though) :cool: :crazy:

I think I posted a pic of my Wusthof's before but can't find it in this thread...

I have a set of "Grand Prix"...except for the bread knife...dropped the original one flat on the floor and the blade sheared clean about 1/3 the way up...took it back to the place I bought it and they shipped it to Wusthof and I got a replacement...free...didn't have to pay shipping or anything...

The cleaver is a standard LamsonSharp Pro series 33100....

I absolutely love all of them

113010a003.jpg

my chefs and my friend have the wusthof classic knife sets and they're pretty happy with it. my instructor has had hers for about 11 years. hasn't failed her yet.

but like i mentioned, i'm liking those asian brands more. =D

don't have anything i can brag about yet, since i'm currently an unemployed culinary student. lol. i do have a couple knives that the school provided us. some german steel but assembled in china stuff. atlantic chef. never heard of it til i actually got to use them. they go dull within a day for me. crappy i'd say.

I use J. A. Henkels.

They seem to be up for the tasks at hand.

And I keep them with sharp with the Spiderco knife sharpening kit.

dvg

I have these
http://www.kingofknives.com/Cutlery/Brands/BRASILIA/Brasilia-Savana-10pc-Block-Set---NEW.html

The 6" Carving knife is my favourite.

I am really diggin' my santoku knives as of late.I have a Mac brand santoku that rules.I also use my tojiro nakiri alot!!!

I'm a huge fan of wooden handled Forschner knives from Switzerland. Reasonably priced and as far as I'm concerned sharp as you can get. I've got some that could really hurt you if you made a mistake. I've had more costly brands. I'll take Forschner anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Chris

I'm a huge fan of wooden handled Forschner knives from Switzerland. Reasonably priced and as far as I'm concerned sharp as you can get. I've got some that could really hurt you if you made a mistake. I've had more costly brands. I'll take Forschner anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Chris

Right on Chris! :dance: I bought a forschner chefs knife about fifteen years ago and it is still one of my go to knives for sure.You can't beat the quality for the price you pay.

in one word 'SANTOKU'

BUT I WANT A GOOD ONE!! THEY HAVE GOT TO BE THE MOST VERSATILE KNIFE OUT THERE
EXCELLENT FOR DE-SEEDING PEPPERS

THANKS YOUR FRIEND JOE

BUT I WANT A GOOD ONE!! THEY HAVE GOT TO BE THE MOST VERSATILE KNIFE OUT THERE
EXCELLENT FOR DE-SEEDING PEPPERS

a wusthoff santoku will do you wonders. also look out for shun and global santoku's. =D

I made all of my kitchen knives. Sometimes they're specifically for that purpose, other times they are test pieces. I've made santokus, paring knives, fillet knives, french chef knives and many more. I used to have a watermelon cutting knife that was about 18 inches long. I just wanted to go through it in one pass.

I used to make kitchen knife sets for wedding presents. After a while, it seemed like I was getting invited to a lot of weddings. :eek:

Jamie

Nothing super fancy. Just a cleaver that my g/f got me for my b-day a few years ago. It came from a chinese store and I think it was around $25. Damn thing has got to have about $60 worth of steel in it. It's great for those times when you want to knock off a few wing tips or if you have to split a table in half.

cleaver.jpg

I'm also looking at a Shun Premier Chef's knife. I've been extra good and am hoping it shows up around my b-day some time :).

Rambo kitchenware....

Did somebody say Rambo kitchenware? :dance:

18_inch_chefs_knife.jpg

I was thinking about this and have been working on it off and on for a little bit. It's forged from high carbon steel. It's rough ground in the picture, and I currently have it partially prefinished before I heat treat it. I'm working on it as I feel motivated, so sometimes other projects take precedence.

Jamie

Back